Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
'Humble Sinner' Bush Testifies to Power of Faith
Mon Apr 29,10:59 PM ET
By Patricia Wilson

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Declaring "I am just a humble sinner," President Bush (news - web sites) on Monday drew on his personal experience with alcohol abuse to illustrate how faith can help turn lives around.

In the South Central Los Angeles neighborhood ravaged by race riots a decade ago, Bush called on Congress to act on his controversial plan to allow religious groups to share in the federal funds available to deliver social services to the less fortunate, from the homeless to unwed mothers.

"Now, I don't want government to be the church and I don't want the church to be the government, but the government should not fear faith and faith-based programs," he said to murmured affirmations of "Amen" and "Yes."

Bush, who found God and gave up alcohol 15 years ago on his 40th birthday, is one of the most overtly religious presidents of recent times. He opens cabinet meetings with a prayer and often prays in the Oval office.

"Faith is a powerful motivator. ... I know first-hand what faith can mean in somebody's life, so I remind people I am just a humble sinner who saw redemption," he said. Stopping himself, Bush added: "I don't want to get too far."

Speaking at a church-sponsored redevelopment program to a mostly African-American audience, Bush said the universal call to love was something "to be nourished, not feared."

"When we fund programs we ought not to discriminate against faith-based programs or cause the faith-based program to have to change its mission in order to receive any money."

"ARMIES OF COMPASSION"

Sounding at times like a preacher, Bush called for soldiers to join "the armies of compassion" because "as Martin Luther King said, God isn't gonna do it all by himself."

Hours later, Bush joined forces with some of California's wealthiest Republicans for the first of two events expected to raise almost $4 million for gubernatorial candidate Bill Simon, who is trying to unseat Democratic incumbent Gray Davis.

As the glittering crowd arrived at a Los Angeles hotel in a parade of Ferraris, Aston Martins and Rolls Royces, about four dozen protesters demonstrated against Bush's Middle East policies, chanting "Long Live Palestine" and carrying signs that read "American Blood for Bush's Oil."

Comparing Simon's run to his own 1994 race for governor of Texas, Bush called the political novice "a breath of fresh air" and predicted California's voters would elect a man with "a positive vision." A Field poll released on Sunday showed Simon trailing Davis by 14 points.

With key state governorships and control of Congress at stake in November, Bush resumed his heavy fund-raising schedule, bringing to more than 20 the number of appearances he has made on behalf of Republican candidates since ending a four-month, post-Sept. 11 hiatus on politicking.

In New Mexico earlier on Monday, he headlined a $500,000 lunch for Rep. Heather Wilson. On Tuesday in Santa Clara, California, Bush will attend another fund-raiser for Simon, a man the White House quietly opposed in the Republican primary but embraced after his surprise victory over the preferred candidate, former Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan.

HIGH STAKES

The congressional stakes are high in the fall. Republicans control the House by just six seats and Democrats feel they have a chance to wrest the chamber away from them. Meanwhile, Republicans hope to regain the Senate, where Democrats hold 50 seats, Republicans 49 and one is independent.

Before flying to California, Bush broke with Republican leaders in the House and urged Congress to confront the stigma of mental illness by forcing health insurers to treat psychiatric and physical disease equally.

"Mental disability is not a scandal," Bush said at the University of New Mexico. "They deserve a health-care system that treats their illness with the same urgency as a physical illness."

Bush promised to work with Republican Sen. Pete Domenici of New Mexico, who was at his side. Domenici, whose daughter suffers from mental illness, has long championed federally enforced parity guaranteeing insurance for mental disorders as comprehensive as that offered for other illnesses.

The legislation faces key opposition from Republican leaders in the House, as well as business groups, who fear it would significantly increase the cost of health insurance. Some studies have estimated, however, that premiums would rise as little as 0.9 percent if it was enacted.

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I used to support President Bush wholeheartedly for the next election, but NOT ANYMORE.
After his incident in Tokyo where he worshipped at the Meiji Shrine, went out for a night of drinking with the Japanese prime minister, and THEN appeared on TV the next morning looking like he was drunk-and then not one word of repentance? :mad:
Not anymore. I'm supporting whoever runs against him in '04.
http://rpj.8k.com/English/covie_net_021602_1.html for a full rundown of the Meiji visit.

Upvote 0

Wildfire

Feb 13, 2002
Visit site
✟954.00
Well I have listened to many of his news confrences and radio addresses and have to applaud his efforts. He is encouraging marriage among men women (who are living on welfare) so their kids can have a better future: structured families build structured lives. He is also enforced faith based groups to help support marriages that are in trouble. And don't forget his "citizens on patrol" program (not the spin off from Police academy!) which encourages retired older types to be more involved with their neighbors and community.
AND not to mention reconstructing an entire country and establishing a government in Afghanistan, keeping our airports safe and trying to balance the crisis in the middle east.
I'm glad he finds time to pray, and is not ashamed to do so in front of the camera.
I'd say he's doing a fine job. I will re-elect him in the fall; I can't imagine Gore trying to run this country. I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
Wildfire

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Susan...

Do you think that Bush has made other bad decisions other than what was reprted by that Japanese newspaper.

BTW where did you get that article, I hadn't heard anything about that before. You'd think CNN would have just eaten that type of thing up. :)

God Bless

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I got the article off of the site for the Reformed Presbyterian church in Japan, http://rpj.8k.com/ which are the modern descendants of the Non-Shrine Christian Movement of persecution times.
For secular/Shintoist articles on the incident, you can check the English-language website archives of the Japanese newspapers. Namely, those would be Daily Mainichi, Daily Yomiuri, Japan Times, Tokyo Journal, and Kyodo.
I think he has made good decisions except for one really bad one. He didn't intervene in the California energy mess, while the bills were going through the roof. :mad:

Upvote 0

coastie

Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes.. I know quite a few people who have a problem with the Pres. because of that, but that's just a financial problem.

Can that lead to an immediate disapproval of the man's ability to lead?

I'll tell you where I stand...

I have real problem living in (let alone working for) a president who isn't a Christian, because you can't predict what they will do since they are not neccessarily spirit lead. But at least Bush is trying, which sets my heart at ease. He has done a lot for the military, which effects me personally, so I'd have to give him a thumbs up inspite of his short comings.

Upvote 0

two feathers

of the wilderness
Apr 22, 2002
A broken world
✟9,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i have not seen anything that would lead me to the belief that bush is of the christian faith. just because he quotes scripture from the bible and speaks of the power of faith, that doesn't mean he is a christian (remember, clinton did the same). keep in mind they are politicians. if professing christ gives them an upper hand, than professing they will do.

actions speak louder than words.
bush's foreign policies, especially his dealings with mexico, are not the actions of a god fearing man. i will not support a president that suppresses the people of other countries for the benefit of large-scale american investors.

ten times out of ten, i will back up the leader who worries more about what is in his heart rather than what is in his pocket. and to me bush is not that leader.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coastie

Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Tell me what you know about our Mexican Foreign policy.

here is what I know:

Befor September 11 President Bush and Presidente Fox were in discussions regarding trade, immigration, and drug trafficking. Presidente Fox and Pres Bush had established good political relationship (and they also had a pre-existing relationship when Bush was Governor of Texas).

After September 11 the U.S. plate was suddenly full. We had to put talks on hold. No policies have been made or even discussed since (except for issues regarding tightening up the border).

Here's a quote from Presidente Fox originally printed in the New York Times:

"For us, Sept. 11 did not change the pace of our work," President Fox said in an interview. "We have kept our focus. The United States has changed. They have had to pause. For them the focus on terrorism has forced them to put less attention on our bilateral issues.
[P]
"I understand that necessity. But at the same time, I would like to see that once their work is done we can advance on our pending issues."

So as you can see nothing really has happened, short of proposals regarding the inspection of imports, being made to the Mexican government. (Which did slow down the Mexican Economy; which tends to be rather shakey anyway)

I can speak from experience, that the Mexican government was not holding up their end of the bargain regarding drug trafficking (a good percentage of the money made from the trafficking was either directly or indirectly affiliated with Al-Queda(sp?) and other terrorist groups). Too many drugs are still getting through since their crack down on manufacturing is well above par.

Pres. Bush is doing well considering what has happened in the last year. Judging the Presidents Christianity is tough since you do not know him. However, he is the only President since Roosevelt that has opened up cabinet meetings with a prayer, and he established a "more conservative" dress code in the White House. While these things do not "make" him a Christian, they certainly are not the actions of a non-Christian, let alone an evil man.

People are very quick to judge authority. However, it is best to seek both sides of an argument in issues as comlicated as politics.

Zach

Upvote 0

two feathers

of the wilderness
Apr 22, 2002
A broken world
✟9,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When i speak of US foreign policy regarding Mexico, I speak primarily of NAFTA(North American Free Trade Agreement). Signed by President Clinton and now supported by Bush and his cabinet, NAFTA was(as defined to the Mexican people) Mexico's ticket out of a sad economic state. But in reality NAFTA was meant solely to benefit large corporations and hi-fi investors worldwide. Putting all power of Mexico's "well being" into the hands of American politicians. Since 1994, when the agreement was set into motion, Mexico has steadily fallen into a near fatal economic crisis. It's a sad and simple case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

Mexico's constitution was changed to allow for NAFTA to be set forth. Articles involving land were rewritten, taking land rights away from the people and giving those rights to multi-million dollar corporations. In Chiapas, Mexico, a revolt was started to fight this great injustice. The EZLN a.k.a. the Zapatistas decided enough was enough and vowed to take their country back and put absolute power into the hands of the people. Their revolt was met with deadly resistance by the Mexican Army. A Mexican Army that was armed with billions of dollars of United States state-of-the-art military equipment. Military equipment that was supposedly sent to Mexico to fight the war on drugs.....

Why does Bush continue to support NAFTA?
If one country suffers so that another may prosper, how is that right?

As you said coastie:
"People are very quick to judge authority. However it is best to seek both sides of an argument in issues as complicated as politics."

I hope you don't think that i am casting stones. But when I see wrongs being done, especially by leaders who are seen as Christians, I am very critical.

Upvote 0

coastie

Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for the insightful reply.

I agree that NAFTA did more harm than good to Mexico. I love Mexico in general. The coutry tries and tries to maintain an economically sound state, however, things continue to happen, triggered by bad decisions by their own government.

The economic colapse in 1996 was due to their over-zealous expansion in textiles, which almost immediately lowered in value. Poor foresight. NAFTA looked like a dream come true. Everyone thouhgt that they would get their cake and eat it too.

However, I hold that NAFTA didn't neccessarily cause Mexico's economic state, but it did eventually make it worse. Unfortunately, Nafta is a multi-national agreement, it won't just disolve if it flounders. That's a risk that Mexico took.

President Bush did not draft the agreement, his admisitration supports it asofar as that it will continue to increase American economic prosperity.

President Bush, as I stated before, was working on helping Mexico, as a matter of fact, in the same article from which I took President Fox's quote, Bush said something to the effect of "mexico is one of our greatest economic allies" (paraphrased) and went on to say:

"Our nation's economic stability relies greatly on our neighbor's economic growth."

(The article was about the talks have been put on the back burner due to the terrorist attacks)

Ok... I'm rambling, I believe that a great deal of the talks were meant to deal with issues regarding Mexican Economic stability. I have no direct proof since the only articles on that sort of thing that our media thinks are news worthy are one's regarding drug trafficking.

My bottom line is this... Bush dislikes illegal immigration greatly. To eliminate that problem he believes that Mexico's economy needs to be strengthened. It would be stupid for any President (GOP or otherwise) to do anything but support the Mexican Economy.

You have to do the best that you can with what you have.

I hope you don't think that i am casting stones. But when I see wrongs being done, especially by leaders who are seen as Christians, I am very critical.

Not at all, you absolutely had a valid argument. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to stand on my soap box :)

Zach

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Susan
Yeah, i like him, the only thing I really have against him is his unrepentant Shinto worship.

firstly, i doubt that the prez was in any deep shinto worship while over there. he was probably just going to a shinto temple as a stunt to show respect to Japanese culture.

secondly, (not saying it's bad to be religious) i do not base my politcal opinion on a person's faith, but their political history, policies, and intelligence. when it comes to who represents me, its almost "the less religious, the better" mainly because religion can cause bias. as for president bush, i think he's lousy, just a figurehead for the right, he's had many lousy policies, but he hasn't totally been a wreck as i had expected him to be.

Upvote 0

coastie

Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
as for president bush, i think he's lousy, just a figurehead for the right, he's had many lousy policies, but he hasn't totally been a wreck as i had expected him to be.

What policies are you refering to?

I personally prefer a Christian Pres because we would have the same views on many important issues. That is important!

Zach

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

coastie

Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Please be more specific, if you hve a valid point, I would be interested in hearing it. Just saying "environmental policies" says nothing regarding what problems you have with them or which of the 9 policies you are refering to.

Zach

Upvote 0