• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟972,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As your tagline so aptly puts it, "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him. (John 3:36 ESV)"
Amen - and Jesus makes the case that HE does not speak His own word - but only the Word of the Father.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟7,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
God made the Ten Commandments
  1. "do not take God's name in vain"
  2. "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy"
  3. "do not murder"

"IF you LOVE Me - KEEP - My Commandments" John 14:15.
What matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
"This IS The LOVE of God that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:3

The Bible never makes the case "Love God OR keep His Commandments"
John 13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” - Context for John 14:15

(Paul) Galatians 2:21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!” - Context 1 Cor 7:19 (Paul)

1 John 4:20 If anyone says, “I love God,” yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For the person who does not love his brother he has seen cannot love the God he has not seen. 21 And we have this command from Him: The one who loves God must also love his brother. - Context 1 John 5:3

What is greater? The Sabbath, or our God that is LORD of the Sabbath?

Adding for you, not an either or question, just asking,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟538,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hey there,

John 13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” - Context for John 14:15
Just so I understand are you claiming that a "new command" replaces all other commandments and if so can you point out that scripture. Do you really think loving one another only started when Jesus said it in the NT but was never before that? The context to John 14:15 is all of God's commandments which would include Exo 20:6 because Jesus quoted directly from those Mat 15:3-14 Mark 7:7-13 Mat 19:17-19 and taught not to break the least of these as one would be of fear of sin and Judgement Mat 5:19-30 which we see play out at the Second Coming Rev 22:14-15
(Paul) Galatians 2:21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!” - Context 1 Cor 7:19 (Paul)
Keeping God's law leads one to righteousness, we are not made righteousness by the law, which means we could save ourselves; we are only made righteous by Christ through faith. Obeying God the way He asks is an example of faith and that faith leads one to righteousness. Sin or disobeying God on the other hand leads one on the wrong path

Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
1 John 4:20 If anyone says, “I love God,” yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For the person who does not love his brother he has seen cannot love the God he has not seen. 21 And we have this command from Him: The one who loves God must also love his brother. - Context 1 John 5:3
Amen, why would you think it wouldn't include the commandments to not steal from our brother, or lie to them, or covet what they have, or committing adultery with their spouses loving God and loving neighbor is keeping God's commandments- its the definition of love.

1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

Romans 13:9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” [a]“You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

The Ten Commandments is the summary of the greatest commandments. The first 4 how to love and worship God, the last six how to love and honor our brother. The summary does not delete the details.

What is greater? The Sabbath, or our God that is LORD of the Sabbath?

Adding for you, not an either or question, just asking,
The same could be said for which is greater God or only worshipping God. God is greater and if we believe that is so, we would live by every Word that proceeds out of His mouth Mat 4:4 and would keep His commandments through love and faith which is how a saved person lives Rev 14:12 which reconciles Rev 22:14

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟7,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey there,

Just so I understand are you claiming that a "new command" replaces all other commandments and if so can you point out that scripture. Do you really think loving one another only started when Jesus said it in the NT but was never before that?

Keeping God's law leads to righteousness, we are not made righteousness by the law, which means we could save ourselves, we are only made righteous through faith. Obeying God the way He asks is an example of faith and that faith leads one to righteousness. Sin or disobeying God on the other hand leads one on the wrong path
There is Spirit within your words. I have a hard verse to process, but I will withhold it. I respect your words as I read them in Spirit.
Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
It is profound that you quoted this verse. I see more Spirit in your words.
Amen, why would you think it wouldn't include the commandments to not steal from our brother, or lie to them, or covet what they have, or committing adultery with their spouses loving God and loving neighbor is keeping God's commandments- its the definition of love.
Which is more profound? Love or Law of Writ? Your answer is released from an either or scenario. Saying one does not invalidate the other, yet which is "More" profound? What does the Spirit within you say? In fairness you have answered correctly and have no need to answer.
1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.
Amen!
The same could be said for which is greater God or only worshipping God. God is greater and if we believe that is so, we would live by every Word that proceeds out of His mouth Mat 4:4
More Spirit speaking through a wonderfully blessed clay Jar of the Master. <3

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟55,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The same could be said for which is greater God or only worshipping God. God is greater and if we believe that is so, we would live by every Word that proceeds out of His mouth Mat 4:4 and would keep His commandments through love and faith which is how a saved person lives Rev 14:12 which reconciles Rev 22:14
The tricky part here is avoiding throwing all non-Sabatarian Christians under the bus as lost because they don't "keep" the Sabbath while promoting Sabatarianism via saved by Grace.

Focusing on a commandment, practice, or tradition is not focusing on Christ. If I lead a thousand to believe that they should keep my practices as evidence that they are saved by Grace, could that mean a thousand lost? But if I humble myself in the sight of the Lord, and He lifts me to tell the world about the joy I have found, can I not trust Christ to meet their needs?

I have to meet Sabatarians who are so befuddled by what Paul writes about the law and Grace that they declare him a deceiver. At least one on this board believes so because they can't reconcile Grace and work.

If we, like Paul, start witnessing Christ and Him crucified, we will fulfill the Great Commission instead of focusing most of our time and effort on what we view in Christendom as the Great Omission.

Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟538,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The tricky part here is avoiding throwing all non-Sabatarian Christians under the bus as lost because they don't "keep" the Sabbath while promoting Sabatarianism via saved by Grace.

Focusing on a commandment, practice, or tradition is not focusing on Christ. If I lead a thousand to believe that they should keep my practices as evidence that they are saved by Grace, could that mean a thousand lost? But if I humble myself in the sight of the Lord, and He lifts me to tell the world about the joy I have found, can I not trust Christ to meet their needs?

I have to meet Sabatarians who are so befuddled by what Paul writes about the law and Grace that they declare him a deceiver. At least one on this board believes so because they can't reconcile Grace and work.

If we, like Paul, start witnessing Christ and Him crucified, we will fulfill the Great Commission instead of focusing most of our time and effort on what we view in Christendom as the Great Commission.
Disobeying God's commandments is not focusing on Christ, nor is it love to Him. John 14:15 1 John 5:3 Exo 20:6 forgetting what God said to Remember is not the way to honor God according to His Words Isa 58:13 Isa 56:1-6

Plucking out the Sabbath commandment is not something God did Exo 34:28 Deut 4:13 its not just breaking the Sabbath commandment- breaking any of the commandments is like breaking them all James 2:10-12 Mat 5:19-30

Well lets look at the Great Commision

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” [d]Amen.

Did the apostles take the same approach your teaching, that we can ignore the commandment to observe the Sabbath and not live by the teachings and example of Jesus Christ.

No they didn't they observed every Sabbath decades after the cross, because that is what a servant does, they obey their Master.

Acts 13: 42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.
Acts 13: 44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.
Acts 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.

Not keeping the Sabbath commandment is no different than breaking any of the other commandments. While we are not saved by law keeping, we are only saved by faith through the blood of Jesus, but obeying God is a fruit of one's faith because we trust and place our faith in Him and live by His every Word Mat 4:4 instead of yielding ourselves to another master Rom 6:16

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟7,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Disobeying God's commandments is not focusing on Christ, nor is it love to Him. John 14:15 1 John 5:3 Exo 20:6 forgetting what God said to Remember is not the way to honor God according to His Words Isa 58:13 Isa 56:1-6

Plucking out the Sabbath commandment is not something God did Exo 34:28 Deut 4:13 its not just breaking the Sabbath commandment- breaking any of the commandments is like breaking them all James 2:10-12 Mat 5:19-30

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” [d]Amen.

Did the apostles take the same approach your teaching, that we can ignore the commandment to observe the Sabbath and not live by the teachings and example of Jesus Christ.

No they didn't they observed every Sabbath decades after the cross, because that is what a servant does, they obey their Master.

Acts 13: 42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.
Acts 13: 44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.
Acts 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.

Not keeping the Sabbath commandment is no different than breaking any of the other commandments. While we are not saved by law keeping, we are only saved by faith through the blood of Jesus, but obeying God is a fruit of one's faith because it shows we live by His every Word Mat 4:4 instead of yielding ourselves to another master Rom 6:16

• Informative
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟7,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Please expand on the point you are trying to make.
Unfortunately, it is a point that I have no right to expound on. It is a point that comes from a place of difficulty and Spiritual mourning.

You, SabbathBlessings, Love the Lord your God with all of your Heart, Mind and Spirit. I have faith that you Love your neighbor, "all humanity", as if each were the very face of God in whom you devote your every moment to. That is more than enough.

All Love in Jesus Christ to you, Sibling in Him.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟538,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, it is a point that I have no right to expound on. It is a point that comes from a place of difficulty and Spiritual mourning.
Sorry I am not following. We can reason with the scriptures.

The law can be difficult if we don't understand the difference in the law God personally wrote and spoke Exo 31:18 Exo 32:16 and the laws Moses wrote that was placed outside the ark. One set of laws is Perfect for converting the soul Psa 19:7 one set was handwritten by Moses placed outside the ark that contained the ordinances that was a witness against Deut 31:24-26 because when we get to the NT Paul often just uses the word "law" and unless we have a fundamental understanding on the different laws, their purpose, more than likely we are not going to understand the correct message Paul is teaching- especially if it goes against something God personally wrote and spoke and is a commandment of God. Paul never contradicts the teachings of Jesus and servant is not greater than his master John 13:16, so if one can't find a duplicate from Jesus on the same teaching, I am pretty sure one does not understand Paul correctly if using his teachings to countermand the teachings of Jesus, which is why scripture says he is difficult to understand. It's safer if we don't understand to trust and believe the teachings of Jesus and follow His example 1 John 2:6 He will never lead us down the wrong path.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:16
You, SabbathBlessings, Love the Lord your God with all of your Heart, Mind and Spirit. I have faith that you Love your neighbor, "all humanity", as if each were the very face of God in whom you devote your every moment to. That is more than enough.

All Love in Jesus Christ to you, Sibling in Him.
Thank you, my dear friend. I struggle like the rest of us, but I feel our time on this earth is coming to a close very soon. We all have to ground ourselves in God's Word and trust and believe in Him and live by His every Word. No one will regret not obeying Him - He said we can't even imagine what He has in store for us. But I do think there will be lots of regrets for believing in mans traditions over obeying God's commandments- Jesus said so Mat 15:3-14 Mat 7:7-13 Mar 7:21-23 Mat 5:19-30 and He loves us so much He gave us everything, and asks for so little back. John 14:15

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟55,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me stop you here. Who are you to declare anyone else as disobeying God. Are you willing to stand up and tell us how you keep the Sabbath.

Are you willing to show everyone your credentials of obedience to Christ? It might be difficult just after disobeying God by judging others.

People who do not adhere to your particular interpretations of Gods commands does not mean that they are disobeying God.

Why did Christ not command the demoniac to preach the Sabbath but instead simply told him to tell others what God had done for them.

More later,

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟538,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Let me stop you here. Who are you to declare anyone else as disobeying God. Are you willing to stand up and tell us how you keep the Sabbath.

Are you willing to show everyone your credentials of obedience to Christ? It might be difficult just after disobeying God by judging others.

People who do not adhere to your particular interpretations of Gods commands does not mean that they are disobeying God.

Why did Christ not command the demoniac to preach the Sabbath but instead simply told him to tell others what God had done for them.

More later,
Would you make the same argument for someone committing adultery or committing murder. Is that okay too? Where do you draw the line. The line is not for us to make because we are not God. God wrote and spoke His holy and eternal law. Exo 32:16 Exo 34:18 Psa 89:34 Mat 5:18-19

How hard is this to understand? No need for wild interpretations just believe what God wrote and spoke and live by His every Word.

Exo 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Its just as easy to understand as thou shalt not murder or thou shalt not have other gods before Me. He wrote it plain and simple by design.

You are not arguing with me, I did not write or speak this commandment- God did. Your argument is with a much Higher Authority than I.

I have no problem sharing with anyone how I keep the Sabbath, all anyone has to do is ask. The scriptures are filled with ways to keep the Sabbath day holy from the Old to the New.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟55,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you make the same argument for someone committing adultery or committing murder. Is that okay too? Where do you draw the line. The line is not for us to make because we are not God. God wrote and spoke His holy and eternal law. Exo 32:16 Exo 34:18 Psa 89:34 Mat 5:18-19

How hard is this to understand? No need for wild interpretations just believe what God wrote and spoke and live by His every Word.

Exo 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Its just as easy to understand as thou shalt not murder or thou shalt not have other gods before Me. He wrote it plain and simple by design.

You are not arguing with me, I did not write or speak this commandment- God did. Your argument is with a much Higher Authority than I.

I have no problem sharing with anyone how I keep the Sabbath, all anyone has to do is ask. The scriptures are filled with ways to keep the Sabbath day holy from the Old to the New.
You have violated a command of Christ but justify it by your interpretations.

That is what the flesh does. Is it ok then for you to relax and watch the ball game Sabbath afternoon. That is not work. Would you take the family out to the swimming pool? That would not be work. Where do you draw the line?

How many of the commands the Lord gave to Israel do you ignore? All but the 10 commands? Oh, maybe you throw in parts of Lev 11.

Where do you draw the line? Should we stone sabbath breakers or run them through as God commands?

Now, I am sure that you are aware of Paul’s adminition to “…not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.”

I know that you also interpret that passage as referring to other sabbaths than the weekly one even though there is no proof for that claim.

And yet you pass judgement upon those who do not draw the line where you do. This is what I am referring to when I say there is danger in “law keeping.”

Law keeping is an out growth of salvation.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟538,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
For those interested in the context to Col 2:14-17

Where in the Ten Commandments does it deal with food, drink, festivals, new moons and sabbath(s) its plural here, but modern bible translations changes it to singular, but that's not in the original transcripts. No where does the Ten Commandments deal with these things, but it is in the handwritten ordinances by Moses. So not referring to the Ten Commandments, plus we should have faith that God keeps His promises. Psa 89:34 Mat 5:18-19

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

So we know this from Colossians 2:14 the context is about
1. ordinances that are handwritten
2. ordinances- not The Ten Commandments
3. ordinances that are contrary and against

Does this fit the Ten Commandment/Sabbath commandment in any way?
1. The Ten Commandments/Sabbath was finger-written by God Exo 31:18 Exo 32:16
2. The Ten are commandments Exo 20:6 Deut 4:13 Exo 34:28
3. The Sabbath is holy and blessed by God- not the definition for contrary or against. Plus only God can reverse His blessing Num 23:20 so one would need a thus saith the Lord to change His commandments- all the thus saith the Lords on His Sabbath and there are many are for us to keep and not profane.

Obviously if one is being honest, this is not about any of the Ten Commandments.

This 'handwriting of ordinances' our Lord did blot out, take away, and nail to His cross. (Colossians 2: 14.) But the moral law contained in the Ten Commandments, and enforced by the prophets, He did not take away.... The moral law stands on an entirely different foundation from the ceremonial or ritual law. ...Every part of this law must remain in force upon all mankind and in all ages.
—JOHN WESLEY, Sermons on Several Occasions, 2-Vol. Edition, Vol. I, pages 221, 222.

There is more than one Sabbath in scripture, so obviously not referring to the weekly Sabbath commandment, but the yearly sabbath(s) and festival ordinances that were handwritten by Moses placed outside the ark of the covenant that are about food and drink offering that all pointed forward to Christ 1 Cor 5:7 Exo 12:43

Deuteronomy 31:24 So it was, when Moses had completed writing the words of this law in a book, when they were finished, 25 that Moses commanded the Levites, who bore the ark of the covenant of the Lord, saying: 26 “Take this Book of the Law, and put it beside the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there as a witness against you;

The book that contained the ordinances were outside the ark- all of the Ten Commandments, which includes the Sabbath commandment are inside the ark, written by God Himself, no greater Authority than He.

Colossians 2:17 gives us more insight...

Col 2:17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Lets go to Hebrews 10 as it explains it....

Hebrews10:1 For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. 2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins. 3 But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins. 5 Therefore, when He came into the world,

The Sabbath commandment is not a shadow of anything, it was part of Creation Gen 2:1-3 God’s perfect plan before the fall of man and God said Remember the Sabbath day- the Sabbath brings us back to Creation Exo 20:11 so we never forget who created us and where we came from. The annual sabbath(s) ordinances that had to do with food and drink offerings came after the fall of man so Paul made it abundantly clear he was not referring to the Sabbath commandment that he himself kept every Sabbath decades after the Cross. Jesus in His own Words predicted 30+ years after His death His people at the destruction of Jerusalem would still be keeping the Sabbath Mat 24:20 and the Sabbath continues for worship for eternity thus saith the Lord Isa 66:22-23. If we have faith in Jesus we really need to have faith in His teachings Mat 5:18-30 Mat 15:3-14 Mark 7:7-13 Mat 19:17-19 and the example He left for us. Luke 4:16 I John 2:6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟55,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For those interested in the context to Col 2:14-17

Where in the Ten Commandments does it deal with food, drink, festivals, new moons and sabbath(s) its plural here, but modern bible translations changes it to singular, but that's not in the original transcripts. No where does the Ten Commandments deal with these things, but it is in the handwritten ordinances by Moses. So not referring to the Ten Commandments, plus we should have faith that God keeps His promises. Psa 89:34 Mat 5:18-19

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

So we know this from Colossians 2:14 the context is about
1. ordinances that are handwritten
2. ordinances- not The Ten Commandments
3. ordinances that are contrary and against

Does this fit the Ten Commandment/Sabbath commandment in any way?
1. The Ten Commandments/Sabbath was finger-written by God Exo 31:18 Exo 32:16
2. The Ten are commandments Exo 20:6 Deut 4:13 Exo 34:28
3. The Sabbath is holy and blessed by God- not the definition for contrary or against. Plus only God can reverse His blessing Num 23:20 so one would need a thus saith the Lord to change His commandments- all the thus saith the Lords on His Sabbath and there are many are for us to keep and not profane.

Obviously if one is being honest, this is not about any of the Ten Commandments.

This 'handwriting of ordinances' our Lord did blot out, take away, and nail to His cross. (Colossians 2: 14.) But the moral law contained in the Ten Commandments, and enforced by the prophets, He did not take away.... The moral law stands on an entirely different foundation from the ceremonial or ritual law. ...Every part of this law must remain in force upon all mankind and in all ages.
—JOHN WESLEY, Sermons on Several Occasions, 2-Vol. Edition, Vol. I, pages 221, 222.

There is more than one Sabbath in scripture, so obviously not referring to the weekly Sabbath commandment, but the yearly sabbath(s) and festival ordinances that were handwritten by Moses placed outside the ark of the covenant that are about food and drink offering that all pointed forward to Christ 1 Cor 5:7 Exo 12:43

Deuteronomy 31:24 So it was, when Moses had completed writing the words of this law in a book, when they were finished, 25 that Moses commanded the Levites, who bore the ark of the covenant of the Lord, saying: 26 “Take this Book of the Law, and put it beside the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there as a witness against you;

The book that contained the ordinances were outside the ark- all of the Ten Commandments, which includes the Sabbath commandment are inside the ark, written by God Himself, no greater Authority than He.

Colossians 2:17 gives us more insight...

Col 2:17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Lets go to Hebrews 10 as it explains it....

Hebrews10:1 For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. 2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins. 3 But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins. 5 Therefore, when He came into the world,

The Sabbath commandment is not a shadow of anything, it was part of Creation Gen 2:1-3 God’s perfect plan before the fall of man and God said Remember the Sabbath day- the Sabbath brings us back to Creation Exo 20:11 so we never forget who created us and where we came from. The annual sabbath(s) ordinances that had to do with food and drink offerings came after the fall of man so Paul made it abundantly clear he was not referring to the Sabbath commandment that he himself kept every Sabbath decades after the Cross. Jesus in His own Words predicted 30+ years after His death His people at the destruction of Jerusalem would still be keeping the Sabbath Mat 24:20 and the Sabbath continues for worship for eternity thus saith the Lord Isa 66:22-23. If we have faith in Jesus we really need to have faith in His teachings Mat 5:18-30 Mat 15:3-14 Mark 7:7-13 Mat 19:17-19 and the example He left for us. Luke 4:16 I John 2:6
The problem isn't whether one reinterprets scripture to fit one's beliefs; it's about why one does what one does. Judging is wrong no matter what one does to justify it. As Paul says, "One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11It is written:

“ ‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will acknowledge God.’ ”
So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.

The fact that Christ has given us His righteousness and made us perfect by His one great sacrifice leaves no room for judgment. When I see people selecting passages from the covenant God made with Israel and elevating them as necessary for salvation, it raises red flags. Among those who focus on the law, some say you can't be saved if you don't keep the Sabbath; others agree but add you must also keep the Jewish dietary laws, while others say yes, but you must also keep the feast days.

In all of this, the narrow way to salvation can be lost. That narrow way is Christ. If one is complete in Christ and Christ alone, then everything they do is for him, and all they do is acceptable to God, their Abba. If one attempts to add to Christ's righteousness by any means, all they do is corrupt and a mere sacrifice to the idol of self.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟55,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Not keeping the Sabbath commandment is no different than breaking any of the other commandments. While we are not saved by law keeping, we are only saved by faith through the blood of Jesus, but obeying God is a fruit of one's faith because we trust and place our faith in Him and live by His every Word Mat 4:4 instead of yielding ourselves to another master Rom 6:16
In General, if you believe that Christ is commanding you to treat the Sabbath differently than you do other days, do so. If you believe Christ wishes you to keep the feast days, do so. But include in this Christ's command against judging others.

Those who do not treat the Sabbath any differently than any other day simply may not have been commanded by the Lord to do so. The greatest Christians I have ever known were marked by the fruit of the spirit and not their commandment keeping.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟538,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said the Sabbath was made for mankind. Mark 2:27 so unless someone is from another species, according to Jesus who I place my full trust in, the Sabbath was made for us. And the scriptures tell us why it was made for us.

1. It's a commandment of God Exo 20:8-11 - just like only worshipping God Exo 20:3, or not committing adultery Exo 20:14- same unit written by the Authority of God Himself Exo 32:16, which there is no greater Authority to countermand the Words that proceeds out of the mouth of God- Jesus said to live by. Mat 4:4
2. We are made in the image of God to follow Him- God hallowed the Sabbath at Creation Exo 20:11 before sin, before Jew. He rested and blessed the Sabbath day Gen 2:1-3 for our example as we are made in His image Gen 1:26 to follow Him, not do our own thing as if we know better than He.
3. The Sabbath is meant to sanctify us because man cannot sanctify themselves, we need God Eze 20:12 sadly most think they can sanctify themselves; we don't need God or we can have His sanctification on our own terms.
4. The Sabbath is a sign according to God that when keeping shows we are one of God's people Eze 20:20 - why anyone rejects this is beyond me because in the end- we will either have God's seal, or by default be marked by the beast i.e. the other spirit. We are sealed though His law Isaiah 8:16. The Sabbath is the commandment that contains God's seal- The only commandment that shows He is the God of Creation- He made Heaven and Earth and everything that's in them, why people reject His Sabbath so much is really beyond me, other than what God tells us in scripture Rom 8:7-8 2 Thessalonians 2:11
6. The Sabbath is meant to honor God, on His holy day, the holy day of the Lord thus saith the Lord Isa 58:13 Christ changes not which is why the Sabbath continues for worship and to honor God for eternity thus saith the Lord Isa 66:22-23
7. Christ in His own Words (another thus saith the Lord) says when we keep His Sabbath He blesses us because we join ourselves to Him, to be His servant, to love His name and it is doing righteousness- He relates those who profane it as doing evil. These are not my Words, they are Christ.

There so many more reasons than 7 but sounds like a good number to stop at. We should stop at the very first reason, because God said so, should be good enough.

Isa 56:1 Thus says the Lord:

“Keep justice, and do righteousness,

For My salvation is about to come,
And My righteousness to be revealed.
2 Blessed is the man who does this,
And the son of man who lays hold on it;
Who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,
And keeps his hand from doing any evil.”

6 “Also the sons of the foreigner
Who join themselves to the Lord, to serve Him,
And to love the name of the Lord, to be His servants—
Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,
And holds fast My covenant

I believe when Christ said everyone- He meant just that. We will all have to answer to Him one day soon on why we were exempt from not having faith by not living by the Words that proceeded out of His mouth. I do not judge anyone for keeping or not keeping the Sabbath, but according to Jesus, there will be some consequences for breaking and teaching others to break the least of these commandments as one would be in fear of sin and Judgement, thus saith the Lord Mat 5:19-30. because breaking one of God's commandments is like breaking them all James 2:10-12 James said only quoting and contrasting the Ten Commandments which we see play out just as promised Mat 7:23 Rev 22:14-15. How long did Noah preach before people realized they made a deadly mistake- Christ compares His Second Coming to the days of Noah.

Most miss out on the blessing Christ is trying to give us by keeping His Sabbath- there are so many. This argument is not with me on the Sabbath- one day I will need to count how many verses on the Sabbath have a thus saith the Lord and not one tells us not to keep. People use Paul words to countermands God's Words, which is why there is this warning in scripture 2 Peter 3:16. Paul was a faithful servant and a servant is never greater than their master which is why Paul also kept every Sabbath decades after the Cross, just as Jesus said His faithful would Mat 24:20 because he also wanted to serve Christ, just like we all should.

Please take a moment to read Isa 56 to see who one is really arguing with. Its written as clear as can be along with so many other scriptures, but we have free will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟55,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said the Sabbath was made for mankind. Mark 2:27 so unless someone is from another species, according to Jesus who I place my full trust in, the Sabbath was made for us. And the scriptures tell us why it was made for us.

1. It's a commandment of God Exo 20:8-11 - just like only worshipping God Exo 20:3, or not committing adultery Exo 20:14- same unit written by the Authority of God Himself Exo 32:16, which there is no greater Authority to countermand the Words that proceeds out of the mouth of God- Jesus said to live by. Mat 4:4
2. We are made in the image of God to follow Him- God hallowed the Sabbath at Creation Exo 20:11 before sin, before Jew. He rested and blessed the Sabbath day Gen 2:1-3 for our example as we are made in His image Gen 1:26 to follow Him, not do our own thing as if we know better than He.
3. The Sabbath is meant to sanctify us because man cannot sanctify themselves, we need God Eze 20:12 sadly most think they can sanctify themselves; we don't need God or we can have His sanctification on our own terms.
4. The Sabbath is a sign according to God that when keeping shows we are one of God's people Eze 20:20 - why anyone rejects this is beyond me because in the end- we will either have God's seal, or by default be marked by the beast i.e. the other spirit. We are sealed though His law Isaiah 8:16. The Sabbath is the commandment that contains God's seal- The only commandment that shows He is the God of Creation- He made Heaven and Earth and everything that's in them, why people reject His Sabbath so much is really beyond me, other than what God tells us in scripture Rom 8:7-8 2 Thessalonians 2:11
6. The Sabbath is meant to honor God, on His holy day, the holy day of the Lord thus saith the Lord Isa 58:13 Christ changes not which is why the Sabbath continues for worship and to honor God for eternity thus saith the Lord Isa 66:22-23
7. Christ in His own Words (another thus saith the Lord) says when we keep His Sabbath He blesses us because we join ourselves to Him, to be His servant, to love His name and it is doing righteousness- He relates those who profane it as doing evil. These are not my Words, they are Christ.

There so many more reasons than 7 but sounds like a good number to stop at. We should stop at the very first reason, because God said so, should be good enough.

Isa 56:1 Thus says the Lord:

“Keep justice, and do righteousness,

For My salvation is about to come,
And My righteousness to be revealed.
2 Blessed is the man who does this,
And the son of man who lays hold on it;
Who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,
And keeps his hand from doing any evil.”

6 “Also the sons of the foreigner
Who join themselves to the Lord, to serve Him,
And to love the name of the Lord, to be His servants—
Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,
And holds fast My covenant

I believe when Christ said everyone- He meant just that. We will all have to answer to Him one day soon on why we were exempt from not having faith by not living by the Words that proceeded out of His mouth. I do not judge anyone for keeping or not keeping the Sabbath, but according to Jesus, there will be some consequences for breaking and teaching others to break the least of these commandments as one would be in fear of sin and Judgement, thus saith the Lord Mat 5:19-30. because breaking one of God's commandments is like breaking them all James 2:10-12 James said only quoting and contrasting the Ten Commandments which we see play out just as promised Mat 7:23 Rev 22:14-15. How long did Noah preach before people realized they made a deadly mistake- Christ compares His Second Coming to the days of Noah.

Most miss out on the blessing Christ is trying to give us by keeping His Sabbath- there are so many. This argument is not with me on the Sabbath- one day I will need to count how many verses on the Sabbath have a thus saith the Lord and not one tells us not to keep. People use Paul words to countermands God's Words, which is why there is this warning in scripture 2 Peter 3:16. Paul was a faithful servant and a servant is never greater than their master which is why Paul also kept every Sabbath decades after the Cross, just as Jesus said His faithful would Mat 24:20 because he also wanted to serve Christ, just like we all should.

Please take a moment to read Isa 56 to see who one is really arguing with. Its written as clear as can be along with so many other scriptures, but we have free will.
You are not addressing your judgementalism.

You make sabbath the centerpiece rather than Christ. You also ignore all the baggage that comes with that.

If you feel Jesus’ command to keep sabbath is given to you and you figure out how you think it should be kept; go for it. It is between you and Christ as is all people’s Christian walk is.

If you feel Christ has reversed his admonition against judging and is commanding you to do that. Be careful.

• Winner
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟538,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No judgement here, just sharing the scriptures and pointing out what God's Word says. Please point out once where I judged anyone- I try to be really careful to stick with the scriptures and sharing scriptures on how God Judges or what He asks, it not me judging. What people do with the scriptures is up to them, all we can do is share and pray. If one feels convicted by them, that not my doing. One day we will all have to stand before Jesus, one day soon on Judgement Day 2 Cor 5:10 - He tells us what He judges us by James 2:10-12 Mat 5:19-30 Ecc 12:13-14 Rev 22:14-15 but like anything, its up to us to have faith in what He tells us or not.

What if God really meant what He said, that we are to Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy, and almost the whole world teaches us we can forget and profane His Sabbath commandment- seems like that would be an important commandment to remind everyone- Jesus commissions us to teach each other the commandments and reminds us not to break or teach others to break the least of these commandments Mat 5:19 - the one commandment God uses the words holy and blessed and said to Remember- seems important. God never said the Ten Commandments was multiple choice or were they ever called the Ten suggestions. But God gives us have free will to test any theory we want, despite it not working out so well for so many people in scripture who thought the same thing. Eze 20:13 Eze 20:21 Eze 22:26 no wonder why we are told not to follow their same path of disobedience Heb 4:11

Last edited:
Upvote 0