• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

House of Representatives pass bill requiring voters to prove citizenship in Federal elections

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟118,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I believe that this law is necessary to try to prevent non-citizens to vote in Federal elections. I predict that Chuck Schumer and the Democratic majority in the US Senate will not even allow this bill to come up for a vote.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟884,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I believe that this law is necessary to try to prevent non-citizens to vote in Federal elections.
It is already illegal for non-citizens to vote. What makes it 'necessary'?

The Heritage 'Project 2025' Foundation found 1,513 cases of voter fraud [of various types] nationwide over the past several decades.

Even if it all happened in 2020 Georgia or Arizona or wherever you care to name, it made no difference. Instead it was spread over the nation over decades.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,059,068.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

I believe that this law is necessary to try to prevent non-citizens to vote in Federal elections. I predict that Chuck Schumer and the Democratic majority in the US Senate will not even allow this bill to come up for a vote.
Other than a passport, how would your average American prove they were a citizen?

OB

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟118,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The Heritage 'Project 2025' Foundation found 1,513 cases of voter fraud [of various types] nationwide over the past several decades.

Even if it all happened in 2020 Georgia or Arizona or wherever you care to name, it made no difference. Instead it was spread over the nation over decades.
Perhaps you can inform me why the vast majority of Democratic Party congressmen voted against this bill?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟884,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Perhaps you can inform me why the vast majority of Democratic Party congressmen voted against this bill?
Because a handful of cases per state per year does not justify putting up barriers to voting that may be difficult for some citizens to surpass. This 'solution' could easily disenfranchise more citizens than it would catch criminals who break the already existing laws.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟351,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Other than a passport, how would your average American prove they were a citizen?

OB
That's the purpose of the True ID program. You show a birth certificate or proof of naturalization when you apply for a drivers license. It's the easiest thing in the world.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟793,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

It's illegal for non citizens to vote yes, and in general it's not been a large problem, I very much agree with you on this point.

However, the situation in America has changed in that the United States has added somewhere between 7 - 12 Million illegals just in the last few years, many of whom we really have no earthly idea why they are here - whether for nefarious or peaceful intent.

Adding a small extra step, which in many states, especially those with Real ID™ isn't even extra, to ensure that those newly registering to vote are legally allowed to be voting in US elections is a fairly tame ask really.

If there's a financial obstacle for some people to obtain things like birth certificates it's not a big deal to add a little funding for assistance to the bill, something like that is a matter of debating the details of the bill though.

It's better to seek to resolve issues and be proactive in governing than it is to let issues fester. Festering issues errodes trust...

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟506,613.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's the purpose of the True ID program. You show a birth certificate or proof of naturalization when you apply for a drivers license. It's the easiest thing in the world.
Except when GOP run states shut down DMV offices in areas with certain demographics, of course.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟351,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Except when GOP run states shut down DMV offices in areas with certain demographics, of course.
The DMV office is open right now. There's nothing stopping anyone from getting a drivers license.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟884,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Not necessarily.

State of Tennessee tells U.S. Navy veteran he's not an American citizen and cancels his driver's license

The 77-year-old had been driving for the last 61 years. He's had driver's licenses in New York, New Hampshire, Vermont and then eight years ago, when he moved to Tennessee, he got a license here.

But last month, Tennessee canceled O'Connor's driver's license.

"They told me I shouldn’t have had the license in the first place 'cause I couldn’t prove that I was a citizen," O'Connor explained.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟884,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It's illegal for non citizens to vote yes, and in general it's not been a large problem, I very much agree with you on this point.

However, the situation in America has changed in that the United States has added somewhere between 7 - 12 Million illegals just in the last few years,
That's just not true. The total number has been relatively stable for 20 years.

LINK

1720707920421.png

Pew

1720707955247.png

There were more in 2007 than in 2022.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟118,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can you prove that this is happening?

• Useful
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟351,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not necessarily.

State of Tennessee tells U.S. Navy veteran he's not an American citizen and cancels his driver's license

The 77-year-old had been driving for the last 61 years. He's had driver's licenses in New York, New Hampshire, Vermont and then eight years ago, when he moved to Tennessee, he got a license here.

But last month, Tennessee canceled O'Connor's driver's license.

"They told me I shouldn’t have had the license in the first place 'cause I couldn’t prove that I was a citizen," O'Connor explained.
So you have one guy in some bizarre situation and the rest of us have to have our votes watered down by non citizens voting. Is that what we're getting at?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟884,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟217,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Except when they close down the license branches in areas with certain demographics, or when the elderly no longer drive, or when they require a street address for people who don't have one.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟884,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Can you prove that this is happening?

As it turns out ... [Alabama Governor] Bentley's driver's license closures were racial, after all

Gov. Robert Bentley denied there was any racist intent behind the closure of 31 driver license offices in 2015, but an investigation by the United States Department of Transportation found they adversely impacted majority African-American counties.

Maybe the governor didn't intend to target minority citizens with the closures, but ultimately his intent is beside the point. The effect was the same, and the reaction was as swift as it was predictable. Alabama again became a national embarrassment. The NAACP sued and the United States Department of Transportation investigated.

Last month, the latter of those two legal actions concluded.

Feds: Alabama to expand driver's license office hours after probe​

"Based on its investigation, DOT has concluded that African Americans residing in the Black Belt region of Alabama disproportionately underserved by ALEA's driver licensing services, causing a disparate and adverse impact on the basis of race," the department said.

(Note this was done one year after the state's voter ID law was passed.)

What Effect Will Shuttering Alabama DMV Offices Have on Black Voters?

The state has a strict voter ID law, yet more than 30 offices, many of them across the “Black Belt,” are set to close.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟217,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So you have one guy in some bizarre situation and the rest of us have to have our votes watered down by non citizens voting. Is that what we're getting at?
That one guy represents the millions of legal voters you seem to want to persecute.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟198,895.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

Laws are already on the books.

Republicans in Congress are wasting time and money for political points

Shameful

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟217,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The DMV office is open right now. There's nothing stopping anyone from getting a drivers license.
A drivers license should not be a requirement to vote.

A homeless citizen with no address, no bank account, no license, no ID, no money . . . should be able to vote. It's a constitutional right.

Upvote 0