✟8,713.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2022.08.20 The Sabbath – the fourth of the Ten Commandments.jpg

The seventh day Sabbath is God’s gift to humanity. It was blessed and sanctified by God after He had created the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them. It was written into the Ten Commandments by His finger, was kept, and taught by Jesus Christ, and was observed by the apostolic church. A memorial of both creation and redemption, it should be faithfully celebrated by believers now as a day of rest, worship, and well-doing.

The Sabbath, as outlined in Genesis 2:1-3 and Exodus 20:8-11, falls on the seventh day of the week, which is Saturday. However, it's important to note that according to Genesis 1:5, God declared that a new day begins at sundown, not at midnight. Therefore, the Sabbath begins at sundown on Friday and ends at sundown on Saturday.

Here’s where the Sabbath was first instituted by God:
Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation. (Genesis 2:1-3 ESV)

Here God defines when a day commences and finishes, from evening to morning:
God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day. (Genesis 1:5 ESV)

Here’s the fourth commandment:
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20:8-11 ESV)

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟13,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Isaiah 58:13-14 (KJV): "If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it."

Upvote 0

TheWayOfHoliness

Christian
Apr 26, 2024
Adelaide
✟8,713.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 58:13-14 (KJV): "If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it."
Amen. Lately i've been working to try to keep my thoughts, words and actions on the things of God during the entirety of each Sabbath, in line with this passage. Also eliminating idle talk, as my wife and I so commonly partake in. It is a challenge to say the least! I hope that as the sanctification process continues I will be able to do this, taking delight in the Lord.

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟13,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Amen. Lately i've been working to try to keep my thoughts, words and actions on the things of God during the entirety of each Sabbath, in line with this passage. Also eliminating idle talk, as my wife and I so commonly partake in. It is a challenge to say the least! I hope that as the sanctification process continues I will be able to do this, taking delight in the Lord.
yes you will be able to it takes practice and a change of habits, the change is gradual and not always easy but persistance pays off! The hard part for me is that no one around me follows the commandments...

Blessings

Upvote 0

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟548,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
The Sabbath, as outlined in Genesis 2:1-3 and Exodus 20:8-11, falls on the seventh day of the week, which is Saturday. However, it's important to note that according to Genesis 1:5, God declared that a new day begins at sundown, not at midnight. Therefore, the Sabbath begins at sundown on Friday and ends at sundown on Saturday.
Brother, that is only true for the site of Jerusalem. When God separated the seventh day of creation by making God's rest holy, he set that time for the entire earth. Jerusalem remembers the Sabbath half a day before the seventh local day of the week. Here is a video showing the evidence of the Manna story of the days that are from morning to morning since creation.

United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Brother, that is only true for the site of Jerusalem. When God separated the seventh day of creation by making God's rest holy, he set that time for the entire earth. Jerusalem remembers the Sabbath half a day before the seventh local day of the week. Here is a video showing the evidence of the Manna story of the days that are from morning to morning since creation.

FYI, this is not an SDA teaching, it is unique to this poster.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟548,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Nonsense.
Sister, the video shows that I am not the only one that can see this truth in the Bible.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sister, the video shows that I am not the only one that can see this truth in the Bible.

The Sabbath is from sundown to sundown Leviticus 23:32

Last edited:
Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟548,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Then consider starting your own denomination. Please stop bearing witness against the beliefs of the SDA church.
Sister, our prophetess Ellen G. White prepared the church for this truth. According to our prophetess, the church is obedient to the light they have received and are not guilty of disobedience until they receive new light and that light is "set aside or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes, there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject." For example, those that follow Judaism are still obedient to the light they have received because many did not believe in the resurrection for Jesus to be able to fulfill in the future all that the prophets said of the Messiah that Jesus did not fulfill before His death. They are waiting for a Messiah other than Jesus to come in the future, because for them Jesus is disqualified for having died before completing all that the prophets said of Him. Mainly, Jesus did not fulfill to be the rock that strikes the statue of Nebuchadnezzar and destroys all earlier empires, like their expectation that the Messiah would have destroyed the Roman Empire that entered the church's leadership and that Jesus will destroy this enemy of God's people upon His return. This means God has not abandoned those that follow Judaism, because to Him they are still faithful to the light they have received.

I saw that it is even so: “From even unto even, shall ye celebrate your Sabbath.” Said the angel: “Take the word of God, read it, understand, and ye cannot err. Read carefully, and ye shall there find what even is, and when it is.” I asked the angel if the frown of God had been upon His people for commencing the Sabbath as they had. I was directed back to the first rise of the Sabbath, and followed the people of God up to this time, but did not see that the Lord was displeased, or frowned upon them. I inquired why it had been thus, that at this late day we must change the time of commencing the Sabbath. Said the angel: “Ye shall understand, but not yet, not yet.” Said the angel: “If light come, and that light is set aside or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes, there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject.” I saw that it was in the minds of some that the Lord had shown that the Sabbath commenced at six o'clock, when I had only seen that it commenced at “even,” and it was inferred that even was at six. I saw that the servants of God must draw together, press together. (Testimonies for the Church, vol. 1, Page 116)​

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟668,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 346797

The seventh day Sabbath is God’s gift to humanity. It was blessed and sanctified by God after He had created the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them.
God blessed the day after His creation There is absolutely no indication that anyone until after the Israelites fled Egypt observed the Seventh-day. To make the declaration that the weekly Sabbath started the day God rested is a theory that cannot be proven. It was given to Israel and Israel only for a remembrance of creation and their flight out of Egypt.
It was written into the Ten Commandments by His finger,
Paul wrote in 2Cor3:6-11 that the ten commandments given (only to Israel) WERE the ministry of death and WERE temporary until the comforter (Holy Spirit) replaced the ten.
was kept, and taught by Jesus Christ,
Jesus was born under the old covenant. The Sabbath command was a command under that covenant. That covenant remained in force until Jesus ratified the new and better covenant with His blood at Calvary.
and was observed by the apostolic church.
Scripture does not tell us that Paul and the disciples observed the Sabbath. They went into the Synagogues on the Sabbath to preach the Gospel.
A memorial of both creation and redemption, it should be faithfully celebrated by believers now as a day of rest, worship, and well-doing.
Again, it was a memorial of creation and Israel's flight out of Egypt, period. I certainly have no idea where you came up with it being a memorial of redemption, please explain. As far as I know Jesus is the only way to be redeemed. Keeping a day cannot save anyone.
Began, it is no longer a requirement for Jews and never was for Gentiles.
Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation. (Genesis 2:1-3 ESV)
Exactly, He blessed that day. If God intended it to be kept by the antediluvians and those after the flood it is not mentioned in scripture nor is there any evidence in history.
God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day. (Genesis 1:5 ESV)

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20:8-11 ESV)
God only gave the Sabbath requirement to one nation. When did God then require all nations to observe it? Why is it that most of thee World's population have never heard of it?

• Winner
Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
View attachment 346797

The seventh day Sabbath is God’s gift to humanity. It was blessed and sanctified by God after He had created the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them. It was written into the Ten Commandments by His finger, was kept, and taught by Jesus Christ, and was observed by the apostolic church. A memorial of both creation and redemption, it should be faithfully celebrated by believers now as a day of rest, worship, and well-doing.

What is greater? The Sabbath, or our God that is LORD of the Sabbath?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is the Creator of everything but that doesn’t mean because He is the Creator that we as His creation and servant, do not have to obey what He asks of us. We can, but its not how we show faith or love to Him. John 14:15 1 John 5:3 Rev 14:12

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟282,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus is God's own full-time NT Sabbath rest from our own works to save, and in Jesus' work which saves to the uttermost.

• Love
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus is the Creator of everything but that doesn’t mean because He is the Creator that we as His creation and servant, do not have to obey what He asks of us.
Blessings in Jesus Christ, Yeshua the Messiah, God of the Universe and Beyond, to you, Passionate about Jesus, Sabbath Blessings.

So, to understand you correctly, Jesus is more important than the Sabbath?

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus is God's own full-time NT Sabbath rest from our own works to save, and in Jesus' work which saves to the uttermost.
Show off! Someone has read Hebrews 4 with correct exegesis that runs a person from Genesis to Revelation!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Blessings in Jesus Christ, Yeshua the Messiah, God of the Universe and Beyond, to you, Passionate about Jesus, Sabbath Blessings.

So, to understand you correctly, Jesus is more important than the Sabbath?
There’s no scripture that says because Jesus created the Sabbath that it’s more important than keeping what He asks us to keep holy. No different than worshipping other gods, or profaning His holy name. He created all of His holy law, because He knows what’s best for us and that is joining ourselves with Christ. Isa 56:1-6 Separation leads to desolation and death.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟282,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Show off! Someone has read Hebrews 4 with correct exegesis that runs a person from Genesis to Revelation!
And you would know that only because you have done the same!

• Winner
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus in His own Words said He is Lord of the Sabbath, i.e. the Creator Mat 2:28 not that He became the Sabbath day commandment i.e. creation, He said was made for mankind Mark 2:27 Isa 56:1-6, not made for Him. To bless us when we keep Isa 56:1-6 and sanctify us Eze 20:12 because man can’t sanctify themselves, we need God.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus in His own Words said He is Lord of the Sabbath, i.e. the Creator Mat 2:28 not that He became the Sabbath day commandment i.e. creation.
Do you enjoy exegesis, SabbathBlessings? (critical explanation or interpretation of a text, especially of scripture.) It is to go from verse to verse in a passage of scripture, and only use scripture to interpret scripture. The main idea behind Exegesis is to recognize that Scriptural flow and context may require up to the entire book to be read, or at a bare minimum, an entire chapter.

Upvote 0