Boonsboro
✟42,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I was not sure how to title this post since it is not anti-sabbath per se, which is why the quote marks are there.

When one claims to "keep the Sabbath," they make a truth-claim about themselves. There are as many ways to "keep the Sabbath" as there are Sabbatarians, especially when it comes to the more liberal Sabbatarians, so which way is the correct way, or is this subject to the modern definition of "truth?" They claim to be the ones who know how it should be kept, or else how could they claim to be keeping it?

In general, Sabbatarians all agree that the Sabbath is an important command to keep, but that is where it ends. If one tells me it is very important to keep the Sabbath, should they not explain how it is to be kept, especially in our modern day? But doesn't this all lead to a works-orientation?

I think that sometimes Sabbatarians develop a blindness to the forest because of the Sabbath trees. The issue is not the sabbath but obedience to our Father and Christ. Human nature is prone to idol worship, and once it assumes it has found a way to climb to heaven, it can easily slip into idol worship unless our desire to obey is divinely planted in us and our love for our Father and Our big Brother, Christ, is burning in us and motivating us, commandment-keeping, in general, is an empty pointless exercise in a vain attempt to scale the wall of the sheepfold.
In short, The danger or dangers of sabbath keeping can be
  1. Self-centered works
  2. Judgement of brother and sister Christians
  3. Pride
  4. Legalism
Of course, the true Sabbath is found in Christ, but a godly observance of God's law in humility and gratefulness for his salvation can allow us to experience a taste of the rest to come. God does not point the bony finger of indignation at His sheep, nor should I.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I was not sure how to title this post since it is not anti-sabbath per se, which is why the quote marks are there.

When one claims to "keep the Sabbath," they make a truth-claim about themselves. There are as many ways to "keep the Sabbath" as there are Sabbatarians, especially when it comes to the more liberal Sabbatarians, so which way is the correct way, or is this subject to the modern definition of "truth?" They claim to be the ones who know how it should be kept, or else how could they claim to be keeping it?

In general, Sabbatarians all agree that the Sabbath is an important command to keep, but that is where it ends. If one tells me it is very important to keep the Sabbath, should they not explain how it is to be kept, especially in our modern day? But doesn't this all lead to a works-orientation?

I think that sometimes Sabbatarians develop a blindness to the forest because of the Sabbath trees. The issue is not the sabbath but obedience to our Father and Christ. Human nature is prone to idol worship, and once it assumes it has found a way to climb to heaven, it can easily slip into idol worship unless our desire to obey is divinely planted in us and our love for our Father and Our big Brother, Christ, is burning in us and motivating us, commandment-keeping, in general, is an empty pointless exercise in a vain attempt to scale the wall of the sheepfold.
  1. Self-centered works
  3. Pride
  4. Legalism
Of course, the true Sabbath is found in Christ, but a godly observance of God's law in humility and gratefulness for his salvation can allow us to experience a taste of the rest to come. God does not point the bony finger of indignation at His sheep, nor should I.
This could be applied to any of the commandments, for example the first commandment to only worship God. Is that a works based salvation to only worship God? Why pluck out the 4th commandment out of God's personally written holy commandments we are to live by. God says we can keep the Sabbath day holy and tell us how to do so though scripture. Man says we can't. I think that's another spirit talking just like in the garden of Eden who told Eve the opposite of what God said and she believed him over God the Creator of everything, which is what the Sabbath commandment points to God our Creator. Exo 20:11 God said- Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy Exo 20:8, so He can bless and sanctify us Isa 56:1-6 Isa 58:13-14 Eze 20:12. Man says forget the Sabbath, we can sanctify ourselves. We too have to make the same choices, just like Eve who are we going to listen to. While we are not saved by keeping God's law, we are saved by grace through faith- how does one express faith to God if we don't believe His Word Jesus told us to live by. Mat 4:4

What is prideful is thinking we know better than God. That He would give us a commandment that we will be judged by, James 2:10-12 Rev 22:14-15 that no knows how to keep, yet there is a remnant who find ways to do so though God's Word Rev 12:17 and the power of the Holy Spirit. John 14:15-18

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

1. Self-centered works
  3. Pride
  4. Legalism
So because there are hypocrites in all parts of Christianity there can be no real Christians? The Sabbath rest is a current condition.

Hebrews 4: 4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

This demonstrates, along with several OT verses, that true Sabbath keeping eliminates legalism.

Exodus 31: 13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.

Ezekiel 20: 12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them.
13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Isaiah 1: 11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the Lord: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.
12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?
13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.

Here is proof the Israelites/Jews never really kept the Sabbath for they never allowed God to sanctify them. Here is more evidence they did not allow God to sanctify them.

Isaiah 58: 1 CRY aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.
2 Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.
3 ¶ Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.
4 Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.
5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord?
6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
8 ¶ Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward.
9 Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
10 And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:
11 And the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.
12 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.
13 ¶ If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟153,077.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

1. Self-centered works
  3. Pride
  4. Legalism
Its my experience, too. After many conversations with them I can say they do not know how to keep it or even what from the Mosaic Law is supposed to be still valid and what is not.

Its all based upon their personal feelings, which differ from person to person, from denomination to denomination.

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟42,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So because there are hypocrites in all parts of Christianity there can be no real Christians? The Sabbath rest is a current condition.

Hebrews 4: 4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

This demonstrates, along with several OT verses, that true Sabbath keeping eliminates legalism.

Exodus 31: 13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.

Ezekiel 20: 12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them.
13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Isaiah 1: 11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the Lord: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.
12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?
13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.

Here is proof the Israelites/Jews never really kept the Sabbath for they never allowed God to sanctify them. Here is more evidence they did not allow God to sanctify them.

Isaiah 58: 1 CRY aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.
2 Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.
3 ¶ Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours.
4 Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high.
5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord?
6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
8 ¶ Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward.
9 Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
10 And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:
11 And the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.
12 And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.
13 ¶ If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.
If we judge that the Israelites never really kept the Sabbath, are we not tacitly claiming that we do and we know how it is to be kept properly? Obeying God the best we can out of love is a good thing, but is the sabbath one of the weightier matters of the law? Is the Ten Commandments God's law in toto?

• Useful
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟42,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This could be applied to any of the commandments, for example the first commandment to only worship God. Is that a works based salvation to only worship God? Why pluck out the 4th commandment out of God's personally written holy commandments we are to live by.
That is a good question. I have wondered that myself. I mean, no offense, but why is your screen name not Commandment-keeping blessings? Perhaps there is an answer in that.
God says we can keep the Sabbath day holy and tell us how to do so though scripture.
God told the children of Israel how to keep the Sabbath, but if you use the internet on the Sabbath, are you not buying? Do you use electricity on Sabbath? Again, you are buying. Just how to keep the Sabbath can quickly lead to a works posture, and yet how are we to define "Keep" in the command? Is it a free-for-all modern-day truth where each individual must keep it the way they feel is true?

Again, a sabbath day humbly kept the best we can to the Lord will be a blessing to us, but that doesn't mean there aren't dangers in hyperfocusing on 1/10th of the commands.
Man says we can't. I think that's another spirit talking just like in the garden of Eden who told Eve the opposite of what God said and she believed him over God the Creator of everything, which is what the Sabbath commandment points to God our Creator. Exo 20:11 God said- Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy Exo 20:8, so He can bless and sanctify us Isa 56:1-6 Isa 58:13-14 Eze 20:12. Man says forget the Sabbath, we can sanctify ourselves. We too have to make the same choices, just like Eve who are we going to listen to. While we are not saved by keeping God's law, we are saved by grace through faith- how does one express faith to God if we don't believe His Word Jesus told us to live by. Mat 4:4
Certainly, there are Christians who would fall into this category, but we shouldn't assume that all Christians who do not keep the Sabbath the way we feel they should are in this category. I would also advise that those who look to God and decide to disobey what He has asked them to obey have much greater issues with God than the Sabbath.
What is prideful is thinking we know better than God. That He would give us a commandment that we will be judged by, James 2:10-12 Rev 22:14-15 that no knows how to keep, yet there a remnant who find ways to do so though God's Word Rev 12:17 and the power of the Holy Spirit. John 14:15-18
If one believes that Exodus 20:8-11 is God's direct command for them today, then why would one make excuses for disregarding God's direct command in Exodus 35:2?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If we judge that the Israelites never really kept the Sabbath, are we not tacitly claiming that we do and we know how it is to be kept properly? Obeying God the best we can out of love is a good thing, but is the sabbath one of the weightier matters of the law? Is the Ten Commandments God's law in toto?
Scripture tells us they didn't. God placed the 4th commandment right at the center of His law.

Are 10 commandments God's law? Yes. Jesus wrote them on stone and instructed Moses to put them in the ark under the mercy seat. That demonstrates God's attitude towards them. No other part of the instructions given through Moses were placed there.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That is a good question. I have wondered that myself. I mean, no offense, but why is your screen name not Commandment-keeping blessings? Perhaps there is an answer in that.
Thanks for asking, this is why….

Exodus 20:10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord
Genesis 2:3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
Jesus said: The Sabbath was made for man.
Isa 56:1 Thus says the Lord:

“Keep justice, and do righteousness,
For My salvation is about to come,
And My righteousness to be revealed.

2 Blessed is the man who does this,
And the son of man who lays hold on it;
Who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,
And keeps his hand from doing any evil

6,“Also the sons of the foreigner
Who join themselves to the Lord, to serve Him,
And to love the name of the Lord, to be His servants
Everyone
who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,
And holds fast My covenant

Jesus said He blesses us when we keep the Sabbath for those who want to join themselves to the Lord, who love the name of the Lord (love Him) and serve Him.

When we keep the Sabbath God says we are one of His people Eze 20:20 and is a sign of His sanctification Eze 20:12 because we can’t sanctify ourselves, we need God. That’s what I want to be one of God’s people to love and serve Him.
God said Remember the Sabbath day, so must be important for us not to forget, yet most have.

God told the children of Israel how to keep the Sabbath
If you look at the Sabbath commandment you should see it’s clearly an invitation for everyone. It’s what the “stranger within your gate’ means Exo 20:10 Jesus made it as clear as day the Sabbath was made for man Mark 2:28 and for everyone who wants to join themselves to Him to love and serve Him. Isa 56:1-6. I guess we can all decide if we want to be a servant of Christ.
Again, a sabbath day humbly kept the best we can to the Lord will be a blessing to us, but that doesn't mean there aren't dangers in hyperfocusing on 1/10th of the commands.
They are all equal, breaking one is like breaking them all James 2:10-12 the Sabbath requires our time which I suspect is why most reject it for some odd reason. It’s God’s holy time- He blessed, sanctified and made holy the seventh day Sabbath as it is God’s holy day Isa 58:13 and He commanded us to also keep holy Exo 20:8 as we are made in His image to follow and serve Him. It’s the day to forget all secular work and to spend our time and thoughts on God to honor Him Isa 58:13
Certainly, there are Christians who would fall into this category, but we shouldn't assume that all Christians who do not keep the Sabbath the way we feel they should are in this category. I would also advise that those who look to God and decide to disobey what He has asked them to obey have much greater issues with God than the Sabbath.
That’s between them and God. Jesus told us not to break the least of these commandments as it affects our status in heaven Mat 5:19-30 and when we keep our own traditions in lieu of God’s commandments are hearts are far from Him Mat 15:3-14, the opposite of the. New Covenant- God’s law written in our heart Heb 8:10 so if one thinks they are excempt from one of God’s finger written commandments that is under His mercy seat- well we have free will to find out if Jesus means what He says. He told us to live by His every Word, so it seems like a good idea to do so.
If one believes that Exodus 20:8-11 is God's direct command for them today, then why would one make excuses for disregarding God's direct command in Exodus 35:2?
We are in the New Covenant. Judgement is the last day, when Jesus returns all decisions will be made Rev 22:11.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟31,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
for me anyway, the Lord Jesus Christ settled the matter plain and clear; and either we hear Him, or we hear Him not:
He was asked in (Matthew 12:10) "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath days"? He answered in the midst of (Matthew 12:12) saying, "It is lawful to do well on the Sabbath days".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟282,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

1. Self-centered works
  3. Pride
  4. Legalism
The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. It was made for man's rest.
As the sacrifices were holy (i.e., "set apart," Lev 6:17), so the Sabbath was holy.
Both were holy because they were figures of our salvation and our salvation rest, respectively, in Jesus Christ--the whole purpose of Christ's death.

And as the holy sacrifices are fulfilled in Christ's sacrifice, so the holy Sabbath is fulfilled in our salvation rest in Christ's holy sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟42,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are all equal, breaking one is like breaking them all James 2:10-12 the Sabbath requires our time which I suspect is why most reject it for some odd reason. It’s God’s holy time- He blessed, sanctified and made holy the seventh day Sabbath as it is God’s holy day Isa 58:13 and He commanded us to also keep holy Exo 20:8 as we are made in His image to follow and serve Him. It’s the day to forget all secular work and to spend our time and thoughts on God to honor Him Isa 58:13
Since they are all equal why is there not equal focus on all of them by most sabatarians. Even you focus most of your time on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Since they are all equal why is there not equal focus on all of them by most sabatarians. Even you focus most of your time on the Sabbath.
Do you see people arguing against only worshipping God, not using His name in a holy manner, not murdering or coveting. The only commandment that is in contention is God's holy Sabbath day. Its the only commandment that reveals our Creator Exo 20:11 and the one commandment God said to Remember, and uses the words "holy" and "blessed" It's been attacked for centuries, even predicted in scripture God's enemy would change it. Dan 7:25. The Sabbath deals with our relationship with God- spending time on the day He designated, not the one designated by man, God said to do work and labors Exo 20:9. According to scripture breaking one is like breaking them all James 2:10-12 Mat 5:19, so while breaking the Sabbath is no different than coveting or committing adultery, its the one that most Christians admittedly reject for some strange reason. God wants to bless everyone Isa 56:6 so a little reminder on what God wants us to Remember that brings blessings and sanctification, shouldn't be a bad thing. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟42,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you see people arguing against only worshipping God, not using His name in a holy manner, not murdering or coveting. The only commandment that is in contention is God's holy Sabbath day. Its the only commandment that reveals our Creator Exo 20:11 and the one commandment God said to Remember, and uses the words "holy" and "blessed" It's been attacked for centuries, even predicted in scripture God's enemy would change it. Dan 7:25. The Sabbath deals with our relationship with God- spending time on the day He designated, not the one designated by man, God said to do work and labors Exo 20:9. According to scripture breaking one is like breaking them all James 2:10-12 Mat 5:19, so while breaking the Sabbath is no different than coveting or committing adultery, its the one that most Christians admittedly reject for some strange reason. God wants to bless everyone Isa 56:6 so a little reminder on what God wants us to Remember that brings blessings and sanctification, shouldn't be a bad thing. :)
I can understand your general argument. But do you believe those who choose not to comply will be lost?

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟42,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where you get that from?
Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Exodus 33:14​

And he said, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

• Friendly
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟42,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture tells us they didn't. God placed the 4th commandment right at the center of His law.

Are 10 commandments God's law? Yes. Jesus wrote them on stone and instructed Moses to put them in the ark under the mercy seat. That demonstrates God's attitude towards them. No other part of the instructions given through Moses were placed there.
So are you saying that the Ten Commandments are the total sum of God's law? Secondly, how perfectly must they be kept?

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I can understand your general argument. But do you believe those who choose not to comply will be lost?
I don’t think the Sabbath is any different than breaking any other commandments. James 2:10-12 We can change our path and ask Jesus for forgiveness 1 John 1:9 and ask Him to help us keep His commandments John 14:15-18 but those who rebel against God’s law we are told are the lost Rom 8:7-8 Mat 7:21-23 Heb 10:26-30 Rev 22:14-15 1 John 2:4. If we love Jesus why wouldn’t we want to do everything He ask or live out the life He lived for our example to follow 1 John 2:6 1 Peter 2:21-23 Heb 4:15. If we stumble along the way, we can go directly to Jesus but when He heals, He said go and sin no more, so a righteous man will always get back up. Through Jesus we can keep His commandments Rev 14:12 and live holy and righteous lives. Phil 4:13 Isa 56:1-6 which reconciles us Isa 56:7 Rev 22:14

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟383,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Exodus 33:14​

And he said, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”
That doesn't say the true Sabbath is found in Jesus. In fact The Sabbath is not connected to those verses context at all.

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟42,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't say the true Sabbath is found in Jesus. In fact The Sabbath is not connected to those verses context at all.
I have found that all of scripture is about Jesus. Hebrews 4 expands the concept of the sabbath. The sabbath was instituted as a day of rest because God ceased all of His work. We are called to to cease all of our working for salvation by being in Christ by faith.

We have been perfected forever by Christ’s one sacrifice so we can now rest in Him.

Upvote 0

Mercy Shown

Jan 18, 2019
Boonsboro
✟42,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think the Sabbath is any different than breaking any other commandments. James 2:10-12 We can change our path and ask Jesus for forgiveness 1 John 1:9 and ask Him to help us keep His commandments John 14:15-18 but those who rebel against God’s law we are told are the lost Rom 8:7-8 Mat 7:21-23 Heb 10:26-30 Rev 22:14-15 1 John 2:4. If we love Jesus why wouldn’t we want to do everything He ask or live out the life He lived for our example to follow 1 John 2:6 1 Peter 2:21-23 Heb 4:15. If we stumble along the way, we can go directly to Jesus but when He heals, He said go and sin no more, so a righteous man will always get back up. Through Jesus we can keep His commandments Rev 14:12 and live holy and righteous lives. Phil 4:13 Isa 56:1-6 which reconciles us Isa 56:7 Rev 22:14
How well is one to “keep” the sabbath? If we are reconciled to God by our good works then why did Jesus have to die?

Upvote 0