New Bern
✟45,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well I didn't write Genesis, I can't help whats written, I am just the reader.
I've been following along a little bit of this back and forth argument but not all of it. I don't care to debate the shape of the earth, but I'm more interested to learn about your theology on the matter. For example, how egregious of an error is it to say the earth is round? I mean would you agree there are degrees of sinfulness? If I simply state it as fact, the earth is round not flat is it as bad as being a false witness in the court of law? And yes, all sins need forgiveness from God, but what do you find most troubling when people engage with you on this controversial matter? Is it when someone insists that the Bible does not teach a flat earth model that sirens go off for you or is it more about the tone of the argument by trying to make you feel little? I would agree that we need to be careful not to mock those who hold to a minority view about something that I believe does not affect our salvation.

Upvote 0

Apple Sky

In Sight Like Unto An Emerald
Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟37,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what do you find most troubling when people engage with you on this controversial matter?

When folks here say that I am interpreting God's word to fit in with my own views about the shape of the earth & the fact that they call me a liar when I state that the firmament is a hard covering for the earths protection & the fact that God placed in firmament two great lights & all the stars which rotate the earth on a daily basis.
The sooner people realize this the better, as this puts every thing else in perspective;

1. It renders space as we know it out of the equation plus NASA.
2. The fact that the earth & the moon do not orbit the sun.
3. The fact that the sun the moon & the stars move across the sky.
4. Astronauts have never been to the moon.
5. And most of all this shows us that God's words are true.

Think of the universe (uni-verse) as one song.

King James Bible
And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth. Rev:14:3

Upvote 0

Apple Sky

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟37,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Sevenfold Doctrine of Creation​

The intricate design and delicate balance of creation is so complex that humans will never fully comprehend it—only the Creator himself can do so.

The Bible also teaches that creation was a cooperative work of the Trinity. In addition to naming God [the Father] as Creator, the Old Testament shows that “the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters” (Genesis 1:2; Psalm 33:6–7). The New Testament further reveals that Jesus [the Son], who is the one Mediator between God and fallen humanity (1 Timothy 2:5), was the active Agent in creation, “For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth” (Colossians 1:16). This truth is also echoed in John’s Gospel, “Through him [Jesus, the Word] all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made” (John 1:3).

King James Bible
And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,060,870.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When folks here say that I am interpreting God's word to fit in with my own views about the shape of the earth & the fact that they call me a liar when I state that the firmament is a hard covering for the earths protection & the fact that God placed in firmament two great lights & all the stars which rotate the earth on a daily basis.
The sooner people realize this the better, as this puts every thing else in perspective;

1. It renders space as we know it out of the equation plus NASA.
2. The fact that the earth & the moon do not orbit the sun.
3. The fact that the sun the moon & the stars move across the sky.
4. Astronauts have never been to the moon.
5. And most of all this shows us that God's words are true.
That's just it - someone can believe that the earth is a sphere and STILL believe that God's words are true.

A person can accept that the photos of the earth are genuine - NASA are not liars trying to trick us, by the use of a fish-eye lens - and be a born again Christian who believes God's words are true.
Someone can be a scientist/astronomer and be a Christian, trusting in God's word.
I could wake up tomorrow saying "I've seen the light; the earth is flat, hallelujah", and still be just as saved, forgiven and loved by God as I am now. It would make no difference, theologically and spiritually, to me at all.

A bit of the above post that you have chosen not to quote says that this is something that does not affect our salvation. That is correct, it doesn't.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil G
Upvote 0

Apple Sky

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟37,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A person can accept that the photos of the earth are genuine
I can't

Someone can be a scientist/astronomer and be a Christian, trusting in God's word.

True
A bit of the above post that you have chosen not to quote says that this is something that does not affect our salvation. That is correct, it doesn't.

Sorry - Belief in F/E or a ball, does not affect anyone's salvation, but is better to be forewarned, just in case of a staged fake alien invasion which they may try to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, but those who hold to an Ancient Near East (ANE) perspective don't have to be liberal scholars. Dr. Michael Heiser was a conservative scholar I believe and besides if you hold to a non concordist view of creation, then it's poetry, not meant to be taken literally. I'm not sure the Bible really speaks scientifically on the shape of entire earth.

Why would God need to speak scientifically, about how and what He God created. Is not God's description's as given in The Bible sufficient enough.

Why do people not demand God speak scientifically about receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life or about God becoming man and taking away the sin of the world. Why is this just demanded of creation?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,060,870.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course not - if you did, it would destroy your argument and your belief. And, in your own mind, there is a fear that a globe earth means people will say the Bible is wrong.
Which is tragic because it's not the case. You believe what you believe. That doesn't mean that you can call NASA and all astronauts/astronomers liars, though.
Sorry - Belief in F/E or a ball, does not affect anyone's salvation, but is better to be forewarned, just in case of a staged fake alien invasion which they may try to do.
You see this makes no sense at all.
First of all, I do not believe in, or see any evidence for the existence of, aliens - far less that they might try to invade our planet.
Secondly, if we were suddenly to be overcome by little green men from Mars, what has the shape of the earth got to do with anything?
Thirdly, no one and nothing in ALL creation can separate us from the love of God, Romans 8:38-39 and nothing can snatch us from his hand, John 10:28-29. Nothing - not aliens, soldiers, people with a nuclear bomb, demons - can separate us from God. Neither can these things change our relationship with God or affect our Christian growth.

Alien invasions are certainly not mentioned in Scripture, so I don't know where you got that idea from.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Phil G

Grafted In
Sep 11, 2012
✟20,909.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eh? Who exactly may try to stage a fake alien invasion? The evidence points to NASA being very much against any likelihood of such a thing even remotely happening:

"But that extraterrestrial presence on regular display is, of course, a fiction. No life beyond Earth has ever been found; there is no evidence that alien life has ever visited our planet. It’s all a story."

I think your imagination is running away with you a bit there.

(No edit) :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phil G

Grafted In
Sep 11, 2012
✟20,909.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely true. My brother is an avid amateur astronomer who believes and trusts in God's word. He is a young earth creationist (YEC) but also emphatically says the earth is a globe, which he bases on clear evidence from his observations of the sky in both Northern and Southern Hemispheres.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

didactics

Church History
May 1, 2022
New Bern
✟45,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Why would God need to speak scientifically, about how and what He God created. Is not God's description's as given in The Bible sufficient enough.

Why do people not demand God speak scientifically about receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life or about God becoming man and taking away the sin of the world. Why is this just demanded of creation?
I just don't think the creation account is making any claim about it being flat or sphere-like. I'm convinced that the description given is not clear enough for us to know either way. I mean if you're pointing out that the firmament must be a solid dome couldn't that work either way? whatever shape it is, on a flat earth or sphere-like.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,190,365.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No one demands it of creation. We accept it for the poetic description that it is.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,060,870.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely true. My brother is an avid amateur astronomer who believes and trusts in God's word. He is a young earth creationist (YEC) but also emphatically says the earth is a globe, which he bases on clear evidence from his observations of the sky in both Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
:oldthumbsup: My husband was a physics teacher; head of department. He is a Christian and lay preacher - and also believes the earth is a globe.

Upvote 0

Apple Sky

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟37,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I mean if you're pointing out that the firmament must be a solid dome couldn't that work either way? whatever shape it is, on a flat earth or sphere-like.
I'd like to see a dome fitted on a ball :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apple Sky

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟37,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You believe what you believe. That doesn't mean that you can call NASA and all astronauts/astronomers liars, though.

Why not ? This is what NASA & the likes are.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,060,870.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why not ? This is what NASA & the likes are.
So how many NASA employees have you spoken to?
How many time have you been to their organisation, asked about their work, see evidence of all their "fish eye lenses" and had admissions from them that they've all been lying for years?

My guess is, none at all.
Like I said, it's easy to make sweeping claims when you have no evidence.

Upvote 0

Apple Sky

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟37,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Secondly, if we were suddenly to be overcome by little green men from Mars, what has the shape of the earth got to do with anything?

Firstly f/e's believe there is a hard dome/firmament over the earth & that there are no planets & they are just stars, but this is not what they tell us, they need their planets and their star trek space to fool the world into believing that aliens do exist & may invade earth.
I know this might sound a bit far fetched but there is a possibility that this may happen.

But don't worry it'll all be fake :):globemeridians::alien:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,060,870.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Firstly f/e's believe there is a hard dome/firmament over the earth & that there are no planets & they are just stars, but this is not what they tell us, they need their planets and their star trek space to fool the world into believing that aliens may invade.
I know this might sound a bit far fetched but there is a possibility that this may happen.
No, there is no possibility that might happen.
There is no proof or aliens, or other life anywhere.
If there was a remote chance of other life somewhere, there is nothing whatever to suggest they they are planning to attack the earth.

It really is astonishing that you take some English words that appear in the Bible and insist they are to be taken literally, while coming up with ideas that the Bible doesn't even hint at - flat earth, alien invasion.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.