Do members get disciplined for abstaining from an "ordinance"?

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The ... immeasurable.
1 . The sacraments certainly have had the effect of nourishment where there has been belief. This was the criteria of their continuing to be useful post 130 AD I'm sure (last three sentences of my post 19).

2 . The mainspring of my concerns is the looming peril of inter-organisational "communion" now that "communion" is at official levels seen as solely an organisational characteristic. I would wish to assert my right to safeguard others' consciences by my example and simultaneously leave each other individually to devise their own adaptations as they discern them. My stance doesn't in any degree resemble "spreading my view", only preparing to negotiate my own membership if either of the specific churches I have in mind should get round to offering me membership.

3 . In the RCC one has technically excommunicated oneself by skipping communion for a year and a day. As I have never intended to volunteer this is of no consequence as any peaceable member of the public is entitled to listen to Scripture and a sermon, join in the Lords Prayer and Nicene Creed, if they wish. At one time over half a congregation would sit out most weeks, but of late there is a fuss in the RCC (similar to some lax protestants) if I sit out. Perhaps the RCC at al should give out lanyards!

4 . I conclude that among presbyterians congregationals and "reformed", they will make up whatever rules they wish. I'd rather not skip a service just because I'm doing something less than "expected".

5 . The church(es) I have my eye on - both of which have been short staffed - might decide it's not permissible to sit out once a member but that I am entitled to all benefits other than voting, and that would solve the entire problem if they do (but I don't know if they would).

6 . My question was about membership, and membership requirements. One of them invites a written signature beneath an incomplete but over complicated "doctrinal statement" which I would be open to discuss if they had the time to do so.

7 . I think Jesus' ordinance was intended with a spiritual meaning about spiritual gifts without organisational veto (last three sentences of my post 19). It's very fashionable on all sides these days to veto spiritual gifts (and I'm not talking about during service times, I'm talking about the rest of living time, which is what doctrines are for). Incidentally it is often remarked that authorities are wrong to promote the attitude of looking down at the practising of "spiritual communions".

8 . Please would responders to this thread concentrate on their own experience of decision taking and specific advice from within the congregational / "reformed" / presbyterian milieus. thank you. I leave it to individuals and / or authorities within EO, Lutherans et al (the same as everybody else) to cope with developments or not, at their discretion. I don't really know what the purpose of a membership scheme / unbalanced doctrinal statements is other than limit voters / volunteers, but I gather fashions are highly volatile as the RCC example is but one. Meantime one of those churches hopes to be up to staffing levels (people with time to answer questions) and certain members are coming back from their holidays; so I might get told.

Last edited:
Upvote 0