Dallas
✟891,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Science seems to conflict with the religious beliefs of some people.
So literacy is not really the issue.
One can be very literate and simply reject the conclusions.
One can also study to determine whether the conclusions are actually conclusive or not.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why did so many people die during Hurricane Katrina. It was not the Hurricane, it as the levies breaking. It was bad Engendering. The Romans build bridges across rivers that exist today and we have bridges built across much smaller bodies of water that collapse. Climate Change...over 90% of scientist believe it to be real but many people say the 90% are all liars. A member of the U.S. senate held a snow ball in his hand as proof of Global Warming being fake. Or its real but were not making it speed up. When a disaster is coming people run, a scientist looks for a solution. Global warming is real, Storms are increasing number and in strength, famine and drought are at a all time high, were speeding up the process, the polar Ice is melting, at the speed its melting all costal cities will be under water in 100 years. What are all the people who say its fake gonna say then...oh wait nothing they will be dead and the mess will be left for our grandkids and there kids to fix. I am not a scientist, I got a C in biology but I can read and listen to the words of many of the most intelligent men and woman today and I supposed to ignore them and listen to senator who holds snowball in his hand.
I've actually read mainstream news articles in which the title of the article made the exact opposite point/claim that the article itself did.

I dumped TV in 1997. It means I'm not getting the "MSM propaganda". People are shocked that I believe the things I believe. It's because I'm getting my news from a lot of diverse places and often, what they think is the "only" story is actually the least likely, when you study the issue from multiple sides. It's why I don't think there is a climate change problem at all, why I never masked up nor got the vaccine, do believe the 2020 election was stolen, believed early in both cases that Zimmerman and Rittenhouse acted in self defense, and a host of other things that most people don't accept. I'm an outlier because I don't expose myself to the same propaganda sources that most people are basically absorbed in.

That's why I just sort of chuckle inside when people say I'm brainwashed. They are projecting and/or gaslighting. And their opinion means nothing to me. It's like a grade school kid trying to insult a college professor. You just shake your head and move on. And the people who actually know me, well, they have a different perspective on the quality of my opinions and posts than a lot of folks on the internet do. Their opinions are the ones that matter the most to me. But even then, the only person that can hurt me in that area is the only person I give that power to - my wife. And she never has.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,882.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Science seems to conflict with the religious beliefs of some people.
So literacy is not really the issue.
One can be very literate and simply reject the conclusions.
They do it all the time. See cognitive dissonance and intelkectual dishonesty.

Then too, for believers, there possible consideration of
how a god would appreciate his works being ignorantly /
dishonestly/ arrogantly denied.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟261,343.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is why I don't say the Bible is alleged to be the word of God.
Of course you don't say that the bible is the alleged word of god. You are the one that make the allegations. And you present them as truth, but can't provide any evidence for it.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Examples please.
I was permanently banned about 3 months ago from a site on which I'd been a member in good standing for almost 20 years. The reason? I posted a link to an article that included links to peer reviewed articles calling out the evidence of damage being done by vaccines for the Covid Virus. They said the information was "harmful". I kid you not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟173,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
No need for false accusations I’ve never stated that the acceptance of biblical creation is a requirement for salvation.
No, but it occurred to me that you personally might require it for your own salvation
And yes I agree scientists have to keep altering their theories every time they discover they were wrong, but the biblical creation account has never changed since it was first revealed 3,500 years ago.
You don't really know that, as the original text is long lost to us.
I don’t know about you but when somebody keeps giving me a different answer to the same question over and over at some point I start to lose faith in their credibility.
Even when they condition their answer as provisional and are willing to change it when they find they were wrong? To me, that seems a testimony to their credibility.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't forget Big Sugar. Probably the leading cause of death in the world.
I went on a diet about 30 years ago that necessitated writing down every single thing I ate and listing the calories. In three months I lost 55 lbs. It had an ever-loosening restriction on my diet. In the first month or so I was not allowed to eat bread, sugar, potatoes, etc.

The one thing that I came away believing is that sugar (and diet in general) kills more people than smoking. I now look at donuts the way I look at cigarettes. Not interested.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,912,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course you don't say that the bible is the alleged word of god. You are the one that make the allegations. And you present them as truth, but can't provide any evidence for it.:rolleyes:

Looks like you're SOL then.

(Short On Luck)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,912,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Genes/ DNA for life. These wrong emotional behaviors come from the heart and mind.

It gets down to the old NATURE VS NURTURE argument, doesn't it?

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟261,343.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you're going to go that route, I would say the onus would be on you to expose them as such.

Let's say I believe the spirit of Elvis Presley inhabits my lawn mower.

Can you expose me as:
  1. Being in error?
  2. Purveying a dirty trick?
  3. Lying?
For the reader who wants to see a creationist purveying a dirty trick, this post:
1713471684513.png

Which one is Haroldcookii?
Why is this a dirty trick?
None of them. As you know very well Nebraskaman was hypothesized based on single tooth. While the picture shows skulls. And as you also know very well (and we know that you know) the error has been corrected. So as we know very well your depreciating remark is just to smear science, by lack of any serious argument. You can complain, as you did in the recent past:
"Now they want to sweep it under the carpet and make it look like anyone who brings it up is grabbing at straws to make science look bad."
AV1611VET knows very well that his remarks are pointless, he just grabs at straws to make science look bad.

• Winner
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I went on a diet about 30 years ago that necessitated writing down every single thing I ate and listing the calories. In three months I lost 55 lbs. It had an ever-loosening restriction on my diet. In the first month or so I was not allowed to eat bread, sugar, potatoes, etc.

The one thing that I came away believing is that sugar (and diet in general) kills more people than smoking. I now look at donuts the way I look at cigarettes. Not interested.
So true and that's awesome. I'm currently reversing the effects of my Type 2 diabetes by limiting high carb foods, especially the added sugars that companies put in them. A1c of 7.9 to 6.2 in three years, I thank covid for getting me to look into health.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't really know that, as the original text is long lost to us.
Lucky for us God commanded the Mitzvah in Deuteronomy which was written by Moses when they did have the original which is the Jewish law that requires every Jew to write their own copy of the Torah which consists of the first 5 books of the Hebrew Bible. Basically all the books written by Moses.

Upvote 0