Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is a joy and a privilege to remember at times to pray and have passion for Christian revival and awakening. I like a definition of revival from dictionary.com: "restoration to life, consciousness, vigor, strength." I have lost the religious genuiness I once had, many of our churches have lost and are losing it (evidenced by shrinking churches), and society (at least America) as a whole has lost it, shown by our crime and lasciviousness (my opinion at least).

So, the question in my mind has been, how do we bring this about? Obviously God has to do it, but he draws close to those that draw close to him, right? There's always a human part when God works with humans, right?

Any relevant Scripture verses would be really great, that's actually what I'm looking for, though thoughts of Popes, saints, theologians, missionaries and martyrs will be appreciated too.

Edit: I know it's irresponsible to start a discussion thread and leave, but I really need a milkshake, so I'll brb

Last edited:

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟39,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe it is important to look back at the history of revivals...
always started somewhere with prayer and repentence....

Great awakenings of 1700s in New York prayer revival,
scotish revivals,
George whitfield, jonathon Edwards

but the main revival I can see started
with the Moravians with a man named Zenzendorf...germany-austria
he started a community of outcasts persecuted Christians....
they started a 100 year 24 hour prayer movement....
from about 1740-1850

during this 24 hour prayer with a small group 100-200 people??
they sent missionaries all over the world

they went into hard to reach places...lepor colonies, slaves in the caribian.....
to reach slaves...they would sale themselves into slavery knowing the outcome....

they would give them funerals when they went off to the mission field knowing they wouldnt return

kinda takes away any excuses we have or hardships we complain about
https://www.christianitytoday.com/history/people/denominationalfounders/nikolaus-von-zinzendorf.html

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟769,081.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm probably going to sound like a bigoted Catholic here, but I used to be Protestant. When I was still Presbyterian, I had an outstanding pastor. Now we'd sometimes have various discussions, and at least one of them was about revival. We were always singing and praying for revival, but we didn't really do much about it. In any case I don't think we'd though through the ramifications if we did have a revival.

He said to me that he thought that if there was going to be a revival (in Australia at least, since we were talking in an Australian context), it would start with the Catholic Church. In his opinion the Protestant Churches were far too divided, and the Orthodox are pretty much a minority Christian group in Australia (2016 census - 2.7% of population, Catholic 22.6, Anglican 13.3, Uniting 3.7 with other Protestant denominations anywhere from 2.3% to 0.2%). The Reformed Churches (eg. Presbyterian which was my original church) for example were 2.3%.

Now historically major revivals (and I'm talking about major revivals) have indicated one of three things - the approaching end of a civilisation (eg. Roman Empire), national renewal (eg. Wesley in England), or preparation for intense suffering (eg. Welsh revival 1912, two years before World War II). It could even include all three. The point is that while we might be seeking revival, we may not like the circumstances that are going to accompany or follow it.

And it usually starts somewhere innocuous. World War I was at its height and the attention of the entire world was on the Western Front, with millions of young men slaughtering each other like lemmings going over a cliff. The announcements of the Big Four and the Kaiser were the really important bumpf of the day.

Meanwhile God sent Mary to three almost illiterate children in a backwoods village in a lesser European power, Portugal, to deliver a warning, making the sun seem to dance, instantly vaporising tons of water to the tune of the energy requirement of a ten megaton bomb, and protecting all 70,000 witnesses from a single case of eye damage from staring at the sun for ten minutes straight.

He works through the innocuous, hiding if from the wise and powerful and giving it to children.

If a revival starts, it will be on the same basis - right where nobody expects it to start.

So taking an Australian context, I suspect it would start in an ordinary suburban Catholic Church, location determined entirely by God. There would need to be the threat of intense trouble on the horizon, so that we're shaken out of our apathy and faith in this world These pending disasters could be of a religious or national nature or both (eg. perscecution of the church, a threat from a foreign power, financial woes), and possibly it would lead to national renewal.

Reading my crystal ball, we're finding the new fascists in some state parliaments in Australia won't even allow doctors the right to their own conscience on whether they can refer a woman for an abortion or not. Religious persecution won't be far behind. In that respect they're on a par with the Nazis.

On the nearby international scene, we live cheek by jowl with the world's largest Moslem nation, and fundamentalism is on the rise. China is making waves in the South East Asian area, which again we border. We have 24 million people to Indonesia's 262 million, China's 1.4 billion (nuclear armed), India's 1.3 billion (nuclear armed), Parkistan's 207 million (nuclear armed), Bangladesh's 159 million, Japan's 126 million, Philippines 103 million, Korea 73 million combined (North Korea nuclear armed).

India and Pakistan have about 110 to 120 nuclear weapons each, and the Korean Peninsula area walks a tightrope of nuclear tinged tension. Ninety percent of our oil supplies come from the Middle East, and that's always a cauldron on the verge of tipping over.

So I'd say if there's going to be a revival in Australia, it will be start in an ordinary suburban Catholic church, where nobody will expect it to happen, and at about the same time, a lot of trouble will hit.

I'd give it about two to three years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

justbyfaith

justified sinner
May 19, 2017
Southern California
✟3,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, revival can only happen in the catholic church! :scratch::tutu::sigh:

But in all seriousness, I believe it was Leonard Ravenhill who wrote in his book on Revival that revival will come when the blood of Jesus is preached.

Another revivalist, Andrew Murray (not to be confused with Arthur Murray of Shepherd's Chapel, who is a false teacher) wrote that revival will occur when people stop looking at 1 John 3:9 as a riddle.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is a joy and a privilege to remember at times to pray and have passion for Christian revival and awakening. I like a definition of revival from dictionary.com: "restoration to life, consciousness, vigor, strength." I have lost the religious genuiness I once had, many of our churches have lost and are losing it (evidenced by shrinking churches), and society (at least America) as a whole has lost it, shown by our crime and lasciviousness (my opinion at least).

So, the question in my mind has been, how do we bring this about? Obviously God has to do it, but he draws close to those that draw close to him, right? There's always a human part when God works with humans, right?

Any relevant Scripture verses would be really great, that's actually what I'm looking for, though thoughts of Popes, saints, theologians, missionaries and martyrs will be appreciated too.

Edit: I know it's irresponsible to start a discussion thread and leave, but I really need a milkshake, so I'll brb
What was your religious genuineness? See 1 Timothy 5:4 and James 1:26-27 for definitions. Is it these that you lost? Perhaps what you lost wasn't as important and you think.

He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: “ ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.’ You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men.” (underlining mine, Mark 7:6-8, 1984 NIV)

What is really in your heart regarding God (that results in action)? Examining that may be more productive than anything else.

If you consider Jesus revealing himself to the Jews a type of "revival," then examine John the Baptist's message.

Perhaps the verses around a verse you refer to (James 4:8) will reveal something practical:

But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. (James 4:6-8, 1984 NIV)

What kinds of things count as "coming near to God?" Does Matthew 25:34-45 describe ways? Worship, prayer, trying to know God through Scripture (not just understanding Scripture), regular fasting, tithing the full amount to please God (and always results in him pouring out blessing)? Helping the needy an hour a week? (You'll receive more than they will by doing so.)

Increase the repentance of the people in your fellowship and have them want more of God by:

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35, 1984 NIV)

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. (John 15:12-14, 1984 NIV)

Do the people in your fellowship really want a revival—more of God himself? More of God means increased accountability to God. Are they prepared for that? Are they being faithful to God in small ways (necessary to being faithful in larger ways).

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” (underline mine, John 14:21, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟836,551.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Revival suggest a “return” to a previous time, but what time are we suggesting returning to and what doctrine are we suggesting returning to?

Do we want to be like the first century?

I am familiar with what is happening in Communist China, North Korea and Iran underground churches and there are others, so do we need to be doing what they are doing and not necessarily return to what Western Churches did in the past?

As long as there is high paying, powerful positions in a denomination there is a reason for corruption. To be like Paul is a death wish.

Upvote 0