Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Never heard of them and their channel has 4.5 million subscribers. Ah well, problem rectified.
Look for their cover of “Halo”; (if the video is in color it’s the “wrong one”).

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟943,562.00
Faith
Atheist
Look for their cover of “Halo”; (if the video is in color it’s the “wrong one”).
Watching now. Amazing.

[aside]
It's interesting. I like to think of myself as enlightened. How a person identifies ought not matter nevertheless I feel the need to categorize a person.

LP is great. And yet there is a certain androgyny that makes me ... ambivalent.

Anyway, that's more about me than about LP.
[/aside]

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟152,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Watching now. Amazing.

[aside]
It's interesting. I like to think of myself as enlightened. How a person identifies ought not matter nevertheless I feel the need to categorize a person.

LP is great. And yet there is a certain androgyny that makes me ... ambivalent.

Anyway, that's more about me than about LP.
[/aside]
Yes, that aspect of their persona is interesting.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟943,562.00
Faith
Atheist
Enjoy discovering them.
Watching "Lost on You". Gotta tell you this is one of the best discoveries for me in a long while -- and I consider my tastes quite eclectic.

In a sense she (and wiki says she finds 'she' easier than otherwise, though the article is a bit of a mess) is just pop, but she kinda does it right.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟56,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
As a Christian, are we to listen to worldly music, especially the music we grew up listening to? I know the Bible isn’t specific on this. I have a hard time with this one now & in the past. I have listened to music but recently I feel like I shouldn’t.
Actually, though it is now hardly ever read or learned,
the Bible is VERY specific on this, and basically forbids it.

For extremely clear discussion/ examples from Scripture on this,
see (maybe for free online pdf)
"Love not the World" by Watchman Nee, includes "The Mind Behind the System" (not a good mind) ...

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟56,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree and this is why I’m cutting out all music now I don’t think there’s anything good coming out of any of it. I just think it would be best for me all around to just get rid of it all. I have also been going through my personal belongings and getting a rid of anything that I feel is tainted by worldly influences,

even things that you have on devices could be deleted. I’ve even gone as far to do this too. A huge purge. I don’t think I need much to be happy and even if I don’t feel too happy at the moment about doing this sometimes it’s just something I’m gonna have to do and I have to live with it because it’s better for me.

It doesn’t really matter what I want or what I think. I don’t even have social media I never have I don’t like it.
Good and rare faith in Jesus Who HImself says -
if someone wants to be MY (Jesus' ) disciple, they must give up everything and come, follow ME (Jesus).

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟56,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
As a Christian, are we to listen to worldly music, especially the music we grew up listening to? I know the Bible isn’t specific on this.
Actually the Bible is very much specific about this , and it is not good -
Watchman Nee, David Wilkerson, and many others have shown clearly from Scripture and in God's Purpose the problem/sin that the worldly entertainment is, and maybe more important, how harmful it is to little children.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟152,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually the Bible is very much specific about this , and it is not good -
Watchman Nee, David Wilkerson, and many others have shown clearly from Scripture and in God's Purpose the problem/sin that the worldly entertainment is, and maybe more important, how harmful it is to little children.
Please for to explain this “harm”, thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lærke

Dec 20, 2021
Midwest
✟16,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not into the Christian artists. I don't like it. I've only liked it in one church that I attended in the past. I don't go there anymore so that's not a problem. I decided no more music of ANY kind-which is hard because music was my life growing up & encouraged in our home & school. I've given up modern books & only read 19th century authors & no more t.v./movies. I even gave up degree/certifications of mine that were based in psychology because they're wrong for me to pursue as well as writing e-books which I've pulled from online stores. I've purged kid toys, books & curriculum that have been tainted by ungodly influences as well. I still have much more to do. I've come to the realization that none of this is important anymore. Jesus is the only thing. What I want is selfish.

Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Lærke

Dec 20, 2021
Midwest
✟16,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've also cut ties with others who are of this world. No good comes from that. If I'm not happy about some of these decisions then too bad! I don't need to be happy. Happiness is a lie. I only need the comfort & peace of knowing that I'm saved & will see Jesus someday. That's what I'm waiting for now. That's the important thing & the goal.

Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nmeckert

Mar 5, 2024
Tamaqua
✟13,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
As a Christian, are we to listen to worldly music, especially the music we grew up listening to? I know the Bible isn’t specific on this. I have a hard time with this one now & in the past. I have listened to music but recently I feel like I shouldn’t. I keep adding my playlist back on Spotify and then I delete them and then I just keep repeating the whole cycle over. I keep going back-and-forth. I obviously don’t listen to anything that is making me feel bad. I feel like I can’t help that I like the music I grew up listening to as well as some modern music out today but I feel like I shouldn’t be liking it? I feel like it’s a trap.

As for Christian music the only time in the past that I find Christian music to be good is when I’m in a Christian church. I’ve been to many so I’ve heard a lot of Christian praise music but to listen to it outside of church I just can’t get into it. I guess that chalks it up to being in the moment.

Suggestions? Thanks!
This reminds me of my situation. For the longest time, even after I became a Christian, I was listening to secular music I grew up with and liked. I listened to a little bit of everything: pop, rap, hard rock, oldies, country, and classic rock. I never paid attention to lyrics, but I would pick my choice of songs because I liked the music and singing. Well shortly after I started attending New Life Assembly of God, the Holy Spirit started to convict me on this and told me I shouldn't be listening to that stuff. I knew I had to get rid of all the stuff with cusses and sexual talk and violence in it, but some of the other stuff like the 80s stuff sounded innocent to me, until I looked up the lyrics. A lot of those songs were talking about sex, but it was hidden, so we wouldn't know that. For example, Slow Ride by Foggit. All it said was "slow ride, take it easy" but when I looked up what the song meant, I realized it was a sexual song, so I got rid of it. I use Youtube Music by the way. The heavy metal/hard rock stuff, had a lot of Satanism talk in it and also had very dark lyrics and that was gone, too. Now, my liked songs playlist is flooded with Christian music and I love it! I was able to find Christian music in all genres, including rap and hard rock/heavy metal and now I can rock out guilt free! I do still search the lyrics of some songs I don't know about and look up what they mean just to make sure only because when I was looking up Christian songs, there were songs that were not Christian that were in a Christian playlist for some reason, so I do have to watch out for that. Another thing that got me into the Christian music was I fell in love with it at church and I thought "I want to add that to my Likes playlist and listen to that". I noticed ever since I switched to Christian music, I just cry tears of joy and laugh for no reason and I don't know if it's because of the songs themselves, the Holy Spirit making contact with me, the fact that God is doing big things in my life, or a mixture of all three.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I started moving away from secular music in 2020. It wasn't an immediate shift. But the weeding process began and little by little I ceased to enjoy certain artists or genres. I noticed my thoughts and temperament before I listened and afterward. I paid attention to the behaviors that followed and began to hold myself to a different standard and determined that I was better served by consuming content -- visual and otherwise -- that mirrored the spirit and person I wanted to become.

The early forays led me to classical music. I was already a fan and found a couple of channels who covered it well and followed them. Then I looked at themes like cottagecore, the Hobbit or Outlander and did the same. And then it happened. A lucky find landed in my feed featuring French cafe music and I was hooked. I explored the recommendations and added them to my journal until I had a library of sorts to draw from.

IMG_9807.jpeg

When I sat down to write it wasn't difficult to set the mood. I had much to draw from that inspired my pen and soothed the spirit. I'm not opposed to vocals and wholesome lyrics are a must. But I don't ignore the message or delivery. It must complement the norm I've established.

Loveliness is intentional and that's what I'm after. I want to be beautiful inside and out. I surround myself with the things that support my quest and won't derail it. Music is one iteration. Social media is another. Books, activities and associations add to the lot.

There's no shortcut to excellence. The outcome is determined by the depth of your commitment and ability to choose something else in its place. I don't regret the things I've relinquished. I don't need them anymore. Nor do I expect others to follow suit. We don't share the same convictions.

If I had select a song that embodied what I seek this would be my choice. To dwell in the company of someone imbued with that essence is unforgettable. That's the sort that caresses a soul. The kind that lifts an environment. The calm in the storm. Why wouldn't I want the same?

~bella

Upvote 0

Nmeckert

Mar 5, 2024
Tamaqua
✟13,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I started moving away from secular music in 2020. It wasn't an immediate shift. But the weeding process began and little by little I ceased to enjoy certain artists or genres. I noticed my thoughts and temperament before I listened and afterward. I paid attention to the behaviors that followed and began to hold myself to a different standard and determined that I was better served by consuming content -- visual and otherwise -- that mirrored the spirit and person I wanted to become.

The early forays led me to classical music. I was already a fan and found a couple of channels who covered it well and followed them. Then I looked at themes like cottagecore, the Hobbit or Outlander and did the same. And then it happened. A lucky find landed in my feed featuring French cafe music and I was hooked. I explored the recommendations and added them to my journal until I had a library of sorts to draw from.

View attachment 343681

When I sat down to write it wasn't difficult to set the mood. I had much to draw from that inspired my pen and soothed the spirit. I'm not opposed to vocals and wholesome lyrics are a must. But I don't ignore the message or delivery. It must complement the norm I've established.

Loveliness is intentional and that's what I'm after. I want to be beautiful inside and out. I surround myself with the things that support my quest and won't derail it. Music is one iteration. Social media is another. Books, activities and associations add to the lot.

There's no shortcut to excellence. The outcome is determined by the depth of your commitment and ability to choose something else in its place. I don't regret the things I've relinquished. I don't need them anymore. Nor do I expect others to follow suit. We don't share the same convictions.

If I had select a song that embodied what I seek this would be my choice. To dwell in the company of someone imbued with that essence is unforgettable. That's the sort that caresses a soul. The kind that lifts an environment. The calm in the storm. Why wouldn't I want the same?

~bella
That's awesome! However, if you are interested, I don't know if you ever go on Youtube or not, but there are tons of Christian bands and artists from the hymns to contemporary to all other genres and I noticed a lot of the singers and bands sound like the secular ones, except the Christian bands have Godly lyrics. I also want to mention that I gave up watching most tv shows. I used to like shows like Dr. Phil, the Steve Wilkos show, Judge Judy, 90-Day Fiance, Worst Cooks in America, Gordon Ramsey's shows, Chopped, Intervention, crime shows like on Investigation Discovery, Cops, Teen Moms, and other court shows. I gave them all up because I noticed whether it's cussing, using God's name in vein, gay marriage, sex outside of marriage, murder, or abortions, there's always some sort of sin being glorified in those shows and God has let me know he no longer wants me to watch any of them. What I do now whenever I'm not cleaning my house, at church, or out doing anything else, is I either keep listening to my Christian music or I listen to the 700 Club and some Christian speakers like Joel Osteen, Billy Graham, Joyce Meyer, and Mark Hankins. I do have to admit, though, that there are times where I will miss listening to the secular music and tv shows I once liked and I do feel a temptation to go back to that stuff, but I try to remember that I'm giving it all up for God and I'm living for God, not for myself anymore.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's awesome! However, if you are interested, I don't know if you ever go on Youtube or not, but there are tons of Christian bands and artists from the hymns to contemporary to all other genres and I noticed a lot of the singers and bands sound like the secular ones, except the Christian bands have Godly lyrics.

Thank you for the suggestion. I found the ones I mentioned on YouTube. As for Christian music, I like older pieces including the sacred era. I've had the opportunity to chant with Benedictine nuns and maintain a special affinity for that form though I don't listen to it often.

When I want to commune with God artistically I prefer Celtic instrumentals instead. They emit a gentle tranquility that I value. For more upbeat tunes I opt for Irish or Scottish reels. They evoke mirth and a lighthearted spirit that can only lead to smiles, laughter and movement.

What I do now whenever I'm not cleaning my house, at church, or out doing anything else, is I either keep listening to my Christian music or I listen to the 700 Club and some Christian speakers like Joel Osteen, Billy Graham, Joyce Meyer, and Mark Hankins. I do have to admit, though, that there are times where I will miss listening to the secular music and tv shows I once liked and I do feel a temptation to go back to that stuff, but I try to remember that I'm giving it all up for God and I'm living for God, not for myself anymore.

Your efforts won't go ignored. You may appreciate Soakstream. You can listen throughout the day. Your environment will reverberate with peace. They also create pieces for sleep which brings its own blessings. You're bathing yourself in the world. It's bound to help.

~bella[/COLOR

Reactions: Nmeckert
Upvote 0

Nmeckert

Mar 5, 2024
Tamaqua
✟13,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the suggestion. I found the ones I mentioned on YouTube. As for Christian music, I like older pieces including the sacred era. I've had the opportunity to chant with Benedictine nuns and maintain a special affinity for that form though I don't listen to it often.

When I want to commune with God artistically I prefer Celtic instrumentals instead. They emit a gentle tranquility that I value. For more upbeat tunes I opt for Irish or Scottish reels. They evoke mirth and a lighthearted spirit that can only lead to smiles, laughter and movement.

Your efforts won't go ignored. You may appreciate Soakstream. You can listen throughout the day. Your environment will reverberate with peace. They also create pieces for sleep which brings its own blessings. You're bathing yourself in the world. It's bound to help.

~bella[/COLOR
You're welcome and thank you as well for your suggestions. God bless!

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0