Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
7 Of My Favorite Women in the Bible

Mary Magdalene
Mary Magdalene was a prominent disciple and follower of Christ, even up to His death on the cross. Even after Christ had died, she still wanted to attend to Him at His grave. She was among a small, close group of women who were Christ’s devoted followers and was the first witness to His resurrection. Women were not even allowed to be witnesses in the Jewish culture and even the Roman’s had little regard for women, but Jesus elevated women’s status to its rightful status as being co-equals and co-heirs with men during His ministry. Mary Magdalene was more faithful during Christ’s time on earth, during His trial, during His crucifixion, and even afterwards than even the disciples were. Mary was a consistent follower of Christ’s (Luke 8:1-3), prepared His body before His death (Luke 23:55-56), did not abandon Him at the crucifixion (Mark 15:40-41), and as we wrote, was one of the witnesses of His resurrection (Mark 16:1-11). In the beginning, Mary appeared more devoted and believing than even Jesus’ disciples who had scattered and had thought, after Christ’s death, that all was lost.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,948.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Phoebe's very important to me.

We know very little about her; that she was a deacon in Cenchreae, that she carried Paul's letter to Rome, and that she had a significant ministry; the word Paul uses which is often translated "benefactor" is one which is elsewhere used in very early church documents to describe someone who leads worship services. She is the clearest and most unambiguous example we can point to in Scripture of a woman in what would later come to be understood as an ordained ministry.

Upvote 0

Na Nach Oi!

Embracing paradoxical thinking
Dec 4, 2016
Earth
✟55,404.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

We know very little about her; that she was a deacon in Cenchreae, that she carried Paul's letter to Rome, and that she had a significant ministry; the word Paul uses which is often translated "benefactor" is one which is elsewhere used in very early church documents to describe someone who leads worship services. She is the clearest and most unambiguous example we can point to in Scripture of a woman in what would later come to be understood as an ordained ministry.

But, in 1 Timothy 3:12, the deacon is portrayed as a man (indicated by the word "the husband").

Interesting.

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

thank you paidiski

I somehow lost track of Phoebe.

To have been honored with carrying Pauls letter speaks volumes of how she was regarded.

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here is some more information on Phoebe I found on Wikipedia, that also includes information on other women leaders in Romes church:

Phoebe (biblical figure) - Wikipedia
Phoebe's exceptional character noted[Rom. 16:2] by her status as a deacon and prostatis—one who should be esteemed highly "because of their work"[1 Thes. 5:12]— may be the reason Paul sent her to Rome where she delivered the letter to Rome. By referring to Phoebe as a prostatis, Paul solicits the attention and respect of the leaders in Rome's church, which also included other women, namely

Prisca/(Priscilla)[Rom. 16:3],
Mary[Rom. 16:6],
Junia[Rom. 16:7], and
Tryphena, Tryphosa, and Persis [16:12] .

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟348,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hanna has always intriqued me. She was accused of being drunk while praying but God answered her prayer in a way that honored her and served His purposes.

Her knowledge of scripture was huge that she poured into her recorded prayer at the first few chapters 1 Samuel. And she was the first to coin the word "anointed"

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Abigail was a true servant of the Lord recognizing that her attitude and behavior toward legitimate authority over her was also to the Lord himself (Matthew 25:31-46, Romans 13:1). And she was rewarded enormously by God—and swiftly, too.

She is an example to all men, women, and children.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟348,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Prisilla was one of my favorite women in the bible. She is in my belief the author of Hebrews. That's quite an accomplishment for a women. I'm sure I have a link for that somewhere if someone would like the scripture for that.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Prisilla ... She is in my belief the author of Hebrews. That's quite an accomplishment for a women.
If so - that is true.

Why do you think it was her?
I personally lean toward Apollos (who was taught by Priscilla).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟348,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If so - that is true.

Why do you think it was her?
I personally lean toward Apollos (who was taught by Priscilla).
Priscilla as the author of Hebrews because it was authored by a teacher that was recognizable to them at the time but for whatever reason preferred to remain anonomous, and it was later picked up and accounted to Paul because of the need to bring it into accepted circulation. The reasons that Paul couldn't have written it are many.

Letter to the Hebrews was written to Rome; not to the church, but to the inner circle (Romans 16:5)
A.Priscilla had an inner circle in Rome, the church that is in their house (Romans 16:5).
B.She was an Apostolic teacher of high standing, and known throughout Christendom of that day (Romans 16).
C.She was the teacher of the intelligent and highly educated Apollos (Acts 18).
D.She and her husband Aquila labored closely and taught together, explaining why both the pronouns 'I' and 'we' were used by the author.
For starters but those are the main reasons.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Priscilla as the author of Hebrews because it was authored by a teacher that was recognizable to them at the time but for whatever reason preferred to remain anonomous, and it was later picked up and accounted to Paul because of the need to bring it into accepted circulation. The reasons that Paul couldn't have written it are many.
I agree with the reasons Paul was not the author.

Probably the main reason I lean toward Apollos is the way Hebrews is written. The author was a gifted and forceful orator. It is so strong that it even comes across in a decent out-loud reading of the text in English. I can only imagine how strong it was in the original language.

Acts 18 describes Apollos as just such an orator:
Mighty in the scriptures.
Eloquent speaker.
Powerfully refuting ...
Proving Jesus was the Christ.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟348,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with the reasons Paul was not the author.

Probably the main reason I lean toward Apollos is the way Hebrews is written. The author was a gifted and forceful orator. It is so strong that it even comes across in a decent out-loud reading of the text in English. I can only imagine how strong it was in the original language.

Acts 18 describes Apollos as just such an orator:
Mighty in the scriptures.
Eloquent speaker.
Powerfully refuting ...
Proving Jesus was the Christ.
I think scripture places him far from the scene at that time. I'm away for the weekend but I'll try to find it.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think scripture places him far from the scene at that time.
??? The book was written somewhere about 65-69 ad; just after paul and peter were killed but before the temple was destroyed.

I am unaware of any scripture that pinpoints anyone during that time period.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟348,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
??? The book was written somewhere about 65-69 ad; just after paul and peter were killed but before the temple was destroyed.

I am unaware of any scripture that pinpoints anyone during that time period.
Perhaps, but I don't think Apollos was a person who was converted by persons who saw and heard Jesus. That would be Priscilla.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟348,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Abigail was a true servant of the Lord recognizing that her attitude and behavior toward legitimate authority over her was also to the Lord himself (Matthew 25:31-46, Romans 13:1). And she was rewarded enormously by God—and swiftly, too.

She is an example to all men, women, and children.
Yeh Abigale was a quick thinker. Unfortunately she was married to an idiot. I mean who shouldn't pay off the hot-headed self-appointed guardians of the hills? Her interference brought fortune to them all. And the favor of David who admired her humility and wisdom for keeping him from seeking revenge and needlessly from shedding blood. Brain had overcome brawn and found a solution.
I think it was her humility that solved the problem and in doing so glorified God.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have always been intrigued by Junia. She is mentioned only once:

Romans 16:7 Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners, who are outstanding among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Some translations list her as "Junias" making the name masculine rather than feminine. But the original is NOT -as.

Ἀνδρόνικον καὶ Ἰουνιᾶν

If both were masculine the endings would be the same.

So we have a woman, a prisoner for spreading the gospel, and considered by Paul to be an apostle.

Upvote 0