Perry Noble says 'we wouldn't even know' Jesus is alive if not for women preachers

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,762,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pastor Perry Noble didn't mince words when he criticized ministry leaders who say women shouldn't preach.

During a question-and-answer session at a May 5 church service, a congregant asked the 52-year-old senior pastor of Second Chance Church in Anderson, South Carolina, about his thoughts on women pastors.

"Throughout the Bible, Jesus elevated women. However, there are parts of the Bible that specifically talk about the role of women as pastors," the congregant said. "Are women allowed to pastor, or are they only allowed to work with kids?"

Continued below.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟136,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pastor Perry Noble didn't mince words when he criticized ministry leaders who say women shouldn't preach.

During a question-and-answer session at a May 5 church service, a congregant asked the 52-year-old senior pastor of Second Chance Church in Anderson, South Carolina, about his thoughts on women pastors.

"Throughout the Bible, Jesus elevated women. However, there are parts of the Bible that specifically talk about the role of women as pastors," the congregant said. "Are women allowed to pastor, or are they only allowed to work with kids?"

Continued below.
Even though I support women pastors, we all know that Jesus rose from the dead. It is right in the Bible. We do not need a preacher for that. We just need a Bible, a good pair of eyeballs to see that Jesus is alive, printed in black ink in the books of 1 Corinthians 15:12-23, Acts 1:3, and Luke 24.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟52,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The ones who broke the news of the Resurrection to the disciples were women, but that doesn't mean they were preachers. Had it been men who broke the news, I'd be of the same opinion about them.

The issue that's a sticking point to me is Paul's writings on the qualification of a minister and his opinion on women speaking in the church. It's easy to say "Oh, it's not right that a woman can't be a minister," but what I honestly what I would like to see is scriptural basis in the Christian church.

Note that the question of minister is not the same as question of missionary. One of my favorite books growing up was The White Queen of the Cannibals, about the missionary Mary Slessor. I think I know an instance where the Roman Catholic Church had a nun as essentially a missionary.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟136,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The ones who broke the news of the Resurrection to the disciples were women, but that doesn't mean they were preachers. Had it been men who broke the news, I'd be of the same opinion about them.

The issue that's a sticking point to me is Paul's writings on the qualification of a minister and his opinion on women speaking in the church. It's easy to say "Oh, it's not right that a woman can't be a minister," but what I honestly what I would like to see is scriptural basis in the Christian church.

Note that the question of minister is not the same as question of missionary. One of my favorite books growing up was The White Queen of the Cannibals, about the missionary Mary Slessor. I think I know an instance where the Roman Catholic Church had a nun as essentially a missionary.
Yeah, we need to get back to scriptures in churches in general. That is why I like the church that I go to, cos we read four passages from the Bible each Sunday. :) I might have to check out The White Queen of the Cannibals.

Are you Catholic also, if I may ask?

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟52,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Baptist. Yet my denomination isn't what's important: What the bible says is. If I hold to a certain doctrine because it's accepted by Baptists, I'm looking at the wrong reference. No, I won't rule out the possibility of influenced by doctrine.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟136,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Baptist. Yet my denomination isn't what's important: What the bible says is. If I hold to a certain doctrine because it's accepted by Baptists, I'm looking at the wrong reference. No, I won't rule out the possibility of influenced by doctrine.
Agreed. What my denomination isn't what is important either. I follow the Bible, as best as I can. There are some things in the Catholic faith that I do not fully agree with, same with things from the Protestant faith. But both sides have things that agree with the Bible, though not 100%.

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟43,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's ridiculous to turn every appearance of a woman in the Bible, into a theological statement.

This topic of being an "evangelist", also includes the problem that
the Greek word has multiple meanings.

To announce news, is quite a bit different than the gift of being an
evangelist.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟768,688.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The reason the women got to the tomb before the men was the fact they were going there to anoint his body.

The men wouldn't have been allowed near the place with the armed guard who were there specifically to stop anybody stealing his body.

But the soldiers probably would not have been bothered by the presence of the women.

Even if the women hadn't gone there, Christ would still have appeared to His disciples sooner or later.

I'm not in favour of women priests. I've heard a couple preach, and it just seems to me that something is missing. Maybe it's my preconceived notion, but it seems to me to be spiritual. I get a similar feeling with the Protesant communion - something is missing.

That's not to decry the roles that women undertake in the church. Most parishes would have ground to a standstill yesterday if women stopped doing what they do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟709,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Actually, because of the fact that woman don't have equal witness to men makes the Biblical account of Jesus' resurrection more believable...

If the story had been made up it never would have been women to find Him resurrected first, because they don't have equal witness. Yet, it's likely really the way it would have happened organically, women being first because of their duties.

Bur your right, there's a difference between being witnesses or herald and being in a pastoral role

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I've always liked the women pastors at churches I attended, including my current pastor.

People that say women shouldn't preach are simply hiding misogyny behind religion. God is not a respecter of persons, and neither should we.

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟43,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There is a trend among feminists, to point to every word in the Bible indicating
being a witness, or announcing something, as being support for women being
evangelists, etc.

But given the common biblical language of this language of witnessing and
reporting, this is like saying that the channel 4 weather person is an "evangelist",
and that we could never know what weather was coming, unless the channel 4
weather person told us.

As Jesus said, look at the sunset, or sunrise, and you will know what weather
is coming. He is not talking about the office of prophet or evangelist.

A pizza shop may send its drivers to deliver pizzas to specific addresses.
But just because they are "sent", this does not make the pizza delivery guy
an "Apostle".

Many of these modern arguments about offices in the people of God, are
just ridiculous. They do not reflect what the biblical language, means.

Given the report of the Roman guards at the tomb, the news would have
eventually reached the Apostles, even if the women had not told them.

Upvote 0