New Jersey
✟338,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Putin, being Russian Orthodox, may not care what the Catholic Church has to say about the war.

Wikipedia tells me that multiple Christian leaders (including Orthodox, Catholic, and Anglican) have condemned the Russian invasion of Ukraine, though the Russian Patriarch is an exception. I doubt that adding the voices of female clergy to the condemnations would make a difference to Putin.

What might make a difference is if the entirety of the Russian Orthodox clergy came out firmly against the invasion and were creative enough to find a face-saving way for Putin to leave Ukraine and return home. I acknowledge, though, that it's easy for me to say that from the safety of my home in America, where I can say what I like without being imprisoned. The Russian Orthodox leaders have steered their church through dangerous Soviet and Russian waters for many decades, and I don't envy them the difficulty of their task.

Upvote 0

Love365

Jul 23, 2020
Kentucky
✟97,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Putin, being Russian Orthodox, may not care what the Catholic Church has to say about the war.

Wikipedia tells me that multiple Christian leaders (including Orthodox, Catholic, and Anglican) have condemned the Russian invasion of Ukraine, though the Russian Patriarch is an exception. I doubt that adding the voices of female clergy to the condemnations would make a difference to Putin.

What might make a difference is if the entirety of the Russian Orthodox clergy came out firmly against the invasion and were creative enough to find a face-saving way for Putin to leave Ukraine and return home. I acknowledge, though, that it's easy for me to say that from the safety of my home in America, where I can say what I like without being imprisoned. The Russian Orthodox leaders have steered their church through dangerous Soviet and Russian waters for many decades, and I don't envy them the difficulty of their task.
Women can learn new languages about 4 times faster.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟735,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I can't help but feel that the Moscow Patriarchate has been firmly making its bed with Russian nationalists and the Putin regime; and it appears (at least looking from the outside in) that the growing schism between Moscow and the rest of the Orthodox Church isn't going to go away anytime soon.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,514,024.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I believe it is theoretically possible for a lay person to become a Catholic cardinal, and that did happen historically. Under current canon law it is not allowed.

If diplomacy is the concern, the better question might be whether it's possible for a lay person to be a papal legate, and I don't know the answer to that question. From what I can find by googling, the answer seems to be that it might be possible, but generally papal legates are senior clerics (the exception being, say, delegates to international conferences or the like). I'm not sure what canon law underpins that distinction, though.

As to the war in Ukraine, I'm not sure that the gender of the diplomat is likely to make much difference, there...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟829,101.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Putin being "Tsar" with Kirill as his altar boy may not care what the rest of the Russian Orthodox Church says either.

Women are not ordained in Russian Orthodoxy for theological and historical reasons. So a female delegation of cardinals would probably lack credibility.

Russia's own internal power dynamics and continued pressure from the Ukrainian armed forces are the two most likely factors to end this war right now.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟829,101.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many countries have women ambassadors.

Could the Catholic Church make women cardinals?

Women cardinals may be able to negotiate an end to the war in Ukraine.

Are you a machine or a human being?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Eastern Orthodox Church has married priests.

So if the Catholic Church started making women priests,
they could get married.
You identify as Catholic. What makes you think the church hierarchy has any inclination to female or married priests?

Upvote 0