United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Disclaimer: I am not trying to be negative, just stating how I felt:
1) Most of their literature does nothing more than produce endless talk about baptism and worship with no instruments.
2) Every week during the Lord's supper, the server seemed to talk about how taking the elements strenghened his walk with the Lord. I believe it is a time to remember what Jesus did for us at Calvary.
3) The song "The Greatest Commandment", sung at the end of many services, was hard to follow. I didn't know what part to sing.

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1) Most of their literature does nothing more than produce endless talk about baptism and worship with no instruments.
2) Every week during the Lord's supper, the server seemed to talk about how taking the elements strenghened his walk with the Lord. I believe it is a time to remember what Jesus did for us at Calvary.
3) The song "The Greatest Commandment", sung at the end of many services, was hard to follow. I didn't know what part to sing.

It sounds like they just move in a "same routine" tradition of a sort. I assure you, that is not how it should be.

#1 We are suppose to teach the WHOLE word. Not JUST "no instruments and baptism" but also the love, obedience, faithfulness, learn about the OT (because without understanding the OT, it would be hard to understand the NT since there are lots of quotes pulled from the OT) everything. If you have no elders, and you have a mens meeting, mention this. The flock needs ALL the scriptures information, not just parts and pieces over and over. If you have elders, tell them your concerns. Otherwise meet with the men and tell them.

#2 If you maybe pull the gentleman aside and ask him more in depth about why he doesnt more or less mention 1 Corinthains 11 (Lords supper part) or Matthew 26 (Lords supper part). Maybe you can both get an understanding more. How is he going to know if you dont tell him?

Side question. Do you attend the men's meetings (assuming you have no elders and what not)? Otherwise, if you have elders disregard that question. Instead, why not speak with the elders about your observations. No one can correct anything if you or no one brings anything up.

#3 - It sounds like a tradition being bound to me to have to sing a particular song every single time you guys meet, but I am not there, nor should I say anything against it.

However, why would this be a reason for you to not attend?

Scouts honor I probably sing worse than you. I have even less understanding of all them crazy musical notes in the song book. But over time, I can catch on to others and how they sing each song. Sure I mess up, but the point is to worship our Lord with praise of songs.

Songs are also edifying. Have you ever just stopped on the side to just read the song book? They have valuable lessons from scripture, put in song form.

So even if you have no clue whats going on, lift your voice and sing, regardless of talent.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont know many around your area, but I would say Southhaven MS if very biblically sound.

If you should have time to meet face to face, and get off your chest concerns and such, I am sure someone can help you.

Face to face to me, just seems better. Below is their website. I am not sure the distance to you, but if your profile says the correct city your in, those are the closest biblically sound ones I know there. I'm not too familiar with the area, so sorry I dont know of any closer to you.

Southaven church of Christ, Southaven, Mississippi

Call them up, meet them, tell them your story, see what they have to say, study with them.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In the Orthodox tradition, which includes Melkite Catholics, baptism is normally done by triple immersion, and for the most part, musical instruments are not used.

These just would not fit with our worship.

But we don't make issues of these.

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 - Hmmm - I have literally volumes of literature that discuss a whole gamut of topics besides baptism and instrumental music.
2 - Every church I've been the Lord's Supper was done by a different individual each week - and topics were always varied, though invariably DID address what Jesus did for us on the cross
3 - One of the things I enjoy about our church(es) is the singing. In fact, the Greatest Commandment is one of the most beautiful songs we sing - among a host of others. Our churches teach the members how to sing the various songs - something rarely experienced in most churches with choirs and others on stage who tend to do the singing for the congregation. The Greatest Commandment has four parts, each a function of the four key types of voices people have - Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Bass. I think it a travesty frankly that there are people in Christ's body that haven't been taught even the basics of how to sing - and I'm so thankful I WAS taught how to sing!

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0