Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟803,911.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The thief on the cross was baptized.

There's "...the doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2).

There's 3 main Biblical baptisms, immersions.

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus reconcilng us to God (at salvation). By this iimmersion we are a new creature in Christ (ii Cor 5:17).
2- By Jesus who sends the promise of the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit and comes upon us (The Spirit baptism)
3 - By another believer. All 3 persons of the Godhead involved in this, the water baptism, as well.

More details:
1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus which reconciles us to God is the baptism at salvation. It's being baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ by believing in His death, burial, and resurrection. We become new creatures in Christ. We will tell others of our salvation. (Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4-9, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13; Acts 2:38; Gal 3:27, II Cor 5:17-18, Rom 10:9).

Spirit and water baptism follows salvation - not in a set order though
2 - By Jesus who sends the promise of the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) includes when the Holy Spirit comes upon us, He endures us with power for service to Him, to be His witnesses, and to keep His Word. (Matt 3:11, 5:16; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; John 1:33, Acts 1:5, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; I Cor 12:13, Luk 24:49, Eph 5:18, Acts 4:31; I Joh

3 - By another believer (water baptism) Following Jesus' example - though His was not because of sin . "... fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness," (Matt 3:6-16, 28:18-20; Acts 8:39, 10:47, 22:16; John 3:5).

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟12,959.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So I made the pastor uncomfortable when I said the theif on the cross didn't get baptised. It was clear he didn't have a clear meaning of baptism and even talked about churches doing rebabtism.

So I am curious to what answers I will get here. I think for starters it is worth noting that the theif on the cross was literally dying with Jesus. So thus a symbolical gesture of it was definitely not needed for him.

I also think it is worth noting that Jesus did not say baptism is a means to salvation. There will be many on that day, baptised and even professing Jesus as Lord, who will not enter the Kingdom.
we should not forget that Jesus came to preach repentance and the kingdom of Heaven, the thief showed remorse, repented and was saved.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟913,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I made the pastor uncomfortable when I said the theif on the cross didn't get baptised. It was clear he didn't have a clear meaning of baptism and even talked about churches doing rebabtism.

So I am curious to what answers I will get here. I think for starters it is worth noting that the theif on the cross was literally dying with Jesus. So thus a symbolical gesture of it was definitely not needed for him.

I also think it is worth noting that Jesus did not say baptism is a means to salvation. There will be many on that day, baptised and even professing Jesus as Lord, who will not enter the Kingdom.
We should make a distinction between water baptism, John the Baptist, and the baptism of His Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ of Nazareth. John made the distinction then Paul made the distinction. Here is his account ...

Acts 19
And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples 2 he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”
So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.” 3 And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?”So they said, “Into John’s baptism.”
4 Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.”
When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. 7 Now the men were about twelve in all.

As we can read, these disciples did not get water baptised a second time , they were baptised in His Holy Spirit. There is a difference here which many miss for some reason. I am not say that a " water" baptism is unessarry, I am saying that it is not necessary for salvation.

( I know many think they were baptised in water for the second time however it just doesn't fit in the text when one follows it through)

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0