Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The following video walks through the history of advancements in long guns, from the hand cannon to the AR-15.

It details the importance of not endangering the weakest of our people, by forcing them to defend their own lives with "old," "clunky," "difficult to use," "relics."

Pass.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,109,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Below is a picture of yours truly showing this using a Remington R-4:

points of contact.jpg
Nice chicken wing.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,109,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Check these guys out, while not directly food or defense related they are interesting. I'm building a frame for one of their fresnel lenses in the background of our conversation. Most power generation starts with heat - even nuke reactors, all they are is doing is using the heat generated to boil water, turn it to steam and drive turbines. Boiling water is also useful just for making it safe as well. But the lens I have should have these stats on a sunny day... I figured it was better to have one than not ;)

* SIZE-----------------21H X 21W
* POWER EST.-----------7.8
* BEAM-----------------SPOT
* BEAM SIZE MAX POWER--.4 INCH (2.7" OUTER AREA 900 F)
* FOCAL LENGTH---------25 INCHES
* WEIGHT --------------5 LBS.
* MAX TEMP. CLIMB------1690 F IR THERMOMETER
* MAX COLLECTION-------1850F MATERIAL EST...........
* MATERIALS TESTED
* WATER------------12oz. BOILS 102 sec.
* WOOD-------------FLAME .1 SEC.
* ZINC-------------MELTS .5OZ 14 GRAMS - 17 SEC. * 3.1 GRAMS - 11 SEC.
* GLASS------------MELTS 1" X 1/4" BROWN GLASS 23 SEC.
* CONCRETE---------GLOW 21 SEC. EXPOSURE, MELT 39 SEC.

The melting point of aluminum is only 1220F... oh look! Now I've got a Forge...

I've been harvesting, threshing and winnowing barley this week. Normally I just let it go to seed; and let my animals graze it.

However what I hear from the experts again and again, is don't wait until you depend on your preparedness plan to find out whether or not it will work. Start now while resources are still available to tweak or change plans. I don't need this barley at all right now; but it will be extremely valuable to quantify the yield, and how much time and effort will go into processing that yield. Right now I can produce almost a 5 gal bucket per day; but that is using an electric drill for threshing, and an electric fan for winnowing. I need to build a thresher that runs on pedal power.

Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟233,683.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nice chicken wing.
Thanks, looking at the US Army field manual it's a textbook "chicken wing."

7-4. STANDING FIRING POSITION​

To assume the standing firing position, the soldier faces his target, executes a facing movement to his firing side, and spreads his feet a comfortable distance apart (Figure 7-4). With his firing hand on the pistol grip and his nonfiring hand on either the upper handguard or the bottom of the magazine, the soldier places the butt of the rifle in the pocket formed by his firing shoulder so the sights are level with his eyes. The weight of the rifle is supported by the firing shoulder pocket and nonfiring hand. The soldier shifts his feet until he is aiming naturally at the target and his weight is evenly distributed on both feet. The standing position provides the least stability but could be needed for observing the target area since it can be assumed quickly while moving. Support for any portion of the body or rifle improves stability. More stability can be obtained by adjusting the ammunition pouch to support the nonfiring elbow, allowing the rifle magazine to rest in the nonfiring hand.​

standing.jpg

Using the chicken wing gives the shooter the best stability and it's the best way to fire a rifle when in the standing position if accuracy is your goal.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟291,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
don't wait until you depend on your preparedness plan to find out whether or not it will work. Start now while resources are still available to tweak or change plans.

Yep; things always work a lot better in my head than the first time I try them lol. That's nice you have farmland and farm/animal experience - you should be way ahead of whatever game gets played if one starts. I figure I'll be as ready as I'm going to be in 6 months, and then I'll see how ready everyone else was. Good luck to you if things head South

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟291,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
using an electric drill for threshing, and an electric fan for winnowing. I need to build a thresher that runs on pedal power.
This is another fellow I follow, who has a lot of information which while it might not intended for prepping, could be useful to know. I've made his version #1 of the gassifier successfully, this is a second version. He has several vids on wood gas production

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,109,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yep; things always work a lot better in my head than the first time I try them lol. That's nice you have farmland and farm/animal experience - you should be way ahead of whatever game gets played if one starts. I figure I'll be as ready as I'm going to be in 6 months, and then I'll see how ready everyone else was. Good luck to you if things head South
Pshew!

I've been raising chickens for about 20 years. They're fairly easy; but there is a learning curve. Agriculture? I've been at it for about 10 years; and I'm just beginning to find what works on my land. I have had far more failure than success; and I have done a tremendous amount of research, speaking with people who have degrees on the subject, and reading scholarly papers on the subject. It's not easy; and I have a lot of time and money invested in my meager returns. Just learning how, and getting set up, to save seeds, on a mass scale, is a big deal. Will a single drought wipe out my stocks?

Without electricity or diesel, I can expect that return to be much less.

I'm OK with that. What I know now just might save my life, and the lives of others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,109,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
This is another fellow I follow, who has a lot of information which while it might not intended for prepping, could be useful to know. I've made his version #1 of the gassifier successfully, this is a second version. He has several vids on wood gas production

The world runs on energy. This has everything to do with prepping, whether you can find energy outside of what you can digest in calories, or not. At least you'll know what you're dealing with.

Here are some stats for farm workers:

With roughly 1500 steps taken each hour, these careers have people taking roughly 12,000 steps in an 8 hour period. By our calculations, that’s 175 calories per hour, or 1,400 in eight. Keep in mind that these numbers are based off of a 145 pound person.

Those are numbers for a small person, who doesn't have to work as hard with all of our modern conveniences. In other words, these are very conservative numbers.

Here are some stats on a gallon of diesel:

1 gallon of diesel fuel or heating oil (with sulfur content less than 15 parts per million) = 137,381 Btu

Here is the conversion from Btu to calorie:

1 Btu to calories = 252.05597 calories

So 1 gallon of diesel contains 137, 381 Btu X 252 = 34620012 calories.

An American (I don't really think that we know what a hard days work is) expends 1400 calories in a hard days work.

34620012 / 1400 = 24728 days.

Now we need to take into consideration the inefficiencies of the engines on farm equipment; but still this should begin to give us a picture of how much harder we might have to work without petroleum.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟291,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
still this should begin to give us a picture of how much harder we might have to work without petroleum.
Yep I was thinking about that when you were saying "electric drill for threshing, and an electric fan for winnowing. I need to build a thresher that runs on pedal power." There's an economy to calories - if I expend 600 calories to get 500 calories, I'll lose the game.

I'm not sure how big your threshers and drills are. I was thinking of something like the scale of a hand power drill running off a rechargeable battery; if I have a setup (solar, woodgas, whatever) that can drive a generator enough to charge a battery periodically, then I have portable tools and power, at least as long as the batteries continue to function and recharge (and probably for quite a bit longer than anyone else). Useful, and not burning calories with pedal power for anything needed.

I do have a small stock of gas, 25 gallons and a standard generator. lol and a couple of siphons... next to the bolt cutters... move along, nothing to see here ;) but I want a setup that still works at least partially to generate power if the stations aren't there for us; should be achievable and it's a fun project.

Electricity also gives you electrolysis, and electrolysis gives you Hydrogen... Turns out there are more calories in water than you might think, not as much as diesel (and not really safe to store), but enough to be impressive.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,109,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yep I was thinking about that when you were saying "electric drill for threshing, and an electric fan for winnowing. I need to build a thresher that runs on pedal power." There's an economy to calories - if I expend 600 calories to get 500 calories, I'll lose the game.

I'm not sure how big your threshers and drills are. I was thinking of something like the scale of a hand power drill running off a rechargeable battery; if I have a setup (solar, woodgas, whatever) that can drive a generator enough to charge a battery periodically, then I have portable tools and power, at least as long as the batteries continue to function and recharge (and probably for quite a bit longer than anyone else). Useful, and not burning calories with pedal power for anything needed.

I do have a small stock of gas, 25 gallons and a standard generator. lol and a couple of siphons... next to the bolt cutters... move along, nothing to see here ;) but I want a setup that still works at least partially to generate power if the stations aren't there for us; should be achievable and it's a fun project.

Electricity also gives you electrolysis, and electrolysis gives you Hydrogen... Turns out there are more calories in water than you might think, not as much as diesel (and not really safe to store), but enough to be impressive.

I've been making my own bleach and lye through electrolysis; and I have a powerful setup to do it. I have a 20A variac with a rectifier that can handle the current. I would have been making hydrogen for years now, if I had a good way to store it.

Well at least with the bleach and the lye, I can clean up nicely after I work up a sweat doing hard labor.

I had planned to build my own large NiFe batteries. I had been looking for a good source for a good price on 99% sheet nickle; but it looks like time is running out on that project. Food is a priority.

Chickens can live on grass. It's their primary food source; and I get more eggs than I can eat with about a dozen layers. I give away dozens of eggs every week; if I'm not mass filling my incubators. They slow down their laying in the winter; but with hydrated lime I can safely store eggs without refrigeration for a year.

I had over 100 chicken last year; but a feral cat came though; and there was a massacre. I have three incubators running non-stop this spring; and I will soon have over 100 chickens again. I can expect the young ones to start laying next spring.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟291,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've been making my own bleach and lye through electrolysis; and I have a powerful setup to do it. I have a 20A variac with a rectifier that can handle the current. I would have been making hydrogen for years now, if I had a good way to store it.
NICE!

This guy, maybe, for hydrogen storage. I'm not sure how long it "hangs onto" it though and haven't tried this. He's brilliant though.
Food is a priority.

Understood. I'll def check out the egg vid, getting along without reliable refrigeration is definitely a concern and not something I would expect to have.

Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,109,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
This guy, maybe, for hydrogen storage. I'm not sure how long it "hangs onto" it though and haven't tried this. He's brilliant though.
He is brilliant. I watched this video shortly after it was released. It looks cost effective; but it also looks like it would take a lot of work to get a system set up that would work.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟50,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Note: Haven't watched the video.

Making hydrogen is easy. Storage is hard. Even helium is tiny enough to leak through some solids, and hydrogen is smaller. It's colorless, odorless, and burns with an invisible flame. Would think that adding an odorant, as is done to natural gas and propane, would eliminate both the lack of scent and invisible flame, but is that part of hydrogen discussions? Also not fond of the idea of compressing the stuff. Above a certain concentration it can combust given an energy source.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟145,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it just means handguns are used more often.

Because these weapons are protected by the Constitution and citizens of the United States have a right to own guns with the exception of those which are deemed to be dangerous or unusual.

“Because these weapons are protected by the Constitution and citizens of the United States have a right to own guns with the exception of those which are deemed to be dangerous or unusual. “
Aren’t all weapons dangerous?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟904,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
“Because these weapons are protected by the Constitution and citizens of the United States have a right to own guns with the exception of those which are deemed to be dangerous or unusual. “
Aren’t all weapons dangerous?
and funny that a "weapon" can be just about anything a gun, a knife, a baseball bat, a car, a lead pipe, a beer bottle even a very sharp pencil could be a dangerous weapon if used in such a way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums