Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They don't just think God blessed her. They CALL her blessed. But you don't, apparently.
Such determined nit-picking over reciting a particular word that even the verse in question doesn't describe as anyone's obligation. :sigh:

Yes, Mary is lauded and admired by all generations and by Christians of many different denominations. There is no issue here unless someone wants to trump one up for no good reason.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟56,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
If some one is blessed by God are they to be admired as someone special ?
What does this have to do with blessed and bless-ED?

bless·ed
blest,ˈblesid/

Notice both pronunciations for the SAME word.

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟86,484.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Interchangably. I usually say blest, but the identical phrases where I say blest I'll sing songs where it is blessED. Tomayto, Tomahto.

No actually it is not.. Bless-ed implies that she is holy in herself ...blessed says one blessed by God and only holy because of His grace

There was nothing special about Mary until God blessed her..

small but one of the language differences we have

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟56,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
No actually it is not.. Bless-ed implies that she is holy in herself ...blessed says one blessed by God and only holy because of His grace
No it doesn't. They are simply different pronunciations of the same word, as I gave you Dictionary evidence of. If you think you are correct, provide documentation from a reliable source.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟56,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

Here is an example of what I'm saying of the interchangability. This is a song of the beatitudes, so all the blesseds are not about God, but are about people. The blessed following the first "Rejoice and be glad" is pronouced "Bless-ED."
C Am7 G C Am7 G C Am7 D
Rejoice and be glad! Blessed are you, holy are you,
C Am7 G C Am7 D G
Rejoice and be glad! Yours is the kingdom of God!

Do you know where I think you are getting this? Bless-ED is the older version of the pronunciation. It's the King James pronunciation. You probably associate it with "prayer talk" since many churches use King James English when they pray or talk about Jesus because they associate King James English with holy speech.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I do not see any difference in Mary then any other human being blessed by God for his purpose. She is NOT the 'Mother of God'. She was used as a vessel to bring forth God's will. Jesus existed before his birth:

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh_1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

We also find it to be so important that the Jesus became flesh, that the bible states it as a litmus test:

1Jn 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Jesus was not born into existence. Mary was used to bring the word of God into flesh.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟56,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I do not see any difference in Mary then any other human being blessed by God for his purpose. She is NOT the 'Mother of God'. She was used as a vessel to bring forth God's will. Jesus existed before his birth:
All "Mother of God" means is that He who is God came through her birth canal. It does not mean she created God. The phrase was used historically to determine who believed Jesus was truly God. Those who believed Jesus was God would call Mary the Theotokos, and those who did not refused.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
All "Mother of God" means is that He who is God came through her birth canal. It does not mean she created God. The phrase was used historically to determine who believed Jesus was truly God. Those who believed Jesus was God would call Mary the Theotokos, and those who did not refused.

Even so.... Why the emphasis? People even pray to her and other saints. She is no different than any other human being that God used for a miracle, or to get his will done.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟56,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Even so.... Why the emphasis? People even pray to her and other saints. She is no different than any other human being that God used for a miracle, or to get his will done.
She was the first and best Christian. Without her YES to God, what would we now have? She played a pivotal part in God's plan of salvation. Some people say, "Oh God would have just chosen someone else." We don't know that! He chose her for a REASON! This is why ALL GENERATIONS WILL CALL HER BLESSED.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
She was the first and best Christian. Without her YES to God, what would we now have? She played a pivotal part in God's plan of salvation. Some people say, "Oh God would have just chosen someone else." We don't know that! He chose her for a REASON! This is why ALL GENERATIONS WILL CALL HER BLESSED.

Regardless... Mary is not our savior. Mary is not the pivotal role of the story. She is a servant, that gave birth to the King. Mary is a human being that will stand right with us before Christ on judgment day. The emphasis of the virgin birth is the miracle all mighty God performed in placing himself in a womb of his creation. Mary is only a vessel. She can not save you or even hear your prayers.

Mat 3:9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

If God can raise up children unto Abraham from stones, then he could have chose anyone to be his vessel.

Point being: The emphasis is not on Mary, but the Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Who is saying she is?????? No one. Certainly not us Catholics. So why do you even mention it?
Because heaping praise and titles upon her (or adoring her, as you said earlier) is out of proportion to her place in the scheme of Creation. Yet Catholics fault Protestants who do honor and revere Mary because, in their opinion, we do not do enough of that. It's more like some kind of "gotcha" game or a contest than a serious religious issue.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟664,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That is disrespectful. It is no way to talk about the woman whom all generations will call blessed.

Then what would you prefer? Are we to pray to her? Jesus Himself is the only mediator between us and God the Father. I don't remember the scriptures saying we're to pray to Mary, or pray through her, or pray to or through anyone else other than Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: n2thelight
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That is disrespectful. It is no way to talk about the woman whom all generations will call blessed.

No... it is not disrespectful. I fully respect her for her willingness to be God's vessel.

There is nothing at all special about Mary. I only focus on the birth of my Christ. I do not see any significance more so than the angels or wise men used either. Mary was only a vessel for God to use.

Is there some how significance in Moses who was used to part water? Daniel in the loins den? Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego being thrown in the furnace? Nope. Just like Mary, they were all vessels for God to show his power by miracles. The people used had nothing to do with it other than the willingness/faith to be used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0