Dec 29, 2006
✟454,215.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is a very good study by my friend Amo, laying out the reasons....
Genesis 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

The penalty for disobeying God is death. Not because God wants to kill whoever goes against His will, but simply because God is the source of all life. Apart from Him is nothing. Therefore choosing to be apart from God results in death. God will not sustain sin. Disobeying God is not trusting the one who created and sustains you. How will the creature say to the creator, and sustainer, I will not do as you wish, and then demand to be sustained in rebellion of the one who is their very life. This is the condition of sin. God allows for it, but He will not sustain it.

God is perfectly pure, and righteous, and holy. There is nothing about God not to trust. However, God will not force His will, or righteous ways upon us, therefore He gives us the power of choice. This He did with humanity, by giving them the right to choose to do one thing which He commanded them not to do. He also warned them that the result of doing it would be death. So Adam and Eve chose to be separate from God by disobeying His command, and thus they chose death over life. This was past on to all of humanity from these our first parents.

God though, being perfectly pure, righteous, and holy, could not leave those whom He created and loved in this situation with no hope. Thus He devised the plan of salvation. This plan had to satisfy the demands of God’s authority, which cannot be challenged, or changed, and demands the death of the one who disobeys it. Again, this is not because God is a cruel tyrant, but because He truly is the perfect standard for all creation. Thus God had to make a plan that would allow humanity to die as it deserves, and yet have everlasting life with Him, for the one who chooses to love, trust, and obey Him. This is why Christ had to die. Observe the following.

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. 17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. 18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Jesus Christ, who is God, became one of us. He partook of our flesh and blood, was born of the seed of Abraham, was made like unto His brethren in all things, and was tempted in all points as we are, yet without sin. This is our salvation. He came as one of us, to do what we could not do, that is, submit ourselves fully to God. After once, we had disobeyed God, we became like the one we had believed and obeyed above God, that is Satan. We placed ourselves above God by choosing to do that which God had commanded us not to do. What is this, but making oneself, their own God. Thus we lost the ability to be like God, and became like the one whom we obeyed, who himself wished to be God (Isa. 14:12-14). This Jesus came to undo.

Hebrews 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. 5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: 6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. 7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. 8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; 9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Jesus came to fulfill the will of God the Father, in our human flesh, for we could not. He lived in our flesh, without ever fulfilling the desires of the flesh, or sin if you will. This required the sacrifice of His human nature all His life long, and finally altogether and literally at the cross. This condemned sin in the flesh. Thus by fulfilling only the will of His heavenly Father in our human flesh, Christ condemned sin in the flesh.

John 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

John 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

John 8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. 29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Jesus, as one of us, lived a life of perfect righteousness. He did nothing of Himself, but only fulfilled the will of His heavenly Father in our flesh. This condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteousness of God’s law might be fulfilled in our sinful flesh. Fulfilling the righteousness of God’s law in our flesh, is the condemnation of sin in the flesh. Those who walk after the Spirit, and not the flesh, have followed Jesus in condemning sin in the flesh. It is those who walk in the flesh that cannot please God, for they are not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. We know that Jesus had the Holy Spirit of God, for it descended upon Him in the form of a dove after He was baptized (Matt. 3:16&17). So how does this transaction take place? How does one walk in the Spirit, and not in the flesh. It must begin for us, where it ended with Christ.

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: 6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. 7 For he that is dead is freed from sin. 8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: 9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. 10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. 11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. 12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. 13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Jesus Christ fulfilled the will of God in our human flesh all His life, and it led Him directly to the cross. Where it ended for Him, it must begin for us. If you will believe in Him, that He was the Son of God, and that He lived and died as one of us for you , then you may by faith enter into His experience, and be made right with God. If by faith you accept your death with Him on the cross, then He will give you His life in the place of the life of the sinner which you wish to renounce. When we are in Christ, we are justified, for he who is dead is free from sin, for they have fulfilled the demands of the law, which is the death of the sinner. When Christ is in us, we are sanctified, because He is God, who is pure, and righteous, and holy.

This is our salvation, and this is why Christ had to die, so that this atonement between humanity and God could take place. Miracle of miracles, that we can die, and yet have eternal life with our awesome God. This is what Christ accomplished for us by becoming one of us, and living, and dying for us.

The relationship that Jesus had with His Father, is the relationship that Jesus desires to have with us. All of this was made possible by Christ becoming one of us, and living, and dying for us. That we might partake of the same.

John 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? 10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. 20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. 21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. 8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. 9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. 10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. 11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

God loves us. He did not want to lose us after we fell in the garden. Thus He sent His Son to live and die for us. This is why Christ had to die, that we might be in Him, and He might be in us, that we might be one again. Atonement = At - one - ment. Praise God! When we were created we were the children of God as all created beings are. Now though, even after rebelling against our God, He has offered to make us His literal flesh and blood sons and daughters through the precious blood of His Son the Lord Jesus Christ. This is unfathomable love.

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

How can one finish explaining what we will be studying throughout the endless ages of eternity, the infinite love of God. I hope the above has helped you to understand why Christ had to die, and will encourage you to ever pursue a greater knowledge of the love of God. Don’t be afraid to pick up your cross and follow Jesus. God has proven to us all through His Son, that He can be trusted completely with our lives.

Matthew 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. 39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Matthew 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. 25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.