Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
Christians are temples of the Holy Spirit. When a Christian sins he or she invites Satan into the temple. If Satan is invited in the Holy Spirit will leave.

People believe people who know God can sin. John says that is not possible.

(1 John 3: 3 - 9) “Surely everyone who entertains this hope must purify himself, must try to be as pure as Christ. Any one who sins at all breaks the law, because to sin is to break the law. Now you know that He appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in Him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen Him or known Him. My children do not let anyone lead you astray; to live a holy life is to be holy just as He is holy; to lead a sinful life is to belong to the Devil, since the Devil was a sinner from the beginning. It was to undo all that the Devil has done that the Son of God appeared. No one who has been begotten by God

heavenschild

Aug 27, 2009
✟7,993.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Charismatic Renwal in the Catholic Church has far from failed. In fact, if you look at it worldwide, it is thriving.

Perhaps in certain areas it is thriving, but in the parishes that I've belonged to in the past 27 years, it is all but non existent.

Many years ago, just about every catholic church had a large charismatic prayer group. Where I live, I'm hard pressed to find even a small one today.

The good that has come out of the charismatic movement for me personally, is that it has led me to daily mass and also frequent adoration of our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟36,557.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
IMO Charismatic groups keep failing because so many charismatics believe that their 'interior voice' is the Holy Spirit, when in reality its their own heart. As a result they get lead astray and even fall into a kind of self worship.

Another aspect, IMO, is that many charismatics are the spiritual equivalent of people who move from relationship to relationship because they are obsessed with the initial 'rush' and 'warm fuzzies' of being in love, but they never develop deep relationships because that initial feeling always fades and they don't stick around (and really have no interest) in the stronger, deeper, relationship that comes after in a mature relationship.

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
P

Peaceful Dove

IMO Charismatic groups keep failing because so many charismatics believe that their 'interior voice' is the Holy Spirit, when in reality its their own heart. As a result they get lead astray and even fall into a kind of self worship.

Another aspect, IMO, is that many charismatics are the spiritual equivalent of people who move from relationship to relationship because they are obsessed with the initial 'rush' and 'warm fuzzies' of being in love, but they never develop deep relationships because that initial feeling always fades and they don't stick around (and really have no interest) in the stronger, deeper, relationship that comes after in a mature relationship.

Just my opinion.

Simon_Templar you surprise me. I am not faulting you, but you really surprise me. I thought you had a different idea of the Charismatic Renewal.
As you well know, I am working toward my 50th year in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. You should also know that my eyes are solidly fixed on Jesus, at least I would think you would. I would also guess that you know that I am a deeply committed and mature Christian. I am not an isolated case in the Catholic Church.

We are active in the northern part of inland California. Some folks refer to it as the northern Sacramento Valley although we are truly about half way between Sacramento and the Oregon border. We have Charismatic 1st Friday Masses every month and we have been doing this for about 7 years ... yes, every month. We have had 7 or 8 of the local priests in our area rotating doing these Masses. We also have a Charismatic Prayer Meeting all the other Fridays. We have folks from all these various parishes who attend and support us. We have done Parish Missions, Life in the Spirit Seminars, had prayer booths at Parish Festivals and even at the City Hall during the National day of Prayer. We are very active.

All I can say, if a Parish doesn't have a Prayer Group, then it is your duty, (not you Simon_Templar....I mean the Charismatic Catholics in a parish) to get out there and start one. If you don't, who will? huh? I had to get lung cancer and be healed to know that is what God asks of us. You be obedient to the Holy Spirit and He will open doors.

Simon_Temlar, I would say if our "interior voice" produces Fruit it is indeed the Holy Spirit. All good things come from God.

Reactions: map4
Upvote 0

map4

Love Never Fails
Mar 29, 2008
Texas
✟18,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Simon_Templar you surprise me. I am not faulting you, but you really surprise me. I thought you had a different idea of the Charismatic Renewal.
As you well know, I am working toward my 50th year in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. You should also know that my eyes are solidly fixed on Jesus, at least I would think you would. I would also guess that you know that I am a deeply committed and mature Christian. I am not an isolated case in the Catholic Church.

We are active in the northern part of inland California. Some folks refer to it as the northern Sacramento Valley although we are truly about half way between Sacramento and the Oregon border. We have Charismatic 1st Friday Masses every month and we have been doing this for about 7 years ... yes, every month. We have had 7 or 8 of the local priests in our area rotating doing these Masses. We also have a Charismatic Prayer Meeting all the other Fridays. We have folks from all these various parishes who attend and support us. We have done Parish Missions, Life in the Spirit Seminars, had prayer booths at Parish Festivals and even at the City Hall during the National day of Prayer. We are very active.

All I can say, if a Parish doesn't have a Prayer Group, then it is your duty, (not you Simon_Templar....I mean the Charismatic Catholics in a parish) to get out there and start one. If you don't, who will? huh? I had to get lung cancer and be healed to know that is what God asks of us. You be obedient to the Holy Spirit and He will open doors.

Simon_Temlar, I would say if our "interior voice" produces Fruit it is indeed the Holy Spirit. All good things come from God.

I am not Catholic but I am Charasmatic. Thankfully I don't fall in to the description Simon_Templar gave either!! I've been to the same church for 19 yrs so I don't see all the failings that others talk about.
Our church is a praying, Spirit led church. We have committed members. Not saying none have ever left, but the majority stay.
We have ladies in the church praying every Tues. morning. And every Thurs. night the whole church is invited to pray. We believe in the power of prayer. This is in addition to Sun morning & night services and Wed night service.
We are a body that ministers to each other. We have a great pastor that we believe is led by the Holy Spirit. We follow him, so to speak, but we hear from the Holy Spirit ourselves also.

Thank God there are members of the Charasmatic community, whether Catholic or not, that ARE NOT failing. We don't all have our heads in the sand believing anything and everything out there! ^_^

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟36,557.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Dove,

I suppose I should have been more clear. I assumed that most people know I'm charismatic and was raised in a charismatic church.

I was not intending to generalize about the entire charismatic renewal, especially in the Catholic Church since I have no direct experience of really knowledge of its history.

However, it is my experience in the charismatic groups that I grew up in, as well as others I have seen/observed, that when they fail, the root issues are what I stated in my first post.

I have seen time and time again groups start out with a bang and either fall apart because people are convinced that God told them completely different things and they end up fighting and denouncing each other, or because the initial excitement eventually fades and all the people move on to the next new 'revival', convinced that some how the first group 'stifled the Spirit' or 'became stale' because the initial rush experience wasn't there anymore.

I've also seen some groups go off the deep end because the leadership believed that God revealed things to them which were completely false and off the wall.

I agree with you that if the interior leading, or "interior voice" produces good fruit it is of God. However, one of the problems in the charismatic movement, that I encounter over and over again is people who listen to whatever their inner voice tells them without caution and without discernment, assuming it to be God.

After 30 years in the Charismatic movement, I have to say that it is the exception for me to see someone who truly exhibits the fruit of the Spirit at a level that stands out from even my nominal, or non-christian aquaintences.

Consequently, I have come to the conclusion that most of the people I have known can't really tell the difference between God's interior leading and their own heart telling them what they want to hear.

I didn't mean to imply at all that these problems invalidate the charismatic renewal. I assumed since we are posting on a charismatic forum that it would be understood that I believe in and agree with the charismatic renewal.
I meant my comments to be taken in the context of, "I think these are some of the main problems that can arise among charismatics and are often at the root of the charismatic groups that fail."

I believe very much that the internal aspect of the Faith which is often central to real charismatic experience, including the internal dialogue and internal leading of the Spirit is absolutely essential. I think its almost impossible to have an intimate relationship with God without having that on some level at least.
However, it is also an area where many people are lead astray, including many many charismatics because they don't use sound judgement and they abandon the objective external guidlines of doctrine etc. in favor of the internal voice.

I apologize if it seemed like I was condemning the entire charismatic renewal. I was intending only to discuss what I think is at the root of most of the failures and abuses that do occur.

Upvote 0
P

Peaceful Dove

Dove,

I suppose I should have been more clear. I assumed that most people know I'm charismatic and was raised in a charismatic church.

I was not intending to generalize about the entire charismatic renewal, especially in the Catholic Church since I have no direct experience of really knowledge of its history.

However, it is my experience in the charismatic groups that I grew up in, as well as others I have seen/observed, that when they fail, the root issues are what I stated in my first post.

I have seen time and time again groups start out with a bang and either fall apart because people are convinced that God told them completely different things and they end up fighting and denouncing each other, or because the initial excitement eventually fades and all the people move on to the next new 'revival', convinced that some how the first group 'stifled the Spirit' or 'became stale' because the initial rush experience wasn't there anymore.

I've also seen some groups go off the deep end because the leadership believed that God revealed things to them which were completely false and off the wall.

I agree with you that if the interior leading, or "interior voice" produces good fruit it is of God. However, one of the problems in the charismatic movement, that I encounter over and over again is people who listen to whatever their inner voice tells them without caution and without discernment, assuming it to be God.

After 30 years in the Charismatic movement, I have to say that it is the exception for me to see someone who truly exhibits the fruit of the Spirit at a level that stands out from even my nominal, or non-christian aquaintences.

Consequently, I have come to the conclusion that most of the people I have known can't really tell the difference between God's interior leading and their own heart telling them what they want to hear.

I didn't mean to imply at all that these problems invalidate the charismatic renewal. I assumed since we are posting on a charismatic forum that it would be understood that I believe in and agree with the charismatic renewal.
I meant my comments to be taken in the context of, "I think these are some of the main problems that can arise among charismatics and are often at the root of the charismatic groups that fail."

I believe very much that the internal aspect of the Faith which is often central to real charismatic experience, including the internal dialogue and internal leading of the Spirit is absolutely essential. I think its almost impossible to have an intimate relationship with God without having that on some level at least.
However, it is also an area where many people are lead astray, including many many charismatics because they don't use sound judgement and they abandon the objective external guidlines of doctrine etc. in favor of the internal voice.

I apologize if it seemed like I was condemning the entire charismatic renewal. I was intending only to discuss what I think is at the root of most of the failures and abuses that do occur.

Ahhh, now this is the Simon Templar I have know for so long. You explained your meaning very clearly and I have to agree with you.

I think I must have mis-understood your first post.

As usual, we seem to see things very much the same.
That too, I think is the Holy Spirit. He tends to work in the direction of Unity in the Body. By their Fruit, you will know them.
Blessings, Simon Templar.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟255,324.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Charismatic groups need keep up with the Spirit of God, who in particular in the CCR, need not as much evangelism, as "The Blessing of the Father's Heart" and "Soaking" time, in His Father's love, seeking His face. Climbing the mountain of God figuratively and coming down with something to give away, love itself, Romans 5:5 and light, living water and Jesus blood, FIRE! In a gentle spirit. If we do not keep up with the move of God loving up on the church and not just messages, then we will miss Him.

Sometimes the priest or Bishop thinks more than he seeks the Holy Spirit. The members are led, in part by him, and they are the ones who ask for the words of knowledge and outpour the Spirit.

Recently I was told "his love is poured upon you."...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

winsome

English, not British
Dec 15, 2005
England
✟19,011.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My thoughts on this, for what they are worth, is that there is a lack of pastoring by priests and bishops, who in general (& in my limited experience) seem wary of CCR and keep their distance.

A thriving charismatic group in Satan's firing line. Leaders need to be deeply rooted in the Church, and in its teachings. Also ideally they should have a spiritual director.

Upvote 0
P

Peaceful Dove

My thoughts on this, for what they are worth, is that there is a lack of pastoring by priests and bishops, who in general (& in my limited experience) seem wary of CCR and keep their distance.

A thriving charismatic group in Satan's firing line. Leaders need to be deeply rooted in the Church, and in its teachings. Also ideally they should have a spiritual director.

You have that absolutely right.
We are so very blessed in our Prayer Group. We have 7 Priests from 4 local parishes rotate every 1st Friday to say a Charismatic Healing Mass for us. Over the past years, we have had priests transferred out and their replacement jump right in to help us.
When we started Agape Prayer Group, the Lord said if we were obedient, He would open every door and he has been totally faithful to His promise.
Even the Priests who tell us they are not Charismatic seem to love our group and are always there to help us. They are just awesome guys. :clap::clap::clap:

Upvote 0

winsome

English, not British
Dec 15, 2005
England
✟19,011.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You have that absolutely right.
We are so very blessed in our Prayer Group. We have 7 Priests from 4 local parishes rotate every 1st Friday to say a Charismatic Healing Mass for us. Over the past years, we have had priests transferred out and their replacement jump right in to help us.
When we started Agape Prayer Group, the Lord said if we were obedient, He would open every door and he has been totally faithful to His promise.
Even the Priests who tell us they are not Charismatic seem to love our group and are always there to help us. They are just awesome guys. :clap::clap::clap:

Indeed you are very blessed :clap: :clap: :clap:

Upvote 0
P

Peaceful Dove

For all of you. You never know what can be accomplished in your Parish until you ask.
We have been continually amazed at the doors God continues to open.

Just ask. If this pastor says, "no", pray and ask the next pastor.
When someone tells me it might not be God's will, think about it. Just think about it.
Why on earth wouldn't it be God's will? Someone might not want it but I am pretty sure it is not God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

5o years in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal!

Awesome Peaceful Dove.

And, you are a Catholic and your eyes are solidly fixed on Jesus. Hey everybody listen up, Catholics are Jesus focused ok.

[I get the why Mary thing too much.]

Anyway, I am not into CCR. I prefer the Mass.

But, if you don't mind, I don't mind dropping by.

I like all the jamming with Jesus thing. But, it is really the respectful behaviour towards God in the Mass which I like. I get a bit lost in Charismatic. I believe that is one of the reason why the RCC is attractive. Most other churches is charismatic, the music is so loud, cannot hear youself think. Sometimes, I am just not in the mood for loud clappy people.

I like the solemnity of the mass. Where everybody behave as they should in front of a King of Kings, Jesus in the Eucharist.

Am drawn to Jesus by Mary. Protestants will get a heart attack reading this. And, probably send me innuendos. Well, Peaceful Dove, this here is a Catholic wanna be and I am coming out of the closet.

And, I stopped going to RCIA due to laziness. Sigh.

Have lots of Catholic friends. And, I think I must get used to Protestants taking sling shots at me because I am into Catholictism.

Honestly, it happened some time back, a group of us (my Catholic friends and I) met a Protestant. First thing he said, started attacking the RCC. You guys don't use condoms bla bla bla. And, the Mary issue was brought up by him. And, my Catholic friends just answered the best they could. I guess tired of the charade. I am.

I never heard any of my Catholic friends going, so you Protestant, and say something about their church. Never. We are more interested in having fun.

Upvote 0
P

Peaceful Dove

5o years in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal!

Awesome Peaceful Dove.

And, you are a Catholic and your eyes are solidly fixed on Jesus. Hey everybody listen up, Catholics are Jesus focused ok.

[I get the why Mary thing too much.]

Anyway, I am not into CCR. I prefer the Mass.

But, if you don't mind, I don't mind dropping by.

I like all the jamming with Jesus thing. But, it is really the respectful behaviour towards God in the Mass which I like. I get a bit lost in Charismatic. I believe that is one of the reason why the RCC is attractive. Most other churches is charismatic, the music is so loud, cannot hear youself think. Sometimes, I am just not in the mood for loud clappy people.

I like the solemnity of the mass. Where everybody behave as they should in front of a King of Kings, Jesus in the Eucharist.

Am drawn to Jesus by Mary. Protestants will get a heart attack reading this. And, probably send me innuendos. Well, Peaceful Dove, this here is a Catholic wanna be and I am coming out of the closet.

And, I stopped going to RCIA due to laziness. Sigh.

Have lots of Catholic friends. And, I think I must get used to Protestants taking sling shots at me because I am into Catholictism.

Honestly, it happened some time back, a group of us (my Catholic friends and I) met a Protestant. First thing he said, started attacking the RCC. You guys don't use condoms bla bla bla. And, the Mary issue was brought up by him. And, my Catholic friends just answered the best they could. I guess tired of the charade. I am.

I never heard any of my Catholic friends going, so you Protestant, and say something about their church. Never. We are more interested in having fun.

You know what? I am a convert. I use to really hate the Catholic church and said all those things you mentioned and a lot more.

However, I love my non-Catholic brothers and sisters to pieces. They cannot say anything that well keep me from loving them. I don't worry about what is said, I just keep on loving them. I mean not just saying I love them, I truly do love them.

Upvote 0

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
You know what? I am a convert. I use to really hate the Catholic church and said all those things you mentioned and a lot more.

However, I love my non-Catholic brothers and sisters to pieces. They cannot say anything that well keep me from loving them. I don't worry about what is said, I just keep on loving them. I mean not just saying I love them, I truly do love them.

That is so cool Peaceful Dove. That is so Christian. What made you want to be a Catholic? What made you give up really hating the Catholic church?

At the moment I am still hurting. It is difficult to love when one has been shot at and the wound is still fresh. I try to be nice. That is all. I am a new Christian. All I said was, hey guys - I found Jesus too , through Mary.

Bish bash bosh. Splat. Was the response. Ok to be fair some Christians were nice. But, they were Catholics. I think. Now, I am have gone into hiding into the Catholic threads. Not surfacing until I feel better. Aching.

I did not expect the response. I thought Christians will be whoopi yippee. Pretty disappointing. Sigh.

So, what do you want to do with this thread? I am all eyes. [to read what you write ;)]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.