Why are threads on Christian universalism so popular?

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟998,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If that satisfies your kneed to know, good for u. I just think we are missing something on this subject as well as several others. God has it all figured out, we don"t.
Do you have any thoughts on what might be missing? I think everything we need is written in scripture. The wall I keep bumping into is some folks bring a lot of assumptions/presuppositions with them because that is what they were taught by their pastors, teachers, leaders and scholars and [re]interpret scripture to line up with those assumptions/presuppositions. For example some have been taught that "the Greek word 'aionios' never means 'eternal.'"
Here is a link to one of my posts where I cite 20 vss. where "aionios" is defined/described as "eternal."

Upvote 0

misput

JimD
Sep 5, 2018
Pacific, Mo.
✟153,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any thoughts on what might be missing? I think everything we need is written in scripture. The wall I keep bumping into is some folks bring a lot of assumptions/presuppositions with them because that is what they were taught by their pastors, teachers, leaders and scholars and [re]interpret scripture to line up with those assumptions/presuppositions. For example some have been taught that "the Greek word 'aionios' never means 'eternal.'"
Here is a link to one of my posts where I cite 20 vss. where "aionios" is defined/described as "eternal."
The rich man and Lazarus are certainly depicted in physical terms so there is that to deal with. I do believe the body ceases to exist at death but I am not sure time or physicality has any meaning after that. I am not sure eternal torment would serve any purpose where time is meaningless. Like I said, I don't have everything figured out but I rest in faith until that happens.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟998,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The rich man and Lazarus are certainly depicted in physical terms so there is that to deal with. I do believe the body ceases to exist at death but I am not sure time or physicality has any meaning after that. I am not sure eternal torment would serve any purpose where time is meaningless. Like I said, I don't have everything figured out but I rest in faith until that happens.
Last book last chapter. No more salvation, no more death.
Revelation 22:11
(11) He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
Revelation 22:15
(15) For without [new Jerusalem] are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.​

Upvote 0

misput

JimD
Sep 5, 2018
Pacific, Mo.
✟153,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Last book last chapter. No more salvation, no more death.
Revelation 22:11

(11) He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

Revelation 22:15

(15) For without [new Jerusalem] are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
Repetitious posting serves no purpose.

• Winner
Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
why has Christian universalism never gone away?

It's because people in general don't like to be faced with the reality that there will be consequences for their actions or lack of actions in their life when they are judged by God.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟615,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's because people in general don't like to be faced with the reality that there will be consequences for their actions or lack of actions in their life when they are judged by God.
Christian universalism is about what God does with those who aren't believers in Christ.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟998,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Repetitious posting serves no purpose.
The same ol' arguments which have been debunked repeatedly, at least for the last 2 decades, repeated over and over merit only the same rebuttals.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟838,421.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Alternatively, why has Christian universalism never gone away?

The question's not discussed in churches and if it's mentioned at all it's usually only to denounce it as a heresy. And yet the belief in universal reconciliation (UR) has been a consistent strand throughout church history. Today, in terms of books sold and YouTube videos watched - the only type of metrics possible as there are hardly any universalist churches around to allow a meaningful count of posteriors on pews - the interest in UR is increasing while mainstream church attendance is declining, certainly in the UK anyway. It seems to me that CF also shows this trend in that threads on UR have considerably more comments and, more significantly, views than those on any other subject.

Could it possibly be that the reason belief in universal reconciliation has never gone away is because it's the truth that scripture points to?

And let's remember who we are and keep it civil folks (assuming anyone replies!).
It is because 60% of the Evangelical churches believe in it. When I was a youngster in my Presbyterian Sunday school, we were led to believe that everyone will get to heaven because we were in a Christian country. It was only when I was19 years of age that I learned that in order to be saved I needed to receive Christ as my Saviour and trust in His death of the Cross for my sins.

Statistics state that only 40% of Evangelicals believe they are saved because they trust in Christ's death on the Cross and they have received Him as Saviour. The rest believe that because they belong to a Christian church and live a good life they will be saved - because God is such a God of love He wouldn't send people to Hell for eternity.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟249,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Alternatively, why has Christian universalism never gone away?

The question's not discussed in churches and if it's mentioned at all it's usually only to denounce it as a heresy. And yet the belief in universal reconciliation (UR) has been a consistent strand throughout church history. Today, in terms of books sold and YouTube videos watched - the only type of metrics possible as there are hardly any universalist churches around to allow a meaningful count of posteriors on pews - the interest in UR is increasing while mainstream church attendance is declining, certainly in the UK anyway. It seems to me that CF also shows this trend in that threads on UR have considerably more comments and, more significantly, views than those on any other subject.

Could it possibly be that the reason belief in universal reconciliation has never gone away is because it's the truth that scripture points to?

And let's remember who we are and keep it civil folks (assuming anyone replies!).
Well if your a Christian I think the idea of a Universal world is a truth told in the Bible. But its not just a Biblical truth but really a truth for humankind. This is reflected in even secular society with examples like the Declaration of many nations and Univsersal Human Rights, and Dr Kings civil Rights movement back in the 60s ect.

Its the basis for upholding human dignity and worth. That no person can be denied certain natural Rights regardless of State intervention or subjective ideas about human value. That we are united and not judged by the colour of our skin.

That being said I think the opposite is happening where UR is being rejected in favor of identity politics even many Churches supporting this. Over the years as society has moved away from God and Christianity a new kind of religion is taking its place where individualism is the utmost truth to worship.

Its now about society being divided into identity groups which is very divisive. We have Christians, Muslims, political groups like Marxist, Liberals, Conservatives, Left, Right, Blacks, Whites, Males, Females, Trans, growing gender identities, ethnicity Race the list goes on.

This idea of individual liberalism stems from Enlightenment but I don't think they envisioned the type of society we have ended up with today. IMO it makes sense that taking God out of the picture has caused this. At least taking the idea of some independent entity or source beyond humans themsleves has led us inwards. Now all meaning in life is with us, our existence, our identity and experiences over all else.

We are the gods of our own life so the ideas we come up with are our ideas. But we are fallible humans who have an evil side as well as a goode side and left to our own devices I think we tend to mess things up by our history especially in the 20th century.

We are not becoming universal but a divided world. Theres no common belief and truth as a nation and it seems the world is going that way as well. We need something, anything but ourselevs to base truth on to bring about a united world. Something untouchable and good to unite us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟270,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course universalism would be popular with there being a general desire for everyone we ever care for getting to heaven with us, and with that repentance would be irrelevant. But with God it is not ever irrelevant, even while God cares for all. The way of salvation is provided for all, God is not willing that any would just perish, but those not coming to be repentant will not be saved, many are that way, Christ is the narrow way. Justice from God Christ bore, which applies to those who really come to him, and they are restored to God, others are all left with the justice coming to them, and that is fair. What they suffer even if they would always have misery will still be what is fair from God.

• Agree
Reactions: Aussie Pete
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟223,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟223,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God is not willing that any would just perish, but those not coming to be repentant will not be saved
And will therefore be tortured in the most inhumanly cruel manner possible, forever.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟223,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because they're not satisfied with just Jesus.
For God so loved the world, that most of those whom He has created He will condemn to be tortured forever.

• Winner
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟270,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right up there with the notion of God as pitilous, merciless, implacable torturer. And will therefore be tortured in the most inhumanly cruel manner possible, forever.

I never say that. I don't really believe that at all. As I have told you a previous time. Clearly false allegations are a preferred strategy. I have explained myself well enough previously. Don't continue with me.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟270,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are great visions for humanity, but the reality is humanity not coming to those greater things, and if that was what we did and it was most important it makes Christ irrelevant. But Christ is our real need, for any restoration to God. It just works for those that really come to Christ, with that repentant faith. That it is the narrow way is biblical.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟270,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That universalism has as much acceptance as it does has nothing to do with what is shown in the Bible, there is the narrow way that Christ meant, that any should come to him, and in him there is life for us. This theme reoccurs in various places in the Bible, and not out of context like passages used with another understanding for saying salvation will be for all who live. Creatures in general will have deliverance, the sins by which curse spreads more and more through the world are from human people, they are ones needing to repent with faith by which Christ provides salvation through all he has done and what he does in our lives. It is available, all could come to this, but it is a narrow way and many don't and are on the broad way to condemnation.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟223,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The rich man will be in conscious torment in Hades until he's thrown into the Lake of Fire where he will be in fully conscious torment night and day forever and ever.
Why? Cui bono? What good is done for anyone by such a ghastly, vicious, act of cruelty? Was our Lord tortured to death so that most of those He created will suffer unspeakable torment forever, by His decree?

Upvote 0