Why are threads on Christian universalism so popular?

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟998,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. That's why if I really believed your exegesis was right I'd be an atheist. The exegetical argument matters for me. But if the question is why people are attracted to universalism it's because they consider Christianity with ECT self-contradictory, and they'd like for other reasons to believe that it's not.
Many people grew up believing in hell. We don't typically reconsider that kind of belief without some reason. I believe in most cases the reason is a moral concern, not stumbling on some better exegesis. Once you think there's a problem with ECT, it's then natural to ask: does this invalidate Christianity, or can one find some reasonable understanding of Christianity that doesn't include ECT? That's where the popularity of universalism came from, which was the question here.
There is a followon question of whether one can reasonably understand Christianity as not including ECT. That's what you keep talking about. But you're not addressing the question that was originally asked, about why people are interested in universalism. There have been plenty of threads in which you argued that ECT is inherent in Christianity. I don't agree with you, but that's not the question for this thread.
I do not use the term ECT it's not biblical. I first attended Sunday School when FDR was president. The only thing I remember was how good the red Koolaide tasted. I attended Sunday School sporadically through my childhood especially when near my paternal grandmother. I did not become a Christian until my mid 20s when LBJ was president. Unlike many others I did not have any denominational baggage to unload. I questioned everything from day one. I can understand the attraction UR has, people can live like the devil and believe they will still be saved. Unfortunately neither the Father nor Jesus ever say unequivocally that all mankind will be saved.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,153,507.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I can understand the attraction UR has, people can live like the devil and believe they will still be saved. Unfortunately neither the Father nor Jesus ever say unequivocally that all mankind will be saved.
If you think that’s the attraction, you’ve badly misjudged your fellow Christians.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟998,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you think that’s the attraction, you’ve badly misjudged your fellow Christians.
I doubt that you speak for all believers in UR. I'm still waiting for some scripture where the Father or Jesus, themselves, unequivocally state that all mankind will be saved.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟615,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not use the term ECT it's not biblical.
Sure it is. Luke 16:19-32 describes the conscious torment of the rich man being punished which he's fully conscious of. In Matthew 25:46 Jesus says eternal punishment. Which adds up to eternal conscious torment.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟998,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure it is. Luke 16:19-32 describes the conscious torment of the rich man being punished which he's fully conscious of. In Matthew 25:46 Jesus says eternal punishment. Which adds up to eternal conscious torment.
The phrase "eternal conscious torment" is NOT scriptural it does not occur anywhere in the entire Bible. In discussing scripture I prefer to use only words/terms which actually occur in scripture. "Punishment" is "the infliction or imposition of a penalty as retribution for an offense." "Torment" is "cause to experience severe mental or physical suffering."
When did Abraham say the torment of the rich man in Hades would end?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟615,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The phrase "eternal conscious torment" is NOT scriptural it does not occur anywhere in the entire Bible. In discussing scripture I prefer to use only words/terms which actually occur in scripture. "Punishment" is "the infliction or imposition of a penalty as retribution for an offense." "Torment" is "cause to experience severe mental or physical suffering."
When did Abraham say the torment of the rich man in Hades would end?
The rich man will be in conscious torment in Hades until he's thrown into the Lake of Fire where he will be in fully conscious torment night and day forever and ever.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟998,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The rich man will be in conscious torment in Hades until he's thrown into the Lake of Fire where he will be in fully conscious torment night and day forever and ever.
The part I highlighted in red is not supported by scripture.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟615,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The part I highlighted in red is not supported by scripture.
"Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:15

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟998,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:15
Out-of-context.
Revelation 20:11-15
(11) And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
(12) And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
(13) And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
(14) And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
(15) And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟998,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just my observation. Sorry I can't be more specific without being dragged into your debate and I don't have the answer.
You say that I have scripture contradicting itself but you can't answer how?

Upvote 0

misput

JimD
Sep 5, 2018
Pacific, Mo.
✟153,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You say that I have scripture contradicting itself but you can't answer how?
Sorry, I have been unclear. What I am getting at is a very good case can be made for either side of this subject and I have yet to see anyone harmonize the scripture on it, including me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟998,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, I have been unclear. What I am getting at is a very good case can be made for either side of this subject and I have yet to see anyone harmonize the scripture on it, including me.
I admit that many arguments have been made for both sides but NOT "very good" ones if one reads the scripture and puts aside any assumptions/presuppositions they may have. While the lake of fire [LOF] is called "the second death" twice Rev 20:14, Rev 21:8 Rev. never says anyone/anything is thrown into the LOF, then they/it dies.
Revelation 20:10
(10) And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.​
The "false prophet" was a person he, the devil and the beast are thrown into the LOF but they don't die, they are tormented day and night forever and ever.
Also in the last book, last chapter
Revelation 22:11
(11) He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still....
Revelation 22:15
(15) For without [the new Jerusalem]are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. cf. Rev 21:8​

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟615,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Out-of-context.
Revelation 20:11-15

(11) And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

(12) And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

(13) And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

(14) And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

(15) And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Are you saying the rich man in Luke 16:19-32 will not be among those who are judged and thrown into the lake of fire?

Upvote 0

misput

JimD
Sep 5, 2018
Pacific, Mo.
✟153,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I admit that many arguments have been made for both sides but NOT "very good" ones if one reads the scripture and puts aside any assumptions/presuppositions they may have. While the lake of fire [LOF] is called "the second death" twice Rev 20:14, Rev 21:8 Rev. never says anyone/anything is thrown into the LOF, then they/it dies.
Revelation 20:10

(10) And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
The "false prophet" was a person he, the devil and the beast are thrown into the LOF but they don't die, they are tormented day and night forever and ever.
Also in the last book, last chapter
Revelation 22:11

(11) He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still....

Revelation 22:15

(15) For without [the new Jerusalem]are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. cf. Rev 21:8
I suppose we define "very good" differently.

Upvote 0

misput

JimD
Sep 5, 2018
Pacific, Mo.
✟153,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not if one applies the vss. I posted in my post #476.
If that satisfies your kneed to know, good for u. I just think we are missing something on this subject as well as several others. God has it all figured out, we don"t.

Upvote 0