Why are Christians against marijuana? Health reasons?

Marumorose

Nov 30, 2019
Polokwane
✟37,738.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never saw a ban on ANY drug in the bible......
May God Bless you. Evil spirits can manifest in a form of smoke. Because we are full of sins, it is better not to invite those spirits in our minds and influence us.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,219,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From just personal observation, I don't think Christian objection to marijuana is rooted in any sort of Christian teaching, as much as it's the result of overlap with other ideologies and cultural norms in regions where devout Christianity is prevalent. (IE: "pot smoking is a left-wing hippie thing, therefore, I must oppose it" kind of mentality)

Objectively speaking, there's no reason to oppose it more than alcohol apart from some lung damage from the smokeable form (but there's other forms it can be consumed in)

Some Christians have a staunch objection to alcohol as well, so I guess their objections would at least be consistent.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The following is a list of deaths by substance for 2001 (U.S. Surgeon Generals
Actuarial Information)

Tobacco 360,000
Alcohol 130,000
Prescribed drugs 18,675
Caffeine 5,800
Cocaine 2,390
Heroin 2,147
Marijuana 0

translated into a per user basis =

Alcohol 150 DEATHS /100k users
Heroin 80 DEATHS /100k users
Cocaine 4 DEATHS/100k users
Marijuana 0

People do occasionally die from marijuana. It is called Cannabis Hypermesis Syndrome. It typically occurs among less-than-casual users: people that smoke several times a week or more. High potency THC consumption (as found in modern strains of Marijuana) over time can lead to downregulation of cannabinoid receptors in the brain, which can lead to nausea and gastrointestinal symptoms, which in turn can lead to electrolyte imbalances and death.

Marijuana is a potentially addictive drug, just like alcohol, cocaine, or any other drug. The rate of addiction is similar to alcohol, in fact.

Upvote 0