Why are Christians against marijuana? Health reasons?

sallystrothers

Oct 7, 2005
✟15,991.00
Faith
Christian
Big Rob said:
I don't think every Christian bases all of their opinions on the bible. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Every Christian MUST base their opinion on what the Bible says. If the Bible is not perfectly clear on a certain topic then it is up to each individual to pray about and seek God for what they believe (all people may not arrive at the same answer here).

That being said... The Bible is very clear that we are to follow the laws of the government that is in place above us. Smoking weed is illegal in this country, thus it is a sin.

My pastor was a Zen Buddhist for many years, and in fact led the Monteray Zendo in CA. When he first became a Christian at 28 yrs old he thought it was ok to smoke weed too. One of his friends came over and they both got ripped and he then tried to witness to his friend. All his words were mixed up and he couldn't be an effective witness. This was when my pastor realized weed is a sin, and then flushed pounds of it down his toilet.

Jesus tells us not to be drunk with wine, but be drunk of the Holy Spirit. Drugs is one of those thngs that its SOLE purpose is to get you "drunk". To me that nails it down as a sin.

Upvote 0

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
ZenPhysicist said:
I never saw a ban on ANY drug in the bible......
Oh... oh there is. Some where in exodus, I believe...

Whether it be alcohol, pot, caffine... (I don't eat chocolate, so you can't nail me for that one) if its a drug, you name it, if I haven't already taken steps to take it out of my life, I will ^_^ The body is the holy sanctury, I plan to keep it undefiled as much as possible :D

Not only this, but hey, its illegal.

And theres no benefit, so meh :angel: I'd rather chew and apple.

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Our temples are sacred, so I beleive that abusing anything is contrary to God's plan for us. I would never use marijuana again. Before I was a committed to serving the Lord, I smoked pot and tried drugs (many moons ago).
I do think that marijuana should be allowed to be used for medicinal purposes.

God Bless you all, and fill yourself with His Spirit, that provide true peace!

Upvote 0

ccastellow

Nov 23, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
✟15,399.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The main thing is the law aspect. It is against the law so therefore we are to abstain from breaking the law. I personally see no wrong in it. I used marijuana for many years and did not steal or hurt anyone in my usage of the drug. However, when I came out of my stupor I saw how I used the drug as a means to side step my problems and my mental capacity was heightened quite a bit after getting off the drug. However, I see great uses for this drug and really have a more serious problem with alcohol. Many of my mistakes were contributed to alcohol abuse and many have died due to the effects of this "legal drug".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

johnuk

Dec 6, 2005
✟133.00
Faith
Agnostic
The following is a list of deaths by substance for 2001 (U.S. Surgeon Generals
Actuarial Information)

Tobacco 360,000
Alcohol 130,000
Prescribed drugs 18,675
Caffeine 5,800
Cocaine 2,390
Heroin 2,147
Marijuana 0

translated into a per user basis =

Alcohol 150 DEATHS /100k users
Heroin 80 DEATHS /100k users
Cocaine 4 DEATHS/100k users
Marijuana 0

Upvote 0

sallystrothers

Oct 7, 2005
✟15,991.00
Faith
Christian
johnuk said:
The following is a list of deaths by substance for 2001 (U.S. Surgeon Generals
Actuarial Information)

Tobacco 360,000
Alcohol 130,000
Prescribed drugs 18,675
Caffeine 5,800
Cocaine 2,390
Heroin 2,147
Marijuana 0

translated into a per user basis =

Alcohol 150 DEATHS /100k users
Heroin 80 DEATHS /100k users
Cocaine 4 DEATHS/100k users
Marijuana 0

thats false and misleading right off the bat. How many guns kill people just randomly with no one there to pull the trigger? That is what you are posting. I bet there are a few cases, but not nearly as many as kill people with another person behind the trigger. You add the trigger element and your weed deaths go up infinitely.

I personally knew 3 people who have died from weed. Doing stupid stuff while high that they never would have done otherwise. R.I.P.

Reactions: Sesame Seed
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

progressivegal

Jan 3, 2005
✟16,438.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Febe said:
As the body is a Temple for the Holy Spirit,
and mariujana destroys the body - of course
it is a sin to use it...

:liturgy:

So that means that it's a sin to have HFCS then too and partially hydrogenated oils? Both are far more damaging to the body, so does that mean drinking pop, juice drinks, and eating pre-packaged snack foods and baked goods along with frozen dinners and candy is sinful? Better tell that to all of the churches that have pop and donuts/cookies afterwards! I don't think that I would call it a sin so much as just not a good idea. [BIBLE][/BIBLE]

Upvote 0

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
progressivegal said:
So that means that it's a sin to have HFCS then too and partially hydrogenated oils? Both are far more damaging to the body, so does that mean drinking pop, juice drinks, and eating pre-packaged snack foods and baked goods along with frozen dinners and candy is sinful? Better tell that to all of the churches that have pop and donuts/cookies afterwards! I don't think that I would call it a sin so much as just not a good idea. Verse not found.
I was thinking this too, and am so far coming to the conclusion, that anything harmful for the body that is not spoken about in the bible is a sin.

Upvote 0

ILoveYeshua

Dec 6, 2005
The Midwest
Visit site
✟927.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 15:10-12
(10) And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:
(11) Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.
(12) Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,210.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I never saw a ban on ANY drug in the bible......

If the Bible tells us to remain sober-minded. Then getting a "high" is a bad thing.

If it can be taken in moderation and NOT cause a "High". Then perhaps, maybe ingesting it as opposed to smoking it, not sure.

It is also a cancer risk if inhaled by smoking. I suppose risking to get cancer is a bad thing. Our body is a temple. We probably won't be giving it respect if we deliberately try to give ourselves cancer.

Upvote 0