Washington
✟20,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who/what HELPED to open the door that first led you to a relationship with God?

For me, it was my old youth pastor. Before him, there was no real youth group in my church. When he came in, he made it better than I could have ever asked for. All the young people in the church started coming because of how fun and amazing the group was (only 15 or so people though.) So, before we had a youth group.. I could have, for the most part, cared less about God. Unfortunately.. he got fired :( I still don't know why exactly.. something about not being able to settle a dispute with another member, or something like that. Soon after, most all of the other youth people left my church...

I don't know if i'd be a christian today if it hadn't been for him.

EDIT: Yes, I know that HE didn't make me a christian, but he made the enviroment so much easier to become one.

What about you?

Last edited:

Kixa

:Possession of God:
Jan 8, 2010
New Jersey
✟9,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd have to say my parents. My Dad always read to me from the Bible when I was little; they encouraged me to continue to read the Bible and go to Church.

Of course, when I was 10 or 11, I questioned if Christianity was real. I wondered if God was really there.
Then I went through some really tough struggles in my life, but still I continued to search for God. He (over time) has healed me and made me stronger. He helped me in ways that nothing else could ever do. I know, for a fact, that God is real. He is the all powerful maker of everything, and is my God and savior.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2010
✟15,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This may sound very very strange, but it's what I have interpreted from the events I am going to tell you about.

I was brought up as a christian, and have stayed one, but a while ago I stopped thinking about God and just kinda stopped caring. I still prayed, but more out of habit, I'm ashamed now to say. I had this pet bird, who I had for 2 years, and whenever I whistled, he would chirp back, no matter where I was whistling from in the house. He would also bob his head up and down if I did so first. You have no idea how closely bonded you can get to an animal that responds so happily to things you do. The last few weeks of its (I say "its" because we were never sure what gender it was) it couls barely move, and couldn't chirp, and just laid down in the corner. One night I prayed that God would put it out of its misery, because it was clearly in constant pain at that point. The next morning, it was dead. I believe this was God's way of saying "I'm still here." The Lord works in mysterious ways, right?

Upvote 0

5.M.1.L.3.Z

Nov 24, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
✟7,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So many people together brought me to Christ. One of my friends invited me to youth group when I was 13, but I felt very uncomfortable there at first. I'm not quite sure what drove me to start going again a year later, but I went every week for another 3 years. Within these 3 years, lots of people influenced me. My youth leader, his wife, my friends who were coming to Christ one by one, my friend who went to bible college when I was 16.. Almost everyone around me. All throughout those years though, I completely denied Christ. I did not ~want~ to believe in God. I'm stubborn like that :p

I wasn't sure what drove me to make the decision to accept Christ into my life, though now I know He was working in me and through me the entire time. One day I just let everything go and let Him in, and I'm proud to say so :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RipleyCountyChristian

The guy Chuck Norris tries to live up to :)
Nov 25, 2007
Oklahoma City, USA
Visit site
✟20,237.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Christ brought me to Him through my best friend who I am now rooming with at Bible college. My parents have been a big influence as well, but as i have grown in Him, i have influenced them as well.

Upvote 0

thowra

Apr 21, 2010
✟15,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My parents Christened me and I was always a Christian, but I really connected when a tree branch hit my friend in the head when he was being sacrilegious, yet missed me completely as I was silent and irritated by what he was doing.
haha made me laugh!

I love that GOD has helped so any people through their friends, i hope i can help my friends the same way :)

I vehemently denied GOD and said horrible things about Jesus especially, things i'll regret forever. BUT I went through a hideously hard time with depression for about 3 years and it really ground down my stupid denial until ~eventually~ I just picked up a bible and i prayed, i learnt what i had to do; i had to do accept and let GOD help me, so i could stop being an idiot and do His will :) and i've been at peace ever since. GOD has never let me down, and I will love Him and Jesus, with all that I am, forever.

:3

Upvote 0

Delilah01

Jan 25, 2012
✟15,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My family is very anti-religion (except for my grandparents) and so I never really knew much about Christianity when I was younger but I always remember secretly believing in Jesus ever since I was in second grade.
There are a few experiences that really depended my faith such as when one of my guinea pigs who was about to die from cancer immediately recovered (right after I asked god to save him), when my dog who was dyeing suddenly improved for a few days (right after I asked god to give him a little more time), and when my grandfathers cancer stopped spreading right after he went down south on a religious retreat.

Upvote 0

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For me, it was a combination of people, and events where God Himself was influencing.

Ever since I can remember, things have happened to me where, if not by God's grace and interference, I wouldn't be alive. He even occasionally hints to me things that will happen before they do, in dreams or visions. I guess you could say it's like the "gift of prophecy," and the interp comes after it happens, accompanied by a feeling of big time déjà vu. Such as the time where I, along with my dad, were saved from a fatal car crash while the car got damaged (you can PM me if you want specific details, it's a long story).
Also, a couple years ago, a friend of mine invited me to his youth group at his church, and even though I was hesitant, and I had planned to go for my own reasons, God used my being there to finally bring me to a relationship with Him that will last forever. In the end, it seems as though He actually brought me to Christ. I have a hard time with predestination and election as many people explain it, but in the way I understand it (from the Bible), my case is a classic.

Basically what brought me to Christ was His grace and patience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Smashleigh17

Mar 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
✟15,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I was Baptised a Catholic when I was a baby and attended Scripture at school but I never paid it attention and more associated myself with Agnosticism.

I found the Lord after I watched a movie called Devil where the last standing character was saved from the Devil after repenting his sins. At the stage that I watched the movie, I was in such a bad place - I was almost drowning in my own regret and sorrow so the idea of repentance intrigued me enough that I was drawn to look into it. Then I started asking questions of one of my best friends who I knew to be a strong Christian.

After that it all just kind of clicked into place and seemed really, really obvious. I could feel the Lord with me, even after just a few weeks. I believe I was tested and that's when it really reaffirmed my faith. I have never felt better. Yes, I am still struggling hard with the consequences of my sinful past but knowing that Christ is there with me the whole way makes me feel so much better. Even when the darkness is threatening mecan I feel the presence of light.

Upvote 0

lMrSandmanl

Apr 9, 2012
✟15,117.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I grew up in church and had always called myself a Christian, but hadn't really acted as one. Later in my teen years I started going astray from God and had a mini episode of depression. Back in 2011 I had experiences of the Devil holding me down in my sleep, but shouting the name of Jesus set me free from the bondage. Last new years I fully gave my life to Christ and since then life has been awesome. Praise the Lord!

Upvote 0

lostsheep321

Jun 6, 2012
✟15,114.00
Faith
Anglican
I think a lot of different things brought me to Christianity. I have been brought up in a Christian family, and believed I was fully Christian. Really, I think I knew the facts, I can quote parts of the bible, I knew many parables, but I wasn't really Christian. I took going to a teen christian camp to realize this, and to make me more Christian. There were 11 year olds there with so much faith, and they weren't afraid to stand out so they could show it. This made me realize that I wasn't really Christian, but that I wanted to have that sort of relationship with God. I still don't think I'm properly Christian, but because of that experience, I'm a lot closer than before.

Upvote 0

LiikeMike

Bold as a Lion! Gentle as The Lamb!
Apr 14, 2012
New York
✟15,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Throughout my entire life I felt as if God was keeping me away or protecting me from certain things, yet I would always ask "Why God!" (I wasn't saved at the time but I believed God was real) and then a little big incident occurred where pretty much I had a vision that scared me to death. I couldn't sleep for weeks, I was terrified and I hit up one of my closest friends whom was saved and well they helped me out and now I love love love God haha :)

Upvote 0