undisclosed Bunker
✟293,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious ---- who is you spirit? is there a different you that is your spirit?

Thoughts come from the heart, Christ said. It was out of the abundance of the mouth that the heart speaks. Therefore, the heart of the man (the core nature, I think, not the physical beating muscle) is the problem.

A more interesting question is: is there a difference between how your spirit presents itself to others and how it really is. Or even, how it views itself, and how it really is.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟82,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thoughts come from the heart, Christ said. It was out of the abundance of the mouth that the heart speaks. Therefore, the heart of the man (the core nature, I think, not the physical beating muscle) is the problem.

A more interesting question is: is there a difference between how your spirit presents itself to others and how it really is. Or even, how it views itself, and how it really is.

But WHAT is the spirit? Would it be our core nature or something else?

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟67,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious ---- who is you spirit? is there a different you that is your spirit?
I am of three parts - spirit - soul - body as First Thessalonians 5:23 reveals.

"And the God of peace Himself sanctify you wholly, and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Thess. 5:23 RcV)

My human spirit can unite with the Holy Spirit and commune with God and Christ.
It was regenerated.
MY human soul can then be transformed to conform my personality to that of Jesus. It is being transformed.
My human body will one day be transfigured and glorified.

Here is a simple song a Christian sister wrote on First Thess. 5:23.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟67,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The human spirit of man is the innermost part of our being.
It is very important and ranks among the heavens and the earth in importants to the Creator.

"The burden of the word of Jehovah concerning Israel. Thus declares Jehovah, who stretches forth the heavens and lays the foundation of the earth and forms the spirit of man within him." (Zech. 12:1)

In creation God created the heavens for the earth and earth for man and man with a human spirit in order to contact and commune with God. The universe is for the earth. The earth is for man. And man has a human spirit within him that man could be for God - receiving, communing, touching, and even containing God's Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟67,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The spirit of man is the lamp of the Lord enlightening all his other inward parts to ourselves and to God.
This, I believe is the meaning of Proverbs 20:27.

"The spirit of man is the lamp of Jehovah, Searching all the innermost parts of the inner being." (Prov. 20:27 RcV)

The human spirit which is comatose and deadened before we are born again, is also said to be the breath of Jehovah that gives us understanding - though it is a deeper than the human mind. (Job 32:8)

"But there is a spirit in man, And the breath of the Almighty gives them understanding." (Job 32:8 RcV).

Excuse me if my replies are not all sequenced in order.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟67,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These two passages are important in the Old Testament to seeing the function of the human spirit.
The revelation of the human spirit and the human soul, I think, is progressive. It becomes the most clear in the New Testament where we see that the two may be divided asunder by the word of God which is sharper than a two-edged ssord.

"For the word of God is living and operative and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit." (Heb. 4:12)

I recently wrote a song on this passage. Singing it will help to memorize this verse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟67,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To just have a doctrinal awareness of the spirit of man is not useful or practical.
The believers who receives the Lord Jesus into them will have her or his human spirit enlivened and made alive from its damaged and comatose state.

But immediately, the Christian should go on to learn to discern the spirit and exercise the spirit.
The human spirit is JOINED to the Holy Spirit in regeneration. And that makes the two spirits one.
The Holy Spirit dwells with my spirit. My spirit is blended and united with the Holy Spirit.

"He who is joined to the Lord is one spirit." (1 Cor. 6:17)

But this being JOINED to the Spirit in your human spirit is not JUST for the initial re-birth. It is a truth that one should stand upon and have faith in for the entire daily Christian life.

IE. "Lord Jesus. Thankyou I am JOINED to You in my spirit. Lord Jesus I am one spirit with You Lord. Lord strengthen me into the inner man through faith. Strengthened, Lord, my living from my united spirit with Your Holy Spirit. Thankyou Lord Jesus."

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟67,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Petros2015, this isn't all on you. Why doesn't someone tell me the biblical answer? Adam became mortal. Was he always mortal?
Adam, the first man, was created with a human spirit that was normal.
I believe he was mortal to the point that he had no reason to die EXCEPT if he ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and became united with "him who has the might of death." (Hebrews 2:14)

Adam was neutral - between God and God's enemy, in a station ready to choose one or the other. Adam was however created "very good". Though He was neutral between God and the opposition of God, he was not evil but a very good creation out of the hand of God.

ADam was neutral between "the tree of life" representing taking in of God's life AND "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" representing man joining himself to Satan, God's enemy.
(Genesis 2:9,16-17,Gen. 3:1-7; 11, 22-24)

Adam had nothing divine about him. But He was very good.
We who have received Jesus Christ have something divine as part of our being.
Our spirit is not only restored, resurrected, made alive from its damage and camatose state because of the fall of man, but it is "joined to the Lord".

"He who is joined to the Lord is one spirit." (1 Cor. 6:17)
Part of our being, we may well say, is God.
Or we may say part of our being is "one spirit" in union, blending, a joining with God.

Because we are joined to the Lord Jesus as "one spirit" the Holy Spirit bears witness WITH our human spirit confirming that we have an "organic" or "family" relationship with God as our Father.

"The Spirit Himself witnesses with our spirit that we are the children of God." (Romans 8:16)

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟67,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These two passages are important in the Old Testament to seeing the function of the human spirit.
The revelation of the human spirit and the human soul, I think, is progressive. It becomes the most clear in the New Testament where we see that the two may be divided asunder by the word of God which is sharper than a two-edged ssord.

"For the word of God is living and operative and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit." (Heb. 4:12)
We can learn to discern and even divide our soul from our spirit. But it is a life long matter, It starts by learning to TASTE the living Lord within us. Reading the word, Reading it aloud. Reading it not allowed but prayerfully, are good initial ways to "TASTE" the living Lord Jesus who is "one spirit" with our spirit.

"Just taste and see that the Lord is good." (Psalm 34:8)

Learning the Lord is with our spirit is a matter of a "tasting" His sweet presence in an enjoyable way, He is GOOD!

This is the beginning, I believe, of learning to discern our spirit from our soul.

We should long for the pure milk of the word of God as a nourishing milk. The living word taken in prayerfully and mixed with faith nourishes and strengthens us into our spirit. Being strengthened into that realm we can grow unto salvation - meaning transformation.

"As newborn babes, long for the guileless milk of the word in order tht you may grow unto salvation, If you have tasted that the Lord is good." (1 Pet. 2:2,3)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟67,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thoughts come from the heart, Christ said. It was out of the abundance of the mouth that the heart speaks.

AS you pointed out, Jesus was not talking about the physical heart but the psychological and spiritial heart.

This heart in the Bible is comprised of four parts. Three parts are in the SOUL of man. And the fourth part is located in the SPIRIT of man. And this is only a brief word on this.

The heart is the mind, the emotion, the will, and the conscience.
The mind by which we think, the emotion by which we like or dislike, and the will by which we choose.
Every thing you do involves the thinking mind, the liking or dislikeing emotion, and the deciding and choosing will.

The other part of the human [non-physical] heart resides in the spirit of man. That is the conscience.
Even the unregenerated man whose spirit is comatose AT LEAST has a conscience in his spirit informing him of the goodness or the badness of what he does.

Therefore, the heart of the man (the core nature, I think, not the physical beating muscle) is the problem.

Yes, the salvation of the Lord Jesus can give us a new heart. He can renew our heart.
He can conform our heart to be like His own heart, which is a perfect human heart.

As young Christians, our touch with our new spirit is weak. But it is real. And we need to ask the Lord to strengthened us INTO that realm. And being stengthened INTO that realm of our regenerated spirit our HEART is then invaded more and more with the Lord Jesus. By faith, He makes His home in our hearts as we are strengthened more and more into the "inner man." This is seen in Ephesians 3:16-17.

"That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit into the inner man, That Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith."

Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Revelation chapter 4, God created man and woman in the flesh to love Him and worship only God. Let me ask you questions. What kind of substance ?? Theirs teachers of God's word who know better, and what this applies to. Psalm 17:3. Thou has proved mine heart; Thou has visited me in the night; Thou has tried me, and shailt find nothing; I am purposed that my mouth shall not trangress. 139:15. My substance was not hid from Thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Everyone must be born one time in the flesh. Is it selfishness or those who love, and serve God??. Lip service won't cut it. Proverbs 10:3. The Lord will not suffer the soul of the righteous to FAMISH ; But He casts away the Substance of the wicked. Those who obey, and serve God. Those who refuse to repent and turn their backs on God. Do we see the distinction. What do the wicked amount too. For substance you need moisture. Get the picture. A sod house roof needs moisture, or the roof peals away at strong winds. What value is that person's substance? Any spirtual growth? Is it dead works?. Your spiritual condition is important to God. Think about it.

Upvote 0