Examples of spiritual blindness and the cure. In my opinion.

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These are examples of spiritual blindness. (Matthew 6:22, Psalms 115, and proverbs 23)

Both Isaiah chapter 58 and the apostles teach us to put away lust for wealth and all division, contention, slander and gossip, and to instead help each other. Ezekiel 34 has a similar message. God rebukes us.

These wrong things are dirty feet that defile our holy ground. We need shoes of peace in God's armor and clean feet. Our divisive words of discontent, complaints, fears, worries, slander, judging, suspicions, conspiracies, and gossip defile us. They blind us in my opinion.

Isaiah 58 and 55 show us the right way. We put away all political and religious division and contention and we stop loving money. We put on gentleness, meekness of wisdom, love, faith, hope, compassion, mercy and we strengthen the weak.

Matthew 6:22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy,[c] your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy,[d] your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?

Psalm 115:1 Not to us, Lord, not to us
but to your name be the glory,
because of your love and faithfulness.

2 Why do the nations say,
“Where is their God?”
3 Our God is in heaven;
he does whatever pleases him.
4 But their idols are silver and gold,
made by human hands.
5 They have mouths, but cannot speak,
eyes, but cannot see.
6 They have ears, but cannot hear,
noses, but cannot smell.
7 They have hands, but cannot feel,
feet, but cannot walk,
nor can they utter a sound with their throats.
8 Those who make them will be like them,
and so will all who trust in them.

Proverbs 23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich;
do not trust your own cleverness.
5 Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings
and fly off to the sky like an eagle.

23 Buy the truth and do not sell it—
wisdom, instruction and insight as well.

29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
Who has strife? Who has complaints?
Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes?

30 Those who linger over wine,
who go to sample bowls of mixed wine.
31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
when it sparkles in the cup,
when it goes down smoothly!
32 In the end it bites like a snake
and poisons like a viper.
33 Your eyes will see strange sights,
and your mind will imagine confusing things.
34 You will be like one sleeping on the high seas,
lying on top of the rigging.
35 “They hit me,” you will say, “but I’m not hurt!
They beat me, but I don’t feel it!
When will I wake up
so I can find another drink?”

Ezekiel 34:4 You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured. You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost. You have ruled them harshly and brutally.

17 “‘As for you, my flock, this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will judge between one sheep and another, and between rams and goats. 18 Is it not enough for you to feed on the good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? Is it not enough for you to drink clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with your feet? 19 Must my flock feed on what you have trampled and drink what you have muddied with your feet?

20 “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says to them: See, I myself will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep. 21 Because you shove with flank and shoulder, butting all the weak sheep with your horns until you have driven them away, 22 I will save my flock, and they will no longer be plundered. I will judge between one sheep and another. 23 I will place over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he will tend them; he will tend them and be their shepherd. 24 I the Lord will be their God, and my servant David will be prince among them. I the Lord have spoken.

Isaiah 58: Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat!

Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.

2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and you will delight in the richest of fare.

3 Give ear and come to me; listen, that you may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David.

4 See, I have made him a witness to the peoples, a ruler and commander of the peoples.

Isaiah 58:3 Why have we fasted,’ they say,
‘and you have not seen it?
Why have we humbled ourselves,
and you have not noticed?’

“Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please
and exploit all your workers.
4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife,
and in striking each other with wicked fists.
You cannot fast as you do today
and expect your voice to be heard on high.
5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
only a day for people to humble themselves?
Is it only for bowing one’s head like a reed
and for lying in sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
a day acceptable to the Lord?

6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness[a] will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
9 Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.
11 The Lord will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.

Reactions: jacks

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟177,664.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here is Christ explaining what it means to be spiritually blind.

Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
Mat 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
Mat 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Mat 13:13
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
Mat 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
Mat 13:16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.
Mat 13:17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

Most Christians don't like this passage, but there it is from Christ's own mouth. It is not given to the many, to see the truth of scripture.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
Mat 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
Mat 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
Mat 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
Mat 13:16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.
Mat 13:17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

Most Christians don't like this passage, but there it is from Christ's own mouth. It is not given to the many, to see the truth of scripture.
Thanks

Reactions: martymonster
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟834,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You end with: Mat 13:17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.
Paul had a thorn in the flesh, because it helped keep him humble and his self-control was not at the time great enough to handle a total lack of restrain. Knowledge has a problem (it tends to puff the person up [pride kicks in]), so if I understand something you cannot comprehend, can I take pride in that fact?
Hopefully you can mature and experience enough to handle the understanding of what has been given you in a parable.
Prior to the Kingdom coming people could not understand these Kingdom parables, but they were easy to remember and share with friends and family, so tons of information unwittingly was being passed on to others about the Kingdom, that can easily be understood after the person is in the Kingdom itself.
It is not that God is forever "hiding" the truth from them, but they have to experience the Kingdom to understand information about the Kingdom.

Reactions: martymonster
Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You end with: Mat 13:17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.
Paul had a thorn in the flesh, because it helped keep him humble and his self-control was not at the time great enough to handle a total lack of restrain. Knowledge has a problem (it tends to puff the person up [pride kicks in]), so if I understand something you cannot comprehend, can I take pride in that fact?
Hopefully you can mature and experience enough to handle the understanding of what has been given you in a parable.
Prior to the Kingdom coming people could not understand these Kingdom parables, but they were easy to remember and share with friends and family, so tons of information unwittingly was being passed on to others about the Kingdom, that can easily be understood after the person is in the Kingdom itself.
It is not that God is forever "hiding" the truth from them, but they have to experience the Kingdom to understand information about the Kingdom.
Scripture says that God blinds people for not being faithful

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟177,664.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Joh 9:1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
Joh 9:2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
Joh 9:3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Joh 9:1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
Joh 9:2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
Joh 9:3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.
But people dont want healed because they don't know they're blind or what blinds them

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟177,664.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just to be clear... being spiritually blind means you interpret scripture as being literal. Scripture is made up of symbols, they are not literal, they are a parable. Being blind you cannot understand scripture, because you cannot interpret the symbols... in fact, you are not even aware there are any.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟834,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God is not to blame for their lack of faith, for it is their own lack of faith which blinds them. Yes they cannot understand the Kingdom parables, but their faith allows them to enter the Kingdom and once in the Kingdom you can understand the parables, because you are experiencing what Jesus talked about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is not to blame for their lack of faith, for it is their own lack of faith which blinds them. Yes they cannot understand the Kingdom parables, but their faith allows them to enter the Kingdom and once in the Kingdom you can understand the parables, because you are experiencing what Jesus talked about.
God is not to blame but he blinded them as scripture says

1 Corinthians 1:19 For it is written:
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The lack of faith is in not obeying him. They love money and it blinds them. They love debate and politics and it blinds them

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟834,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God is not to blame but he blinded them as scripture says

1 Corinthians 1:19 For it is written:
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”

John 9:39 Jesus said, “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.”
40 Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, “What? Are we blind too?”
41 Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.

The same message which gives sight to some will blind others the same as the same message can harden some people's hearts and soften others. It all depends on how a person has prepared their hearts at the time.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟834,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The lack of faith is in not obeying him. They love money and it blinds them. They love debate and politics and it blinds them
There are different types of "love", but there is only the one Godly type Love we all start out lacking in. If you "Love" Him you will obey Him, but you first and foremost have to have the ability to Love. Faith allows you to obtain Godly type Love through the acceptance of God's Love in the form of humbly accepting God undeserved forgiveness.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are different types of "love", but there is only the one Godly type Love we all start out lacking in. If you "Love" Him you will obey Him, but you first and foremost have to have the ability to Love. Faith allows you to obtain Godly type Love through the acceptance of God's Love in the form of humbly accepting God undeserved forgiveness.
There is only one kind of love. You either love God or evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟834,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why? Just asking
We have to first humbly accept God's Love as pure undeserved charity, than we will automatically obtain Godly type Love, Luke 7: He that is forgiven much, Loves much. That love will compel us to Love others. If we do not have Godly type Love, we cannot be totally unselfish in our Love.

Upvote 0