What was Jesus’ purpose if sins were forgiven before His Incarnation?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That scripture says the Gospel is hid to them that are Lost. So did Christ die for them ?
God gives someone faith. A person with faith is no longer lost. A person without faith is lost. Without faith it is impossible to please him. Are you objecting to God's ability to give his spirit/regeneration to sinners?

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God gives someone faith. A person with faith is no longer lost. A person without faith is lost. Without faith it is impossible to please him. Are you objecting to God's ability to give his spirit/regeneration to sinners?
Obviously God didn't give them faith since scripture says they are lost and the gospel is being hid from them 2 Cor 4:3

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

The word hid is in the perfect tense, denoting a finished completed act ! The Gospel is hid from them once and for all, so they are permanently lost

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That scripture says the Gospel is hid to them that are Lost. So did Christ die for them ?

We are looking back through a different philosophical lens than the people who initially heard the gospel. As socialized by the Western philosophical system we have been raised in, when we first head the gospel, we already wore a philosophical lens with a presumption that "righteousness" must be a universally applied equity in all things.

Their viewpoint, as they first heard the gospel was that righteousness was one nationality or class of people being favored above all others, and for those not in that favored group of people...well, it sucks to be them.

The "novelty" of the Gospel to them was that Christ died for anyone, that is to say, Christ builds His own nation from people out of any and all nations and classifications, which is different from saying Christ died for "everyone."

It may help to understand Romans 1 and 2 Corinthians 4 by looking back at 2 Chronicles 18 (or the synoptic 1 Kings 22). In that passage, we have King Jehosophat who is interested in knowing the word of God, but King Ahab who states up front that he does not want to know the word of God. Rather than hearing from the Michiah, the prophet of God, Ahab prefers to hear from pagan prophets.

Because Ahab does not want to hear the truth, God arranges for Ahab not to hear the truth. Ahab wants to be deceived, so God gives Ahab the deception that Ahab wants.

That is the mechanism for what happens in Romans 1 to those who deny that truth of the existence and essential virtue of God that He makes visible in creation itself. Creation is the prophet of God to everyone:

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky proclaims the work of His hands.
Day after day they pour out speech; night after night they communicate knowledge.

There are people who heed creation's prophesy, and there are people who resolve themselves to reject creation's prophesy. God treats those who resolve themselves to reject creation's prophesy as He treated Ahab. They want to be deceived, so He gives them the deception that they want.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are looking back through a different philosophical lens than the people who initially heard the gospel. As socialized by the Western philosophical system we have been raised in, when we first head the gospel, we already wore a philosophical lens with a presumption that "righteousness" must be a universally applied equity in all things.

Their viewpoint, as they first heard the gospel was that righteousness was one nationality or class of people being favored above all others, and for those not in that favored group of people...well, it sucks to be them.

The "novelty" of the Gospel to them was that Christ died for anyone, that is to say, Christ builds His own nation from people out of any and all nations and classifications, which is different from saying Christ died for "everyone."

It may help to understand Romans 1 and 2 Corinthians 4 by looking back at 2 Chronicles 18 (or the synoptic 1 Kings 22). In that passage, we have King Jehosophat who is interested in knowing the word of God, but King Ahab who states up front that he does not want to know the word of God. Rather than hearing from the Michiah, the prophet of God, Ahab prefers to hear from pagan prophets.

Because Ahab does not want to hear the truth, God arranges for Ahab not to hear the truth. Ahab wants to be deceived, so God gives Ahab the deception that Ahab wants.

That is the mechanism for what happens in Romans 1 to those who deny that truth of the existence and essential virtue of God that He makes visible in creation itself. Creation is the prophet of God to everyone:

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky proclaims the work of His hands.
Day after day they pour out speech; night after night they communicate knowledge.

There are people who heed creation's prophesy, and there are people who resolve themselves to reject creation's prophesy. God treats those who resolve themselves to reject creation's prophesy as He treated Ahab. They want to be deceived, so He gives them the deception that they want.
You said all that and said nothing. Some are lost according to 2 Cor 4:3 did Christ die for them? Yes or no?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Obviously God didn't give them faith since scripture says they are lost and the gospel is being hid from them 2 Cor 4:3

The word hid is in the perfect tense, denoting a finished completed act ! The Gospel is hid from them once and for all, so they are permanently lost
All have sinned. ALL! Are all saved?

Romans 8:9
You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did Christ save everyone on earth?
No, How so when Its plainly stated some are lost 2 Cor 4:3

Are you insinuating the lost here are saved ?

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All have sinned. ALL! Are all saved?

Romans 8:9
You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No, How so when Its plainly stated some are lost 2 Cor 4:3

Are you insinuating the lost here are saved ?
The gospel cannot be understood when we are lost. That is why God said we must be born again.

We need the indwelling Spirit!

1 Corinthians 2:14
The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

We weren't born spiritually when our mothers gave birth to us. When a mother's water breaks, amniotic fluid is released and the natural birth occurs.

John 3
4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 8The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The gospel cannot be understood when we are lost. That is why God said we must be born again.

We need the indwelling Spirit!

1 Corinthians 2:14
The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

We weren't born spiritually when our mothers gave birth to us. When a mother's water breaks, amniotic fluid is released and the natural birth occurs.

John 3
4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 8The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
Those in 2 Cor 4:3 are lost and the Gospel is hid from them, permanently. Those who God is saving the Gospel isnt hid from them, it reveals' to them the Righteousness of God, to them its the power of God Rom 1:16-17

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Two sets of people hear the Gospel for different purposes, its by the purpose of God a savor of life unto life for them being saved, and a savor of death unto death to them lost or perishing 2 Cor 2:14-16

14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.

15 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:

16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?

In them that perish is them Paul refers to in 2 Cor 4:3

See the word lost here is the same word for perish in 2 Cor 2:15

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Title says it all. Also, just to start off, I am a believer but I always have questions like these pop up in my head when I read the OT. I was reading the Psalms tonight and the Sons of Korah and David both talk about their delight in the Lord for his forgiveness of sins and how He makes those who love Him righteous. If God forgave the sins of those who love Him before sending His Son, and made people righteous, then why did we need Jesus in the first place?
God needs Jesus to manifest the mingling together of divinity and humanity as what God intended by man in the first place.

This is why He is called "the second man" after "the first man Adam." (1 Cor. 15:45-48)
He is God, the Lord from heaven who became a man to be the standard model of what God would mass-produce.
Redemption, forgiveness, and justificatation are all steps needed along the way for God to have this mass-reproduction.

It shows us this in
Romans 8:27-30.

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
Because those whom He foreknew, He also predestinated to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the Firstborn among many brothers; And those whom He predestinated, these He also called; and those whom He called, these He also justified; and those whom He justified, these He also glorified.

Foreknew - - -> Predestinated - - ->Called - - ->Justified - - - >Conformed - - - > Glorified.

be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the Firstborn among many brothers;

Before God created the universe, before there was any problem of sins to be forgiven in the first place
God had a heart's desire to have sons who share His life and nature to express Himself in His great love.

Ephesians 1:4,5 - Even as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world to be holy and without blemish before Him in love,
Predestinating us unto sonship through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something to consider as well is that in God we are discussing an omnipresent being. "Omnipresent" doesn't merely mean that God exists in every point in space simultaneously, it also means that He exists in every moment of time simultaneously.

So "God's plan" is not merely something that will happen in "the future." That's our limited viewpoint. But in the omnipresent mind of God, His plan is already accomplished. For Moses, the sacrifices looked to the future. In the mind of God, He was already observing Christ on the cross.
I liked this. Lately I have had a feeling about eternal life.
That is when we enter into the full New Jerusalem and eternal life it will be like awaking from a strange dream.

I mean as if we have been dreaming and we always were together with God.

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,988.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Title says it all. Also, just to start off, I am a believer but I always have questions like these pop up in my head when I read the OT. I was reading the Psalms tonight and the Sons of Korah and David both talk about their delight in the Lord for his forgiveness of sins and how He makes those who love Him righteous. If God forgave the sins of those who love Him before sending His Son, and made people righteous, then why did we need Jesus in the first place?

If "all" have sinned, then how can God judge anyone? "All" suggests that God screwed up when he made us.

How does one solve this nasty little problem?

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If "all" have sinned, then how can God judge anyone? "All" suggests that God screwed up when he made us.

Read the whole chapter before asking the question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Rom 5:12, 14, 16, 20 NASB95 - 12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned ... 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. ... 16 The gift is not like [that which came] through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgment [arose] from one [transgression] resulting in condemnation, but on the other hand the free gift [arose] from many transgressions resulting in justification. 20 The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,​

Consider:
Premise 1: by one man, sin entered the world and death through sin
Premise 2: death was passed and death reigns - therefore death (not sin) is the transmissible component of the fall
Premise 3: God's free gift of righteousness is NOT like the judgement in that, Adam's judgement involved a universal corporate judgement for a single transgression. For that one sin, Adam, Eve, their offspring, the animals, the plants, the ground, the whole of creation was cursed with death (for dust you are and to dust you will return) resulting in a universal judgement for the one, single sin.
Premise 4: the free gift of righteousness covers many transgressions, not the single transgression
Premise 5: to abolish the death judgement of Adam (the transmissible component of his fall from glory), would need only to forgive or vacate the judgement of a single transgression, not many transgressions.
Premise 6: abolishing Adam's death judgement would result in a universal resurrection of anyone who died under that judgement
Premise 7: the purpose of the law was to make sin applicable on an individual level, thereby increasing the number of transgressions

Conclusion: Adam's sin resulted in in a universal death judgement. That universal death judgement will be abolished resulting in a universal resurrection. After the universal resurrection, there will be an individual judgement, and it is the individual judgement where the righteousness of Christ applies to the individual. Those who do not have faith in Christ will be resurrected to a resurrection of judgement and a second death.
So when it says "all have sinned" we can think of this as an individual application of the Law of Moses and guilt in contrast to original sin which was a corporate, universal judgement.

Because the righteousness God is giving them has to come from somewhere. Someone (Christ) earned that righteousness. Then, He gave up that righteousness in exchange for our sin. Then He died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sin. That way, Christ's righteousness (not just anyone's righteousness) could be distributed to the faithful. For a guilty person to be pardoned, an innocent person had to be condemned. That distribution crosses time in both directions.
2Co 5:21 NASB95 - 21 He made Him who knew no sin [to be] sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.​
Gal 3:13 NASB95 - 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE"​

Reactions: oikonomia
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟130,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus' sacrifice was necessary for a number of reasons, but to understand it we must first understand what was breached. The first of these is God's truth, as the pronouncement that sin leads to death was staked in the word of God and so must be enforced. Jesus provided a way for that word to be satisfied while the sinner is not destroyed. The second is the integrity of the law itself is breached by sin, and for the sake of the law there must be retribution. Again, Jesus' death provides the retributive sacrifice necessary for the law's integrity to be maintained without destroying the sinner. So while God could forgive sin before Jesus' death, it is only through Jesus' death that sin can be rectified.

Reactions: oikonomia
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rom 5:12, 14, 16, 20 NASB95 - 12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned ... 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. ... 16 The gift is not like [that which came] through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgment [arose] from one [transgression] resulting in condemnation, but on the other hand the free gift [arose] from many transgressions resulting in justification. 20 The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,​

Consider:
Premise 1: by one man, sin entered the world and death through sin
Premise 2: death was passed and death reigns - therefore death (not sin) is the transmissible component of the fall
What would you say about many were "constituted sinners" through Adam's sin?

Romans 5;19 - For just as through the disobedience of one man the many were constituted sinners, so also through the obedience of the One the many will be constituted righteous. (RcV)
Premise 3: God's free gift of righteousness is NOT like the judgement in that, Adam's judgement involved a universal corporate judgement for a single transgression. For that one sin, Adam, Eve, their offspring, the animals, the plants, the ground, the whole of creation was cursed with death (for dust you are and to dust you will return) resulting in a universal judgement for the one, single sin.
Do you believe that plants die in order for them to have been eaten by the first man and women?
In giving Adam herbs and plant to eat before his sin, were those plants kind of seperated from living in order to be eaten?

And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb that produces seed that is on the surface of all the earth and every tree which has fruit that produces seed; they shall be for you as food. And to every animal of the earth and to every bird of heaven and to everything that creeps upon the earth, in which is a living soul, I have given every green herb for food; and it was so. (Gen. 1;29,30).

Premise 4: the free gift of righteousness covers many transgressions, not the single transgression
Premise 5: to abolish the death judgement of Adam (the transmissible component of his fall from glory), would need only to forgive or vacate the judgement of a single transgression, not many transgressions.
Premise 6: abolishing Adam's death judgement would result in a universal resurrection of anyone who died under that judgement
Premise 7: the purpose of the law was to make sin applicable on an individual level, thereby increasing the number of transgressions
I thought this was very thoughtful and required my re-reading and contemplation.
I enjoyed it.

At present I have taken this verse to mean that the Law came in to make the SIN NATURE known to man (and not just individual transgressions).

For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not charged to one’s account when there is no law. (Rom. 5:13)

Lately, this has stuck me as God not counting man to know he has a NATURE of sin.
But I need more fellowship. God knew within Himself from the Flood that man had a SIN Nature.

Genesis 8:21 - And Jehovah smelled the satisfying fragrance; and Jehovah said in His heart, I will never again curse the ground on account of man, for the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; nor will I ever again smite everything living as I have done.

I think the Law entered to make starkly obvious to man that his nature was one of sin.

Conclusion: Adam's sin resulted in in a universal death judgement. That universal death judgement will be abolished resulting in a universal resurrection.
I am cautious not to give "universal resurrection" as a parellel to "universal judgment" to go beyond man.
Insects, bacteria, even all vermin and animals of every type I do not see in a universal resurrection.

And the death Paul speaks of must focus on the death of MAN.
It is difficult for me to imagine God intended all ants to live forever.

Though I DO notice the restoration involves peace among previously carnivorous animals and their prey.
Ie. the lamb and the lion peacefully together and the wolf and its former prey all vegetation eaters.

I wonder about no death of ANY kind to other creatures until Adam sinned.
I brought out that pitch was used to cover the ark of Noah.

Make yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make rooms in the ark and shall cover it within and without with pitch. (Gen. 6;14)

Now that is a pertoleum product in slime pits we are told is indication of long dead organic matter.
It was in the ground already for Noah to use on the ark.
No death anywhere in the world before Adam?

After the universal resurrection, there will be an individual judgement, and it is the individual judgement where the righteousness of Christ applies to the individual. Those who do not have faith in Christ will be resurrected to a resurrection of judgement and a second death.
So when it says "all have sinned" we can think of this as an individual application of the Law of Moses and guilt in contrast to original sin which was a corporate, universal judgement.

Because the righteousness God is giving them has to come from somewhere. Someone (Christ) earned that righteousness. Then, He gave up that righteousness in exchange for our sin. Then He died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sin. That way, Christ's righteousness (not just anyone's righteousness) could be distributed to the faithful. For a guilty person to be pardoned, an innocent person had to be condemned. That distribution crosses time in both directions.
2Co 5:21 NASB95 - 21 He made Him who knew no sin [to be] sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.​
Gal 3:13 NASB95 - 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE"​
It has been out, and I found it helpful, that Christ's righteousness is for Himself.
And what we have is Christ Himself as our righteousness.

This may be splitting heavenly hairs.
But I found it helpful that it is Christ Himself who is our righteousness.
We who believe have been made the righteousness of God in Him.

Second Corinthains 5:21 - Him who did not know sin He made sin on our behalf that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

And again He has been made righteousness to us; both righteousness and sanctification and redemption.

But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became wisdom to us from God: both righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
That as it is written, “He who boasts, let him boast in the Lord.” (1 Cor. 1:30,31)

A glorious salvation we have in Him.
I will continue to muse on your exposition of Romans 5.

I put Scripture to song. Enjoy a singable version of Romans 5:9,10.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What would you say about many were "constituted sinners" through Adam's sin?

Romans 5;19 - For just as through the disobedience of one man the many were constituted sinners, so also through the obedience of the One the many will be constituted righteous. (RcV)
I look at this as the same as "imputed." We are "imputed" righteous through Christ and in Adam, many (who had not sinned according to God's command not to eat from the fruit of the tree) were imputed as sinners. When the law came, it demonstrated that was just and applied sin individually, not just corporately.

Rom 5:13-14 NASB95 - 13 for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.​

Do you believe that plants die in order for them to have been eaten by the first man and women?
In giving Adam herbs and plant to eat before his sin, were those plants kind of seperated from living in order to be eaten?
No. Humans and animals have "the breath of life" and blood (the life is in the blood). The Hebrew term is Nephesh Chaya or "soulish life." The soul is the mind, will, and emotions. Animals have this, but plants do not. Plants are biological machines with no soul. Since plants don't have "life" as the Bible defines it, they cannot "die" as the Bible defines it.
I think the Law entered to make starkly obvious to man that his nature was one of sin.
That could certainly be one of the purposes of The Law. It makes a lot of sense. When it comes to the sin nature, I view death as the cause of the sin nature. Hebrews says:

Heb 2:14-16 NASB95 - 14 Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives. 16 For assuredly He does not give help to angels, but He gives help to the descendant of Abraham.

Jhn 8:31-34 NASB95 - 31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, [then] you are truly disciples of Mine; 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." 33 They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, 'You will become free'?" 34 Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin.​

So it is our fear of death which enslaves us to sin and the sin nature. So in a very real sense, Adam's sin (and subsequent death judgement) was the cause of the sin nature. John gives us some more info:
1Jo 4:18 NASB95 - 18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.​

I am cautious not to give "universal resurrection" as a parellel to "universal judgment" to go beyond man.
Insects, bacteria, even all vermin and animals of every type I do not see in a universal resurrection
I can't really say for sure. I think there will be a universal resurrection because the cause of the resurrection is not "individual" because the judgement was universal. It says:
2Ti 1:10 NASB95 - 10 but now has been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,​

By his appearing, not by his atonement, death, or resurrection, Jesus has ABOLISHED death (Adam's death judgement). To be abolished doesn't mean "changed" or "amended" but rather "repealed." It disappears. This makes sense because until Jesus, there were no innocent persons... but when Jesus appeared you finally had one righteous person and the universal judgement was no longer JUST. So it has to be repealed and in place of the corporate judgement, individual judgements must occur.
But I found it helpful that it is Christ Himself who is our righteousness.
We who believe have been made the righteousness of God in Him.
I agree. All we need is a distribution system to distribute the righteousness of one man to many. That is what the Abrahamic covenant is. It is the distribution system for Christ's righteousness.
Gal 3:6-9 NASB95 - 6 Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS. 7 Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham. 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying,] "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU." 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer.​
Rom 4:9-13, 16-18 NASB95 - 9 Is this blessing then on the circumcised, or on the uncircumcised also? For we say, "FAITH WAS CREDITED TO ABRAHAM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS." 10 How then was it credited? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised; 11 and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them, 12 and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also follow in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham which he had while uncircumcised. 13 For the promise to Abraham or to his descendants that he would be heir of the world was not through the Law, but through the righteousness of faith. ... 16 For this reason [it is] by faith, in order that [it may be] in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, 17 (as it is written, "A FATHER OF MANY NATIONS HAVE I MADE YOU") in the presence of Him whom he believed, [even] God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist. 18 In hope against hope he believed, so that he might become a father of many nations according to that which had been spoken, "SO SHALL YOUR SEED BE."​

God preached the gospel of Jesus Christ to Abraham. When Abraham believed, God credited him AND HIS DESCENDANTS (SEED) with righteousness. That promise to give righteousness to the unborn descendants of Abraham was grace (unmerited favor) because they hadn't been born yet and had done nothing to earn righteousness. When we have the same faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ, we qualify as his descendants and heirs according to God's promise to make he and his descendants righteous.
Gal 3:26, 29 NASB95 - 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. ... 29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.​

So Jesus' righteousness went to Abraham, and then all of Abraham's qualified descendants inherit the righteousness of Christ through God's covenant promise through inheritance.
Gal 3:14-18 NASB95 - 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. 15 Brethren, I speak in terms of human relations: even though it is [only] a man's covenant, yet when it has been ratified, no one sets it aside or adds conditions to it. 16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as [referring] to many, but [rather] to one, "AND TO YOUR SEED," that is, Christ. 17 What I am saying is this: the Law, which came four hundred and thirty years later, does not invalidate a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to nullify the promise. 18 For if the inheritance is based on law, it is no longer based on a promise; but God has granted it to Abraham by means of a promise.​
Eph 1:13-14 NASB95 - 13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of [God's own] possession, to the praise of His glory.​

Notice the inheritance of the Holy Spirit (circumcision of the heart) in Eph 1:13-14 is the SEAL of the righteousness of faith, just like in (see above) Rom 4:11 circumcision of the flesh was the SEAL of the righteousness of faith.

This Abrahamic covenant was the distribution system for Christ's righteousness, and it stood dormant for 2,000 years until Christ came and provided His righteousness into the covenant.

Upvote 0