What are your thoughts on a Tik Tok ban?

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟8,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I was really appreciating Fox News' commentary about Tik tok and how dangerous it is to the US

But then I saw an ad on Fox for Tik Tok!

Wow! I don't get that at all. The Chinese are spying on us through that venue, gathering info. We all have to remember that China is our enemy and they are NOT Christian (though some of their everyday people are)

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was really appreciating Fox News' commentary about Tik tok and how dangerous it is to the US

Wow! I don't get that at all. The Chinese are spying on us through that venue, gathering info. We all have to remember that China is our enemy and they are NOT Christian (though some of their everyday people are)
I'm not in favor of the Chinese being able to use it in advantage over us.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The US desire to lay claim to the company has nothing to do with spying. They want the revenue. It's on pace to surpass Facebook and has a built in appeal for youths. A win/win from their perspective.

I'm not denying the Chinese practice of cognitive warfare. That's what it is. But we're working on the same as well. Look up the term.

~bella

• Agree
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟8,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
They gather info from everyone's phone. Why would any sane person want a foreign country, even one that is not communist, to know what that person or his family is going through or talking about or whatever? It almost seems like we've become "harlots" and no longer care who gets our info... I mean, it's like we just let any old thing into our heads... or give it to just any old yahoo...

• Agree
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The same reasons people fill their homes with smart devices and give little consideration to what's being shared. They like what they like. And in my opinion this is more concerning. But most aren't aware of it.

Scanning your iris to access the Internet? That's a problem.

When you go online all they know is someone from that address accessed the Internet. It could be you or someone else in the household. But the orb solves that dilemma. They'll know everything you do because it's tied to your retina.

IMG_9871.jpeg

~bella

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟139,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Man, this question, "What are your thoughts on a TikTok ban?" is a two part issue. Also, let us try not to understand the rationale of Fox, saying how TikTok is dangerous, then backtracking by having an advert featuring TikTok. The people that run Fox have no idea how to run a news company, forgive me for saying that. I am glad that I stay away from social media, except CF.

Part 1: The ban
As a man who is wary of China's influence and potential security threats to the US, I believe that a TikTok ban could be an appropriate measure to protect our national security. TikTok is a Chinese-owned social media platform, and there have been concerns that the app may be collecting user data and sharing it with the Chinese government. While TikTok has denied these allegations, the potential risks cannot be ignored.

A ban on TikTok would prevent American users from accessing the app and potentially reduce the amount of user data that could be collected by Chinese entities. It is important for our government to take a proactive approach to safeguard our national security, especially when it comes to technologies and platforms that have ties to foreign governments with questionable human rights records and a history of intellectual property theft and cyber espionage.

However, a ban should not be implemented without careful consideration and alternative solutions. A complete ban may limit free speech and hinder American businesses that use the platform for marketing and advertising. It is crucial to explore other options, such as encouraging TikTok to sell its US operations to an American company or implementing strict data privacy regulations for the app.

Ultimately, a balanced approach is necessary to ensure both national security and individual rights. A TikTok ban could be a viable option, but it should be part of a larger strategy that includes diplomatic pressure on China, increased cybersecurity measures, and collaboration with our allies to address the challenges posed by Chinese technology companies.

Part 2: Bypassing the ban
If a TikTok ban were to be implemented, some Americans may attempt to bypass it using Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) or other means. However, this would not be a sustainable solution for several reasons.

Firstly, a ban would make it illegal for American companies to provide access to TikTok within the US, meaning that even if individuals were able to bypass the ban using a VPN, they would still be breaking the law. This could lead to legal consequences and potential penalties.

Secondly, a ban would put pressure on internet service providers (ISPs) and social media platforms to block access to TikTok within the US. While it may be technically challenging for ISPs to completely block all access to TikTok, they could implement measures that significantly limit or slow down the app's functionality, making it difficult for users to bypass the ban effectively using a VPN.

Lastly, a TikTok ban would not only impact individual users but could also have broader implications for American businesses that rely on the app for marketing and advertising. A significant number of businesses may not be willing to risk legal consequences or damage to their reputation by continuing to use TikTok despite a ban, making it less viable for them to rely on VPNs as a workaround.

In conclusion, while some Americans may attempt to bypass a TikTok ban using VPNs or other means, it is unlikely to be a sustainable solution for individuals or businesses. The ban would put pressure on ISPs and social media platforms to limit access to the app, and it could lead to legal consequences for those who continue to use it despite the ban. Therefore, a balanced approach that considers diplomatic pressure on China, increased cybersecurity measures, and collaboration with allies is a more effective solution to address the challenges posed by Chinese technology companies.

• Informative
Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟8,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not in favor of the Chinese being able to use it in advantage over us.
They use anything they can against us.

I think it is natural for humans to believe that others are like themselves. We are a more/less decent nation (uh... used to be?) so we tend to think others are like us also. NOT TRUE at all. Communism is one ugly and scary thing

Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟8,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
What kind of useful user data can the Chinese access through Tik Tok? :scratch:

I reckon I feel the same way about the Chinese spying on us as I feel about the U.S. CIA spying on them.
or on us?

It is true that the US govt spies on us

:mad:

Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟8,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Man, this question, "What are your thoughts on a TikTok ban?" is a two part issue. Also, let us try not to understand the rationale of Fox, saying how TikTok is dangerous, then backtracking by having an advert featuring TikTok. The people that run Fox have no idea how to run a news company, forgive me for saying that. I am glad that I stay away from social media, except CF.

Part 1: The ban
As a man who is wary of China's influence and potential security threats to the US, I believe that a TikTok ban could be an appropriate measure to protect our national security. TikTok is a Chinese-owned social media platform, and there have been concerns that the app may be collecting user data and sharing it with the Chinese government. While TikTok has denied these allegations, the potential risks cannot be ignored.

A ban on TikTok would prevent American users from accessing the app and potentially reduce the amount of user data that could be collected by Chinese entities. It is important for our government to take a proactive approach to safeguard our national security, especially when it comes to technologies and platforms that have ties to foreign governments with questionable human rights records and a history of intellectual property theft and cyber espionage.

However, a ban should not be implemented without careful consideration and alternative solutions. A complete ban may limit free speech and hinder American businesses that use the platform for marketing and advertising. It is crucial to explore other options, such as encouraging TikTok to sell its US operations to an American company or implementing strict data privacy regulations for the app.

Ultimately, a balanced approach is necessary to ensure both national security and individual rights. A TikTok ban could be a viable option, but it should be part of a larger strategy that includes diplomatic pressure on China, increased cybersecurity measures, and collaboration with our allies to address the challenges posed by Chinese technology companies.

Part 2: Bypassing the ban
If a TikTok ban were to be implemented, some Americans may attempt to bypass it using Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) or other means. However, this would not be a sustainable solution for several reasons.

Firstly, a ban would make it illegal for American companies to provide access to TikTok within the US, meaning that even if individuals were able to bypass the ban using a VPN, they would still be breaking the law. This could lead to legal consequences and potential penalties.

Secondly, a ban would put pressure on internet service providers (ISPs) and social media platforms to block access to TikTok within the US. While it may be technically challenging for ISPs to completely block all access to TikTok, they could implement measures that significantly limit or slow down the app's functionality, making it difficult for users to bypass the ban effectively using a VPN.

Lastly, a TikTok ban would not only impact individual users but could also have broader implications for American businesses that rely on the app for marketing and advertising. A significant number of businesses may not be willing to risk legal consequences or damage to their reputation by continuing to use TikTok despite a ban, making it less viable for them to rely on VPNs as a workaround.

In conclusion, while some Americans may attempt to bypass a TikTok ban using VPNs or other means, it is unlikely to be a sustainable solution for individuals or businesses. The ban would put pressure on ISPs and social media platforms to limit access to the app, and it could lead to legal consequences for those who continue to use it despite the ban. Therefore, a balanced approach that considers diplomatic pressure on China, increased cybersecurity measures, and collaboration with allies is a more effective solution to address the challenges posed by Chinese technology companies.
wow. It sounds like you've studied this issue in depth. Me? I am not up on all the latest technology, so I only got the gist of some parts of this. Thanks for all this information. I should copy it and read it over again for clarity. Sometimes I speed read too rapidly because I am perpetually in a hurry!

I've hear of VPNs but don't know how they work and etc...

I will say this: When it is considered whether some law or ban should be enacted or not, the fact that people are going to break the law

should usually not be one of the considerations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟139,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
wow. It sounds like you've studied this issue in depth. Me? I am not up on all the latest technology, so I only got the gist of some parts of this. Thanks for all this information. I should copy it and read it over again for clarity. Sometimes I speed read too rapidly because I am perpetually in a hurry!

I've hear of VPNs but don't know how they work and etc...

I will say this: When it is considered whether some law or ban should be enacted or not, the fact that people are going to break the law

should usually not be one of the considerations.
I follow technology trends, cos tech is fascinating, even though I do not use TikTok. What I said is that people will break the law, if a ban is enacted. But, we should try to ban TikTok. It is toxic to our culture, as people spend all day on it. A VPN basically spoofs your location, allowing you to access websites or app servers that are blocked in your country. For instance, if you are inside the USA, but want to watch a soccer/football game online that is broadcast in Australia, you can set your VPN location to Australia.

Here is an AP News article that explained a hypothetical TikTok ban, and it mentions VPNs as well: Bill that could ban TikTok passed in the House. Here's what to know

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
If we're going to ban anything it should be explicit content. It's done more damage to marriages, unmarried persons, underaged persons, people in the church and our moral fiber.

Only a wicked society would ban TikTok and keep OnlyF*ns.

~bella

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟139,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we're going to ban anything it should be explicit content. It's done more damage to marriages, unmarried persons, underaged persons, people in the church and our moral fiber.

Only a wicked society would ban TikTok and keep OnlyF*ns.

~bella
Agreed. That nasty stuff needs to be banned. In an ideal world, explicit content sites would have been banned as soon as the internet was invented. The only time people should ever see explicit stuff, is if the person is studying to become a doctor and has to get familiarized with the symptoms of gonorrhea or other diseases.

Here are the reasons why a ban on explicit websites might benefit society more than a ban on TikTok:

1. Protecting children: Explicit websites contain content that is inappropriate for minors, including s*x and violent material. A ban on such sites would help protect children from being exposed to harmful and potentially damaging content. TikTok, while having its own share of inappropriate content, is generally considered more age-restricted, as it requires users to be at least 13 years old.

2. Reducing harm to mental health: Explicit websites can have detrimental effects on individuals, particularly young people, leading to addiction, negative body image issues, and other mental health concerns. A ban on these sites could help reduce the harm caused by such content. TikTok, while a source of entertainment and creativity for many users, has also been linked to negative mental health effects, including increased anxiety, depression, and sleep disturbances. However, the extent of these negative impacts may not be as severe or widespread as those caused by explicit websites.

3. Privacy concerns: Explicit websites often contain malicious content and are known to collect personal information without consent, posing significant privacy risks. A ban on these sites would help mitigate the potential for privacy breaches and identity theft. TikTok, while having its own set of privacy concerns, has taken steps to address these issues, such as improving data handling practices and offering more transparency around user data.

4. Focus on content regulation: A ban on explicit websites would allow regulatory bodies to focus their efforts on effectively monitoring and regulating the content of these sites, which is often a more significant challenge than with apps like TikTok. While TikTok also faces issues related to content regulation, the platform has a more centralized and manageable structure compared to the vast array of explicit websites on the internet.

5. Long-term impact: A ban on explicit websites would have a more lasting impact, as these sites are often created and maintained anonymously and can quickly resurface under new domain names or URLs. TikTok, on the other hand, is a well-established platform with a clear identity and structure, making it easier for regulatory bodies to address any issues as they arise.

Finally, while both a ban on explicit websites and a ban on TikTok have their merits and challenges, a ban on explicit websites would benefit society more by addressing issues related to child protection, mental health concerns, privacy risks, content regulation, and long-term impact. TikTok, while facing its own set of challenges, is generally considered less harmful in comparison to explicit websites due to its age restrictions and more manageable structure.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟388,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Well it is estimated 33,000 undocumented Chinese immigrants crossed the border between last year and this year. And that is just number that were men who appeared to be military age.
The Chinese own somewhere around 300,000 acres of our farmland.

We get most of are pharmaceuticals and electronics from them also.

With all that said we also use a ton of software from there.

With all that so what about TikTok

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Agreed. That nasty stuff needs to be banned. In an ideal world, explicit content sites would have been banned as soon as the internet was invented. The only time people should ever see explicit stuff, is if the person is studying to become a doctor and has to get familiarized with the symptoms of gonorrhea or other diseases.

I was online during the early days. Things appeared in browsers and heaven help you if you got a virus. You may have to close your eyes. But in spite of that we weren't enamored. You had to go to specific places to have those conversations. It wasn't discussed openly.

Here are the reasons why a ban on explicit websites might benefit society more than a ban on TikTok:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Christians aren't saying the same because they're watching it too and it's rubbing off. Now they're sanctioning open relationships and other perversions because they're tainted. That has far reaching consequences beyond the subject.

As for social media, the damage is done and I posted on the subject earlier. TikTok is the result of diminished attention spans. Most people don't read at all. The dumbing down continues.

From Washington Post...

Of 1,500 Americans surveyed, a less-than-ideal 46 percent finished zero books last year and 5 percent read just one. So, if you read more than two books in 2023, congratulations! You’re in the top half of U.S. adults.

Reading five books put you in the top 33 percent, while reading 10 books put you in the top 21 percent. Those of us who read more than 50 books are the true one-percenters: people who read more books than 99 percent of their fellow Americans.

IMG_9873.png

~bella

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟8,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
The same reasons people fill their homes with smart devices and give little consideration to what's being shared. They like what they like. And in my opinion this is more concerning. But most aren't aware of it.

Scanning your iris to access the Internet? That's a problem.

When you go online all they know is someone from that address accessed the Internet. It could be you or someone else in the household. But the orb solves that dilemma. They'll know everything you do because it's tied to your retina.

View attachment 345132

~bella
massively

CREEPY

What is wrong with people? Do they prefer looking cool (having this creepy thing) over having privacy? I've had nosey neighbors in the past and I can't even deal w/ that. Maybe I'm odd, but no, everyone needs privacy...

Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟8,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
The legislation in question is FAR more invasive and sweeping than just banning tik-tok. TT is absolute poison, and the app itself is spyware, but DC doesn't need more power over people's apps and data.
They do if it is a security threat and it definitely IS.

Why does China want to collect data on Americans? Just for kicks? I don't think so

Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟8,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I was online during the early days. Things appeared in browsers and heaven help you if you got a virus. You may have to close your eyes. But in spite of that we weren't enamored. You had to go to specific places to have those conversations. It wasn't discussed openly.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Christians aren't saying the same because they're watching it too and it's rubbing off. Now they're sanctioning open relationships and other perversions because they're tainted. That has far reaching consequences beyond the subject.

As for social media, the damage is done and I posted on the subject earlier. TikTok is the result of diminished attention spans. Most people don't read at all. The dumbing down continues.

From Washington Post...

Of 1,500 Americans surveyed, a less-than-ideal 46 percent finished zero books last year and 5 percent read just one. So, if you read more than two books in 2023, congratulations! You’re in the top half of U.S. adults.

Reading five books put you in the top 33 percent, while reading 10 books put you in the top 21 percent. Those of us who read more than 50 books are the true one-percenters: people who read more books than 99 percent of their fellow Americans.

View attachment 345237

~bella
What about those of us who WOULD read 10 books or more but can't afford them? I know.. Go to the library. I often read the newspaper at the library but a lot of the time these days, there aren't conservative books to read.. not many. I guess I could check it out again, though. Then when u do check out a conservative book, liberal librarians (which is maybe 90% of them? I don't know) look @ you like you just kicked a kitten

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟139,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

From Washington Post...

View attachment 345237

~bella
I saw that data about books. Not many Americans read books sadly. :(

Upvote 0