We all know about Luther. But did you know that there were Protestants who came before...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,765,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...Protestants?

The Protestant Reformation is usually attributed to figures like Martin Luther and John Calvin. But they had to get their inspiration from somewhere.

We all know about the Protestant Reformation. But did you know that there were Protestants who came before the Protestants?

The proto-Protestants were heretics in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries whose teachings and actions laid the groundwork for Martin Luther, John Calvin, and other sixteenth-century Reformers. They advocated the later bedrock Protestant principle of sola scriptura, or the belief that the only authoritative source of God’s divine revelation is Sacred Scripture. These proto-Protestants also called for the reform of Church abuses and advanced various heretical opinions in an effort to undermine the Church. The two main proto-Protestants were John Wycliffe (1324-1384) and Jan Hus (1369-1415).

John Wycliffe was born in Yorkshire, England and studied at Oxford, where he was recognized as a brilliant student. He became a professor of philosophy and theology at his alma mater. Wycliffe was a pure academic—an intellectual man who did not motivate or lead. He provided the ideas and let others perform the actions.

At Oxford, Wycliffe advocated several heretical teachings in lectures and books. In terms of fundamental Catholic doctrines, he attacked the eucharistic doctrine of transubstantiation. In his book On the Eucharist, he denied the occurrence of transubstantiation and advocated that, instead, the bread and wine remain present after the prayer of consecration. He opined that the real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist is not a real flesh-and-blood presence, but is symbolic. Wycliffe also condemned the veneration of the saints, indulgences, and prayers for the dead.

Continued below.
The Protestants Who Came Before the Protestants

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟149,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...Protestants?

The Protestant Reformation is usually attributed to figures like Martin Luther and John Calvin. But they had to get their inspiration from somewhere.

We all know about the Protestant Reformation. But did you know that there were Protestants who came before the Protestants?

The proto-Protestants were heretics in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries whose teachings and actions laid the groundwork for Martin Luther, John Calvin, and other sixteenth-century Reformers. They advocated the later bedrock Protestant principle of sola scriptura, or the belief that the only authoritative source of God’s divine revelation is Sacred Scripture. These proto-Protestants also called for the reform of Church abuses and advanced various heretical opinions in an effort to undermine the Church. The two main proto-Protestants were John Wycliffe (1324-1384) and Jan Hus (1369-1415).

John Wycliffe was born in Yorkshire, England and studied at Oxford, where he was recognized as a brilliant student. He became a professor of philosophy and theology at his alma mater. Wycliffe was a pure academic—an intellectual man who did not motivate or lead. He provided the ideas and let others perform the actions.

At Oxford, Wycliffe advocated several heretical teachings in lectures and books. In terms of fundamental Catholic doctrines, he attacked the eucharistic doctrine of transubstantiation. In his book On the Eucharist, he denied the occurrence of transubstantiation and advocated that, instead, the bread and wine remain present after the prayer of consecration. He opined that the real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist is not a real flesh-and-blood presence, but is symbolic. Wycliffe also condemned the veneration of the saints, indulgences, and prayers for the dead.

Continued below.
The Protestants Who Came Before the Protestants
Then I'm probably a heretic because I agree with Wycliffe on those points. Hopefully I won't be imprisoned, strangled and burned like he was.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟478,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
St Paul complained of heretics... St John, too.
Let the tares grow with the wheat and sort them at harvest. Which is a great many for a great many of reasons.

In todays world we have invincible ignorance because time.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Then I'm probably a heretic because I agree with Wycliffe on those points. Hopefully I won't be imprisoned, strangled and burned like he was.
We now call our Protestant brothers and sisters "separated brethren" rather than heretics. So, no, you aren't a heretic.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟149,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We now call our Protestant brothers and sisters "separated brethren" rather than heretics. So, no, you aren't a heretic.
Thanks. I consider Catholics my brothers and sisters

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,257,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well, perhaps a heretic. We don't really know for sure. But being born Protestant does not in itself make anybody a heretic.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟149,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, perhaps a heretic. We don't really know for sure. But being born Protestant does not in itself make anybody a heretic.
I've noticed we agree on many things from your posts. I will just focus on those.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,257,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I've noticed we agree on many things from your posts. I will just focus on those.
That’s good. Perhaps we can agree on all the rest in good time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,981.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In all reality, all baptized Christians who broke with the Church for one theological matter or another could have the label of ‘Protestant’. Being a heretic by definition is protesting against a teaching of the Faith.

But for the non-Catholic Christian on this thread, for one to be a heretic from the Catholic view, you must first be Catholic and then reject the Catholic faith. Albeit you don’t have to be Catholic first to hold heretical views. There is a difference.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟154,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm obviously on the Catholic side of things but I can't pretend the change was for anything other than optics, a better public reputation, and modern law. 500ad to 1000ad and 1000ad to 1500ad didn't change nearly as drastically as things have since. If we still lived in that type of world and society I have no doubt the Church would be indistinguishable from Islam in the Middle East as far as violence against heretics and sinners, as it once was.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm obviously on the Catholic side of things but I can't pretend the change was for anything other than optics, a better public reputation, and modern law. 500ad to 1000ad and 1000ad to 1500ad didn't change nearly as drastically as things have since. If we still lived in that type of world and society I have no doubt the Church would be indistinguishable from Islam in the Middle East as far as violence against heretics and sinners, as it once was.
ok

Upvote 0