Oct 8, 2008
Victoria
Visit site
✟16,042.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Please don't look to the government to solve your problems. The fact that man's heart is deceitful and desperately wicked indicates that only a change of heart is going to change anything.

God said he hates the shedding of innocent blood. Obama has said on more than one occasion that abortion on demand is the number one issue. I do not believe that anyone can support someone who has pledged to do what God hates.

Reactions: Dogbean
Upvote 0
C

catlover

Please don't look to the government to solve your problems. The fact that man's heart is deceitful and desperately wicked indicates that only a change of heart is going to change anything.

God said he hates the shedding of innocent blood. Obama has said on more than one occasion that abortion on demand is the number one issue. I do not believe that anyone can support someone who has pledged to do what God hates.

Yes-the government should turn it's back on abused women and children...and the far right can pray the problem away...meanwhile all the chauvinists can beat their family even more.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian

Post proof or retract.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
I can't post a news item that was on TV and as I am not into telling lies, you will have to accept what I say. Perhaps you can find the details on one of the myriad of sites that deal with his beliefs?

Sorry, I won't take your word for this one. Find a quotation.

A lot of TV news items can be found on the internet. Or if he really said that, there should be some coverage of it in print. It's a pretty bold statement for me never to have heard it before.

Upvote 0

Dogbean

Matt 7:24-27 - Standing on the Rock
Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
You are most welcome Texas Lynn.
It's abhorrent the far right wants to make it acceptable for children and spouses to be abused...perhaps the right is protecting it's own. to carry on with disgusting behavior..
Maybe that is what they mean by "family values". The "right" and "value" of a man to beat his wife and children.
Has it ever occurred to you that not everyone on the right believes exactly the same thing? While I believe in traditional family values, I would not endorse any kind of abuse! That is unbiblical, and uncalled for. I can believe in other stuff the right believes in without believing in that stuff.

Upvote 0

Dogbean

Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican

Post proof or retract.

I can't post a news item that was on TV and as I am not into telling lies, you will have to accept what I say. Perhaps you can find the details on one of the myriad of sites that deal with his beliefs?

Sorry, I won't take your word for this one. Find a quotation.

A lot of TV news items can be found on the internet. Or if he really said that, there should be some coverage of it in print. It's a pretty bold statement for me never to have heard it before.
I believe this is the article that is being referenced.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You are most welcome Texas Lynn.
It's abhorrent the far right wants to make it acceptable for children and spouses to be abused...perhaps the right is protecting it's own. to carry on with disgusting behavior..
Maybe that is what they mean by "family values". The "right" and "value" of a man to beat his wife and children.

Some of us have had conversations about the role of "pastoral counseling" in cases of spouse abuse and child abuse. In many cases some "pastors" have perceived their role in such matters to cover it up.

When the religious right was new (1978?) they dissed women living in battered women's shelters as "runaway wives" and opposed funding for shelters. They soon learned this was bad PR and became silent on the issue since.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not a particularly credible news source. And still doesn't say abortion on demand is the number one issue.

In the article any allusion to "Obama has said on more than one occasion that abortion on demand is the number one issue" is entirely an editorial comment and/or interpretation of the news story and as you have correctly noted this is not a credible source for "news".

It referred to the Freedom of Choice Act, which is proposed legislation. Obama indicated he would sign it, if it is passed by Congress. Now, it would be a wonderful thing if FOCA was passed early in the session and signed in January but given the dynamics of the legislative process the conclusion FOCA is his "first priority" is at best exageration. Moreover, their comments about the effects of FOCA are at best speculation.

Upvote 0

Dogbean

Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Not a particularly credible news source. And still doesn't say abortion on demand is the number one issue.
I just found what I found, to try to help the person who claimed it. It was really easy to find. And it did say so, in the first paragraph.

Upvote 0
C

catlover

Has it ever occurred to you that not everyone on the right believes exactly the same thing? While I believe in traditional family values, I would not endorse any kind of abuse! That is unbiblical, and uncalled for. I can believe in other stuff the right believes in without believing in that stuff.

Dogbean it's admirable you do not endorse abuse...:thumbsup:

the thing is, do you think it's possible that the very structure of traditional marriage may cause violence against women and children?

The idea of the male being the head of the household and a woman being subserviant.

That is extremely cut and dry-but what do you think?

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
the thing is, do you think it's possible that the very structure of traditional marriage may cause violence against women and children?

The idea of the male being the head of the household and a woman being subserviant.

There is more to it than that, but that's a start. In traditionalistic families, independence of girls and young women is explicitly discouraged. Marriage often amounts to the same thing it was in days of youre, that is the transfer of property from one owner, the father, to another, the husband.

The best thing for girls in the late teens and early adulthood years is to get out, get far from their families, and develop their own independence. Marriage is a ticket out but generally the worst one. College and the military are among the best.

Upvote 0

Dogbean

Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Dogbean it's admirable you do not endorse abuse...:thumbsup:
Thank you!
No. Violence comes from anger in the heart, not from God ordained family structure.
That's not exactly what the Bible says. If you read the rest of the passage, you'll see that it's a love and respect system that goes both ways.
I don't think wives are subserviant to their husbands.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
There is more to it than that, but that's a start. In traditionalistic families, independence of girls and young women is explicitly discouraged. Marriage often amounts to the same thing it was in days of youre, that is the transfer of property from one owner, the father, to another, the husband.

The best thing for girls in the late teens and early adulthood years is to get out, get far from their families, and develop their own independence. Marriage is a ticket out but generally the worst one. College and the military are among the best.

This is a classic feminist view that is at odds with God's Word. Folks who believe like this don't think that wives should submit to their Christ submitting husbands. I'm not saying this is your belief Texas Lynn. But this is what it leads a lot of women to think.

They want to be the co-head of household without the submission, but don't understand that submitting to your Christ-submitting husband already makes you co-head of household

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a classic feminist view that is at odds with God's Word. Folks who believe like this don't think that wives should submit to their Christ submitting husbands. I'm not saying this is your belief Texas Lynn. But this is what it leads a lot of women to think.

They want to be the co-head of household without the submission, but don't understand that submitting to your Christ-submitting husband already makes you co-head of household

What better way is there to maintain power and control than to claim it is ordained by God that one submit to illegetimate authority?

No wonder "Religiosity- stern and rigid [religious] practices" is included as a risk factor in assessment tools for spouse abuse risk assessments.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What better way is there to maintain power and control than to claim it is ordained by God that one submit to illegetimate authority?

Guess it is your belief. What illegitimate authority? If God placed the husband as head of the household, what illegitimate authority are you referring to? Ar

No wonder "Religiosity- stern and rigid [religious] practices" is included as a risk factor in assessment tools for spouse abuse risk assessments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
C

catlover

Marriage at a young age, leads to misery in the majority of the cases...

Upvote 0