Albuquerque, NM
✟16,056.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The transition to vegetarianism was easier for me when I first really did it at age 17...I had learned a lot about what happens on factory farms, laboratories, etc., and so my youthful energy became anger and so I acted out of compassion for the animals.

I've lapsed many times. I know it's because I psychologically associate eating with comfort, and so if I'm "depriving" myself of something I think tastes good, it's not going to work. I need to figure out some techniques to equate meat (all of it) with something nauseating. And of course, to remember that compassion and the energy I had when I was younger.

I've heard walnuts have the Omega-3's. Can anyone verify?

Upvote 0

24fanatics

Veteran
Dec 26, 2005
Tennessee
✟2,466.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi all...

I am still a new vegetarian. I started weaning myself off of meat about 3 months ago, and have been officially veggie since the first of September. Right now I am an ovo-vegetarian. I have managed to cut out dairy products, but I am still working on the eggs. I think my ultimate goal is to be vegan. I love this new way of eating, and I feel so much better. Take care.

Upvote 0

veganwitness

Sep 26, 2006
new jersey
✟7,636.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Married
i am a vegan now for about five months. i never really liked meat so the main thing that i gave up was dairy and items with animal products in them. i feel so much better. more energy, i need less sleep and i have lost over 50 pounds. :clap:

Upvote 0

PacificPandeist

PanDeism is the Reason for my Seasons
May 8, 2006
San Mateo
✟27,341.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Libertarian
The transition to vegetarianism was easier for me when I first really did it at age 17...I had learned a lot about what happens on factory farms, laboratories, etc., and so my youthful energy became anger and so I acted out of compassion for the animals.

I've lapsed many times. I know it's because I psychologically associate eating with comfort, and so if I'm "depriving" myself of something I think tastes good, it's not going to work. I need to figure out some techniques to equate meat (all of it) with something nauseating. And of course, to remember that compassion and the energy I had when I was younger.

I've heard walnuts have the Omega-3's. Can anyone verify?
I am so down with your point of view, brother.... I still wouldn't eat meat if it was farm raised instead of factory raised but thinking about those squalid warehouse conditions just makes me ill!!

//// Pacific PanDeist

Upvote 0

Herbivorious

Oct 15, 2006
✟7,644.00
Faith
Lutheran
Hello all, as if my name were not proof enough :p

I am a ovo-lacto vegetarian.

I was vegan for about a year in highschool after learning about soo much that goes on, and it disquisted me, but I lapsed after about a year, due to the fact that they did not have nearly as much stuff as they do now, years ago and I got really sick. But now that I re-tried it, I've had no problems, I think the problem was that I lacked creativity with my meals, and the fact I was living at home, and they are no where near vegetarians, so basically all I ate was salads at their home. I find it much easier now living on my own and actually taking the initiative to play around with my food so to speak.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

izarya

Theurgist Extraordinaire
Sep 14, 2005
Oregon
Visit site
✟2,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've been considering eating a more vegetarian type of diet, but I do admit being afraid of not getting adequate protein. I don't think I want to be a full blown vegatartian, just limit the amount of meat I eat, especially red meat, to a few times a year. I will not however give up Salmon.

Upvote 0

eyeliv4God

Incorporating Christ in My Everyday Life
Sep 12, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.A.
✟10,371.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I just made a pledge to eat a vegetarian diet for 30 days. I'm supposed to be getting a starter kit from PETA in about a month. If I stick with the diet, I'm probably going to go Lacto-Ovo

Upvote 0
I

InTheFlame

I've been considering eating a more vegetarian type of diet, but I do admit being afraid of not getting adequate protein. I don't think I want to be a full blown vegatartian, just limit the amount of meat I eat, especially red meat, to a few times a year. I will not however give up Salmon.
Hey Izarya,

Protein is far less of a worry than people tend to think. There are many excellent vegetarian sources of protein - and practically every food contains at least some. It's really, really hard to eat a varied veg diet and not get enough protein. Even for weightlifters and marathon runners. In fact, the only time I've heard of someone having problems getting enough protein on a veg diet was during a multiple-baby pregnancy. Anyway, here's some info for you - http://www.vegsoc.org/info/protein.html

PS. I think I often come across as pushy when it comes to veg diets. It's not that I'm trying to convert you, I just like to share facts! :)

Upvote 0

izarya

Theurgist Extraordinaire
Sep 14, 2005
Oregon
Visit site
✟2,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hey Izarya,

Protein is far less of a worry than people tend to think. There are many excellent vegetarian sources of protein - and practically every food contains at least some. It's really, really hard to eat a varied veg diet and not get enough protein. Even for weightlifters and marathon runners. In fact, the only time I've heard of someone having problems getting enough protein on a veg diet was during a multiple-baby pregnancy. Anyway, here's some info for you - http://www.vegsoc.org/info/protein.html

PS. I think I often come across as pushy when it comes to veg diets. It's not that I'm trying to convert you, I just like to share facts! :)
Thank you for the information. My concern is that even though that site posted info on the RDI these numbers vary from person to person. I am very active, please don't take this the wrong way or anything but: I am 6' tall, and currently weigh 212 pounds. Of that 10.5% is body fat. In the warmer months, I run 4 miles outdoors 3 days a week, the other 2 days I run on my treadmill (now that it's cold I only use the treadmill about 3 days).
I lift weights 4 days out of the week, and I mountain bike for about 10 miles on the weekends with my teenage and pre-teen children year around. My concern is that if I do not get enough protein to sustain my muscle mass, I'll loose it!
I once has a client that was a vegetarian, she could not put on quality muscle for anything.

Upvote 0
I

InTheFlame

My concern is that if I do not get enough protein to sustain my muscle mass, I'll loose it!
I once has a client that was a vegetarian, she could not put on quality muscle for anything.
Yeah, I can understand that concern! :) Typically legumes - especially chickpeas (garbanzo beans?) - have the highest protein content per gram. Almost as much as meat, without the fat and cholesterol. They also have a fair amount of calcium in them, which MAY (no-one seems to know for sure) assist in the body's digestion and utilisation of protein.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.