✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
InTheFlame said:
Raised vegetarian? That would be interesting. Are you free of that soy fetish that grips many converted veg*ns now and then? :) (sometimes I just NEED to cook soy sausages and mashed potatoes!)

Yeah, Hindu parents will do that to you. But having never had any meat, I suppose I just don't have any desire to start eating it.

Anyway, I wish I could say yes. But actually, I enjoy the fake meat. I have no idea if it tastes like real meat or not (I wouldn't know), but I know that I like it!

Upvote 0

hippiechild

Jun 12, 2006
✟15,206.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I did the veghead thing for about a year and a half, but didn't do it right. My iron got really low and my body was turning purple from all the bruises. But it was really hard for me b/c my family are the "meat and potato" kind of people. So I'm going for it again...ovo-lacto, with as less ovo as I can help! Eggs bother me. And, for anyone wanting to go vege I have a sight that I stumbled upon yesterday that will turn you in a heart beat! I guess the main reasons behind it for me are my love for all of God's creatures, as well as my take on violence...I hate it.

Upvote 0

shainamsu

Nov 14, 2003
st louis mo
✟8,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i'm a vegan. :) my husband is a lacto-vegetarian --- eats dairy, but not eggs. he's really supportive, though, and doesn't eat any dairy at home (mostly b/c i won't buy it!). we have a 6-month old daughter that we're raising vegan as well. while our family and friends don't say anthing antagonistic about our eating choices, they don't really support it, especially since we're raising our kids that way ("don't you understand that kids need meat to be healthy??" *sigh*).

Upvote 0

ShineForever

Jul 3, 2006
New York (NOT "the city")
Visit site
✟15,391.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wooohoo! Vegetarian here. I have been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for apr. 5 years. I have tried to be a vegan twice (lasted a week the first time, and two weeks the second). If I try again, I will need to do more research, lol.
I like the Boca "burgers" and the Smart Dogs. If I was more into cooking, I wouldn't have to rely on them as much.
I'm a bad vegetarian, in that I eat too many carbs (breads and such), but recently I have been wanting more salads.

No one else in my family is a vegetarian, so I'm the odd-ball. Oh well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LienShen

Equal Love for All
Mar 17, 2005
Around the Middle of it All
✟17,573.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I am a vegetarian, and have been for many years.

My family eats meat, and I cook meals with meat for them. My choice is purely my own, and vitamin suppliments are generally not sufficient enough in iron, aminos and omegas for a growing body in my opinion. And a lack of b12 can be a big problem as well. I have to take 3000% more a day just to get the right amount.

I am a buddhist, and out of compassion for animals, I do them no harm. However, I do not make choices for those around me. It us up to them to forge their own path.

Upvote 0

trek4

Aug 31, 2005
Pa
✟15,966.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
VWBuGgIn4JeSuS said:
I'm transitioning over to being vegetarian. :clap: Maybe now I can drop this 30 pound tire around my waist. ;)
Ok..I don't understand the weight loss part of the whole thing. If I ate a lot of pastas etc. I would tend to gain. A woman I used to work with was a vegetarian and she was thin, but very unhealthy..just drank coffee and ate junk food. I don't eat much meat now..just fish and chicken but I would like to stop eating them too. I put on weight easily and would like someone to tell me what a typical day's worth of eating would include just to give me an idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
I

InTheFlame

trek4 said:
Ok..I don't understand the weight loss part of the whole thing. If I ate a lot of pastas etc. I would tend to gain. A woman I used to work with was a vegetarian and she was thin, but very unhealthy..just drank coffee and ate junk food. I don't eat much meat now..just fish and chicken but I would like to stop eating them too. I put on weight easily and would like someone to tell me what a typical day's worth of eating would include just to give me an idea.
A lot of people eat more fruit, vegies and legumes when they transition to veg... which are generally higher in nutrition and lower in fat and cholesterol. So a lot of people lose weight when they turn veg.

Upvote 0

youthwalk

Kimpa Vita
Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
✟47,713.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've always had an issue with chewing meat. I felt like throwing up after swallowing. I was down to little bits of chicken and lamb.I stopped meat totally for 4 years, restarted and now I've decided to stop eating it totally. It's not a spiritual or philosophical choice, it's a psychological thing for me. I just can't stand to chew meat.

Upvote 0
D

DharmaBum

Mostly vegetarian. I still have fish/seafood once in a while...
I avoid all other meats though, mostly for health reasons.

Me too re: the seafood.

I abstain from all other meat products for both health and ethical reasons. I am now getting off the eggs and dairy, which I am not finding too difficult to do.

I find Vegetarian Times magazine a big help.

Upvote 0