The Sabbath is the 'Lords Day', not Sunday.

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟454,515.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
..or the first day (or 'eight day' as some try to call it).

Exodus 20:8-11
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

It is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God, not Moses' sabbath, or the Jews sabbath, or anyone Else's sabbath.

Leviticus 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

We see the same.

Deuteronomy 5:12-13
12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee. 13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: 14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

Again the same.

Exodus 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

It was not 'Moses' sabbath.

Leviticus 19:1-2
1And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 2 Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy. 3 Ye shall fear every man his mother, and his father, and keep my sabbaths: I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:30 Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 26:2 Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Isaiah 56:4-6
4 For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; 5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. 6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;

Ezekiel 20:12-13
12Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them. 13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Ezekiel 20:16 Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted my sabbaths: for their heart went after their idols.

Ezek 20:19-24
19I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them;
20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the LORD your God. 21 Notwithstanding the children rebelled against me: they walked not in my statutes, neither kept my judgments to do them, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; they polluted my sabbaths: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the wilderness. 22 Nevertheless I withdrew mine hand, and wrought for my name's sake, that it should not be polluted in the sight of the heathen, in whose sight I brought them forth. 23 I lifted up mine hand unto them also in the wilderness, that I would scatter them among the heathen, and disperse them through the countries; 24 Because they had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers' idols.

Ezekiel 22:8 Thou hast despised mine holy things, and hast profaned my sabbaths.

Ezekiel 22:26 Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

Ezekiel 23:38 Moreover this they have done unto me: they have defiled my sanctuary in the same day, and have profaned my sabbaths.

The Lord claims the sabbath as His very own. It is a day, therefore it is literally, the Lord's day. This clear so how many times must the Lord call the sabbath His day to understand that there is only one day in the scriptures that would be referred to as the Lord's day? Other than the seventh day sabbath, the Lord's day can also refer to the day on which He will return to this earth. That is all. Sunday, or the first day of the week is never referred to as the Lord's day in the scriptures.

This title was only applied to Sunday later on, to cover their deception. It was applied by those who began the apostasy and abomination which was the result of the amalgamation of apostate Christianity and pagan sun worship.

Reactions: Icyspark

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟75,312.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You need to distinguish between the Sabbath day as 'day of the LORD (Hebrew: YHWH)' as it is described so many times in the OT / TNK and 'the day of the Lord (Greek: Kyrios)' as it is used in NT / Greek times.

The latter refers to the day of resurrection and is on a Sunday; the first one indeed is the traditional Sabbath day on the Saturday.

AFAIK the Early Church referred to the resurrection day traditionally with the phrase 'the day of the Lord (Kyrios)' knowing quite well that this was different from the Jewish Sabbath day.

Reactions: zelosravioli
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
..or the first day (or 'eight day' as some try to call it).

Exodus 20:8-11
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

It is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God, not Moses' sabbath, or the Jews sabbath, or anyone Else's sabbath.

Leviticus 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

We see the same.

Deuteronomy 5:12-13
12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee. 13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: 14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

Again the same.

Exodus 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

It was not 'Moses' sabbath.

Leviticus 19:1-2
1And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 2 Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy. 3 Ye shall fear every man his mother, and his father, and keep my sabbaths: I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:30 Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 26:2 Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Isaiah 56:4-6
4 For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; 5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. 6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;

Ezekiel 20:12-13
12Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them. 13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Ezekiel 20:16 Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted my sabbaths: for their heart went after their idols.

Ezek 20:19-24
19I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them;
20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the LORD your God. 21 Notwithstanding the children rebelled against me: they walked not in my statutes, neither kept my judgments to do them, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; they polluted my sabbaths: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the wilderness. 22 Nevertheless I withdrew mine hand, and wrought for my name's sake, that it should not be polluted in the sight of the heathen, in whose sight I brought them forth. 23 I lifted up mine hand unto them also in the wilderness, that I would scatter them among the heathen, and disperse them through the countries; 24 Because they had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers' idols.

Ezekiel 22:8 Thou hast despised mine holy things, and hast profaned my sabbaths.

Ezekiel 22:26 Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

Ezekiel 23:38 Moreover this they have done unto me: they have defiled my sanctuary in the same day, and have profaned my sabbaths.

The Lord claims the sabbath as His very own. It is a day, therefore it is literally, the Lord's day. This clear so how many times must the Lord call the sabbath His day to understand that there is only one day in the scriptures that would be referred to as the Lord's day? Other than the seventh day sabbath, the Lord's day can also refer to the day on which He will return to this earth. That is all. Sunday, or the first day of the week is never referred to as the Lord's day in the scriptures.

This title was only applied to Sunday later on, to cover their deception. It was applied by those who began the apostasy and abomination which was the result of the amalgamation of apostate Christianity and pagan sun worship.
So where did everyone go wrong?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You need to distinguish between the Sabbath day as 'day of the LORD (Hebrew: YHWH)' as it is described so many times in the OT / TNK and 'the day of the Lord (Greek: Kyrios)' as it is used in NT / Greek times.

The latter refers to the day of resurrection and is on a Sunday; the first one indeed is the traditional Sabbath day on the Saturday.

AFAIK the Early Church referred to the resurrection day traditionally with the phrase 'the day of the Lord (Kyrios)' knowing quite well that this was different from the Jewish Sabbath day.
Who was it that scripture records first mentioning the phrase? John, a Jew and a disciple of Jesus, so he would have been referring to Jesus' statement that He was the Lord of the Sabbath.

Matthew 12: 1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat.
2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

As one of Jesus' closest disciples he was there when Jesus said it.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟454,515.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So where did everyone go wrong?
Notice..."Some have assumed that the Lord’s day is the New Testament equivalent of the Sabbath. "What is the Lord’s day? | GotQuestions.org. Then they go on to what is an outright lie..."Sunday was the day that Jesus Christ rose from the dead, an act that forever separated Christianity from any other religion", as scripture is clear the Sabbath continued as we see that Paul kept the Sabbath.

"And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures." Acts 17:2. "Paul and his company ... went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down." Acts 13:13, 14. "And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither." Acts 16:13. "And he [Paul] reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks." Acts 18:4.

Reactions: zelosravioli
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The purpose of the Sabbath was man's rest, the violation of which was punishable by death (Ex 31:14-15, Lev 23:3, Dt 5:14).

Jesus is our NT Sabbath in whom we rest from all our works to save, and in his work which saves (Heb 4:9).

The Sabbath rest was made holy because it prefigured our Sabbath rest in Christ.

Hebrews is about exhorting those new Hebrew Christians, who were considering abandoning Christ and returning to Judaism, to "enter in" (Heb 3:18, 4:1, 3, 5, 6) to the Sabbath rest provided by Christ (Heb 4:10-11), and pleading with them not to harden their hearts against Jesus, as their fathers hardened their hearts against the Lord in the wilderness.
God denied that generation access to Canaan rest (Josh 1:13, Ex 33:14, Dt 2:9-10, 25:19), saying, "They shall never enter into my rest." (Heb 3:11). In the same way, the writer to these Hebrews begs his readers not to make the same mistake by rejecting God's Sabbath rest in Jesus Christ.
"There remains a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example (Nu 14) of disobedience." (Heb 4:9-11)

There is no Sabbath rest besides Jesus. He alone satisfies the requirements of the law, and he alone provides the sacrifice that atones for sin. He is God's plan for us to cease from the labor of our own works to save, and we dare not reject this one-and-only way of salvation (Jn 14:6). As the man was stoned for violating the Sabbath rest (Nu 15:35), so will it be for all who reject God's provision for our Sabbath rest in Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟454,515.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The purpose of the Sabbath was man's rest, the violation of which was punishable by death (Ex 31:14-15, Lev 23:3, Dt 5:14).

Jesus is our NT Sabbath in whom we rest from all our works to save, and in his work which saves (Heb 4:9)

Hebrews is about exhorting those new Hebrew Christians, who were considering abandoning Christ and returning to Judaism, to "enter in" (Heb 3:18, 4:1, 3, 5, 6) to the Sabbath rest provided by Christ (Heb 4:10-11), and pleading with them not to harden their hearts against Jesus, as their fathers hardened their hearts against the Lord in the wilderness.
God denied that generation access to Canaan rest (Josh 1:13, Ex 33:14, Dt 2:9-10, 25:19), saying, "They shall never enter into my rest." (Heb 3:11). In the same way, the writer to these Hebrews begs his readers not to make the same mistake by rejecting God's Sabbath rest in Jesus Christ.
"There remains a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example (Nu 14) of disobedience." (Heb 4:9-11)

There is no Sabbath rest besides Jesus. He alone satisfies the requirements of the law, and he alone provides the sacrifice that atones for sin. He is God's plan for us to cease from the labor of our own works to save, and we dare not reject this one-and-only way of salvation (Jn 14:6). As the man was stoned for violating the Sabbath rest (Nu 15:35), so will it be for all who reject God's provision for our Sabbath rest in Christ.
No, the purpose of the Sabbath was to bring man to God with this memorial of Creation of the day made for man.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, the purpose of the Sabbath was to bring man to God with this memorial of Creation of the day made for man.
Love your dog. . .

However, you must Bilbically demonstrate my error for your assertion to have any merit.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Notice..."Some have assumed that the Lord’s day is the New Testament equivalent of the Sabbath. "What is the Lord’s day? | GotQuestions.org. Then they go on to what is an outright lie..."Sunday was the day that Jesus Christ rose from the dead, an act that forever separated Christianity from any other religion", as scripture is clear the Sabbath continued as we see that Paul kept the Sabbath.

"And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures." Acts 17:2. "Paul and his company ... went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down." Acts 13:13, 14. "And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither." Acts 16:13. "And he [Paul] reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks." Acts 18:4.

Paul went to the synagogues to speak with the Jews on the Sabbath because that's when they were there. It would do little good to go there on Sunday. Christians have always gathered to worship on the Lord's Day, Sunday.

Reactions: TPop
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟495,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Paul went to the synagogues to speak with the Jews on the Sabbath because that's when they were there. It would do little good to go there on Sunday. Christians have always gathered to worship on the Lord's Day, Sunday.
In scripture we are told the Gentiles asked for more preaching to them the next Sabbath, not the next day (day 1)

Acts 13: 42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath

Christians outside of scripture may have gathered and started Sunday worship, but not the example of Jesus, the apostles or His faithful followers who kept every Sabbath according to the commandments. Luke 23:56 God's people keep God's commandments and the Sabbath is a commandment of God. Rev 14:12 1 Cor 7:19

• Agree
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟29,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've never seen Sunday as "the Sabbath". I see it as the first day of the week. And we meet weekly on the first day because that is what the early church did and I do not "forsake the gathering of yourselves together".

It has nothing to do with the old Jewish law and the Sabbath. Our Sabbath began the day the Lord was resurrected, or the moment he said "it is finished". Take your pick. We are in "His rest" at this point - going on over 2000 years and counting.

This is all just my personal opinion, of course. :)

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟495,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I've never seen Sunday as "the Sabbath". I see it as the first day of the week. And we meet weekly on the first day because that is what the early church did and I do not "forsake the gathering of yourselves together".

It has nothing to do with the old Jewish law and the Sabbath. Our Sabbath began the day the Lord was resurrected, or the moment he said "it is finished". Take your pick. We are in "His rest" at this point - going on over 2000 years and counting.

I would want a text for that. There is no scripture that says the Sabbath commandment ended or can be edited.

God's faithful kept the Sabbath after the cross according to the commandment Luke 23:56 and every Sabbath was kept by the apostles decades after the cross Acts 18:4 Acts 13:42-44 the apostles told us what matters is keeping the commandments of God 1 Cor 7:19, the Sabbath is a commandment of God spoken and written by God and no one has authority to edit or change His commandments.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In scripture we are told the Gentiles asked for more preaching to them the next Sabbath, not the next day (day 1)

Acts 13: 42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath

Christians outside of scripture may have gathered and started Sunday worship, but not the example of Jesus, the apostles or His faithful followers who kept every Sabbath according to the commandments. Luke 23:56 God's people keep God's commandments and the Sabbath is a commandment of God. Rev 14:12 1 Cor 7:19

Those were the gentiles who were in the synagogue on the Sabbath just like the Jews. Christians have always gathered to worship on the first day of the week.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟495,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Those were the gentiles who were in the synagogue on the Sabbath just like the Jews. Christians have always gathered to worship on the first day of the week.
Not through scripture, which is why no one ever posts it. If the apostles were keeping the first day why not tell them we will preach God's Word to you tomorrow, but instead asked for more preaching the next Sabbath where the whole city gathered Acts 13:44

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not through scripture, which is why no one ever posts it. If the apostles were keeping the first day why not tell them we will preach God's Word to you tomorrow, but instead asked for more preaching the next Sabbath where the whole city gathered Acts 13:44
The first day of the week was a work day. Just like it is in Israel today. That's the reason the earliest Christians gathered before dawn for services. They had to work afterwards, eventually leading Constantine to order all businesses closed on Sunday to allow Christians to worship.

Now. Show me two things. One: Who changed it. Two: Someone in history who agrees with you.

Reactions: TPop
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟495,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The first day of the week was a work day. Just like it is in Israel today. That's the reason the earliest Christians gathered before dawn for services. They had to work afterwards, eventually leading Constantine to order all businesses closed on Sunday to allow Christians to worship.

Now. Show me two things. One: Who changed it. Two: Someone in history who agrees with you.
Yes, God deemed all days working days except for the seventh day Sabbath Exo 20:8-11 and He is the authority, not man.

It was predicted the Sabbath would be changed Daniel 7:25 the only law that is both a time (every seventh day ) and law (Sabbath commandment) but it was not by changed God and we see this clearly happening through history, not by God or in scripture, again why no one ever quotes scripture to support it.

Q. Have you any other proofs that they(Protestants) are not guided by the Scripture?
A. Yes; so many, that we cannot admit more than a mere specimen into this small work. They reject much that is clearly contained in Scripture, and profess more that is nowhere discoverable in that Divine Book.

Q. Give some examples of both?
A. They should, if the Scripture were their only rule, wash the feet of one another, according to the command of Christ, in the 13th chap. of St. John; —they should keep, not the Sunday, but the Saturday, according to the commandment, "Remember thou keep holy the SABBATH-day;" for this commandment has not, in Scripture, been changed or abrogated;...
—Rev. Stephen Keenan, A Doctrinal Catechism; New York in 1857, page 101 Imprimatuer

Question: Which is the Sabbath day?
Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.
Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.
—Rev. Peter Geiermann C.SS.R., The Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, p. 50

The choice is ours do we follow man or follow God? Jesus tells us the choice we should make Mark 7:7-8 Mat 15:3-9 we should trust Jesus!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟929,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

The latter refers to the day of resurrection and is on a Sunday
I don't know of any bible text that calls weekday-1, the first day of the week , -- "the day of the Lord" or the "Day of the LORD" - do you ?

• Agree
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟929,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I've never seen Sunday as "the Sabbath". I see it as the first day of the week.
Certainly that is how the NT identifies it. (As well as the OT)
And we meet weekly on the first day because that is what the early church did
Is there even one NT text that says "we meet every week day 1 for worship" or "We meet every week day 1 instead of Sabbath"??
We all have free will and opinions.

The NT says there is such a thing as "the Commandments of God" 1 John 5:3-4 saying "This is the Love of God that we KEEP His Commandments"
and 1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is keeping the Commandments of God"
and Eph 6:2 "Honor your father and mother is the first commandment with a promise" in the Commandments of God

No wonder the first promise in the NEW Covenant is "I will write My Law on their heart" Jer 31:31-34 as noted in Hebrews 8

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟929,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Paul went to the synagogues to speak with the Jews on the Sabbath because that's when they were there. It would do little good to go there on Sunday.
Paul preached to both gentiles and Jews on Sabbath in the Synagogues as we see in Acts 13, Acts 17 and Acts 18:4.

It is the gentiles (not the Jews) that asked that the more Gospel sermons be scheduled for them "the NEXT Sabbath" - as we see in Acts 13.
Christians have always gathered to worship on the Lord's Day,
true
Do you have a text for that?

Upvote 0