Another 'Once in a Lifetime' Astronomical Viewing Event in 2024 - Rare Star Explosion

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,736,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NASA officials are expecting a special cosmic event that is being described as a “"once-in-a-lifetime viewing opportunity.”

As reported by Fox News, the event is a nova explosion that is located in a star system 3,000 light years away from Earth and astronomers predict it will be visible to the "unaided eye" at some point in 2024.

"Unfortunately, we don't know the timing of this as well as we know the eclipse," Bill Cooke, lead for NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office (MEO) at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, told Fox News Digital.

"But when it happens, it'll be something you'll remember."

The nova explosion, T Coronae Borealis, is one of 10 known recurrent novas in the galaxy and has been nicknamed "the blaze star.”

"A typical nova consists of a star, like a red giant — a star bigger than the sun — and a white dwarf, which is a star about the size of the Earth," Cooke said.

"And that red giant is dumping material on the surface of that white dwarf. They're orbiting each other, and they're real close together."

Cooke further explained that when sufficient material dropped on the surface of the white dwarf, the increased temperature sets off a thermonuclear runway on the surface of that white dwarf.

"When that happens, that white dwarf blows all that material out in space, and it gets very bright, hundreds of times brighter than what it was before," Cooke said.

"And if it's close to us or relatively close to us, we will see a new start to appear in our sky."

Although a telescope would have been used to see that star, Cooke says its sudden flare into brightness can be witnessed with the unaided eye.

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,736,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would like to see it. I wander if it happens to night, it would be a sight to see.
It appears and will stay visible for about a week. It will appear as a new star.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟110,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
NASA officials are expecting a special cosmic event that is being described as a “"once-in-a-lifetime viewing opportunity.”

As reported by Fox News, the event is a nova explosion that is located in a star system 3,000 light years away from Earth and astronomers predict it will be visible to the "unaided eye" at some point in 2024.

"Unfortunately, we don't know the timing of this as well as we know the eclipse," Bill Cooke, lead for NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office (MEO) at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, told Fox News Digital.

The nova explosion, T Coronae Borealis, is one of 10 known recurrent novas in the galaxy and has been nicknamed "the blaze star.”

"A typical nova consists of a star, like a red giant — a star bigger than the sun — and a white dwarf, which is a star about the size of the Earth," Cooke said.

"And that red giant is dumping material on the surface of that white dwarf. They're orbiting each other, and they're real close together."

Cooke further explained that when sufficient material dropped on the surface of the white dwarf, the increased temperature sets off a thermonuclear runway on the surface of that white dwarf.

"When that happens, that white dwarf blows all that material out in space, and it gets very bright, hundreds of times brighter than what it was before," Cooke said.

"And if it's close to us or relatively close to us, we will see a new start to appear in our sky."

Although a telescope would have been used to see that star, Cooke says its sudden flare into brightness can be witnessed with the unaided eye.

Continued below.
New stars, sounds interesting, as I was always into astronomy, or at least since age 8 or 9. NASA has an article about this recurring nova as well: View Nova Explosion, ‘New’ Star in Northern Crown - Watch the Skies

Hmm, maybe the Star of Bethlehem was a supernova that signaled the birth of Jesus. This short article points out potential candidates: What was the Christmas Star?

While another article says it could be comet in 5 BC: Star of Bethlehem

Hopefully none of my fellow Christians attack me for saying that. :)

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,736,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
New stars, sounds interesting, as I was always into astronomy, or at least since age 8 or 9. NASA has an article about this recurring nova as well: View Nova Explosion, ‘New’ Star in Northern Crown - Watch the Skies

Hmm, maybe the Star of Bethlehem was a supernova that signaled the birth of Jesus. This short article points out potential candidates: What was the Christmas Star?

They shouldn’t there are all sorts of theories on the Christmas Star. It’s an interesting topic imo.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟110,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They shouldn’t there are all sorts of theories on the Christmas Star. It’s an interesting topic imo.
Yeah, it is an interesting topic. Science and faith can go hand in hand.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟110,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When is it?
Anytime between now and September 2024. From NASA: Astronomers believe it [the star] will do so again between February and September 2024.

1714163645609.png

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

DJWhalen

When God steps in, miracles happen.
Feb 13, 2024
Indianapolis
✟15,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
They have not pinpointed it. It just said at some point in 2024.
It will be a news worth so I will look up when it is seeable. I got part were they said it will be bright.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

You say you want a revolution? **cough**
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Nope, I won't be attacking you for it at all. Those possibilities are interesting, especially on a historical scale.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟110,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nope, I won't be attacking you for it at all. Those possibilities are interesting, especially on a historical scale.
Thank you. :) I am not sure which possibility or date the Star of Bethlehem was, but we as a society do know that several bright events in the sky happened near the birth of Jesus. Maybe these bright events in close temporal proximity to each other were meant to trigger debates about when Jesus was born. But, it does not matter when Jesus was born, all that matters is that He saved us.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you. :) I am not sure which possibility or date the Star of Bethlehem was, but we as a society do know that several bright events in the sky happened near the birth of Jesus. Maybe these bright events in close temporal proximity to each other were meant to trigger debates about when Jesus was born. But, it does not matter when Jesus was born, all that matters is that He saved us.

You're welcome!

Those have been my thoughts on it as well. In fact, I told my son something similar a few months back around Christmas when I showed him a video covering some of the same info that is in your linked article. So, it's good to see someone else have similar a similar perspective on this historical possibility where Matthew's Gospel is concerned.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Continued below.

Now that I have this info, I'll be looking for it, Michie. Thank you!

Reactions: reveal77
Upvote 0