Aug 23, 2007
✟797,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi, if it came down to having to get away from your parents even if they could not survive without you, because they are torturing you (verbally) for your faith and they just won't let you breathe about it, is it more pleasing to God to stay with our parents and endure the torture, or get out?

• Prayers
Reactions: Susie~Q

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟340,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not Catholic, but I support you in your decision to be Catholic, so I hope I am posting in fellowship.

Are your parents literally unable to survive without you? That is, are they elderly or handicapped, with you providing personal care, cooking their meals, and so on? If so, perhaps you could look into elder care services. They do cost money, but it would give you a few hours' relief every day from your work of caring for them.

On the other hand, if they're not physically dependent on you, and they're just being emotionally manipulative, then it may be time to find your own apartment. You can still be kind to them, and call them on the phone once a week, but some distance could be good for your own emotional well-being. Some distance might be healthy for them, as well.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hi, if it came down to having to get away from your parents even if they could not survive without you, because they are torturing you (verbally) for your faith and they just won't let you breathe about it, is it more pleasing to God to stay with our parents and endure the torture, or get out?
You do not have to take the emotional or verbal violence directed at you. So you are within your rights to leave. That alone should give you a sense of protection, that when it has gone too far you really can leave.

I don't think God wants you stomped on. I just don't. Perhaps God wants you to stand up for your self and tell your father not to torture or abuse you. If he changes, you could stay. If he blows up, feel free to leave. In fact protect yourself and leave. It really is your father's choice whether he ends up with your company or whether he ends up all alone.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟797,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You do not have to take the emotional or verbal violence directed at you. So you are within your rights to leave. That alone should give you a sense of protection, that when it has gone too far you really can leave.

I don't think God wants you stomped on. I just don't. Perhaps God wants you to stand up for your self and tell your father not to torture or abuse you. If he changes, you could stay. If he blows up, feel free to leave. In fact protect yourself and leave. It really is your father's choice whether he ends up with your company or whether he ends up all alone.
He's twisting things to make it upside down.

He said if I don't want to practice Islam, then "get out," then accuses ME of choosing Christianity over him. No, I choose Christianity over shiddy attitude. I'm actually willing to live with HIM and take care of HIM (and not even begrudgingly) but it's HIM who is choosing Islam over ME as an entire INDIVIDUAL. He's turning it around to make it look like I "hate" him and am choosing "church over him" (well, to a point, we do have to). No, it's him who makes things unlivable, and then blames the person he "abuses" for leaving him (hypothetically right now) all alone. I'm sorry but I really freaking hate how the whole thing is being made for me to look like I'm the bad person.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟797,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not Catholic, but I support you in your decision to be Catholic, so I hope I am posting in fellowship.

Are your parents literally unable to survive without you? That is, are they elderly or handicapped, with you providing personal care, cooking their meals, and so on? If so, perhaps you could look into elder care services. They do cost money, but it would give you a few hours' relief every day from your work of caring for them.

On the other hand, if they're not physically dependent on you, and they're just being emotionally manipulative, then it may be time to find your own apartment. You can still be kind to them, and call them on the phone once a week, but some distance could be good for your own emotional well-being. Some distance might be healthy for them, as well.
The problem is that he's physically dependent on me but extremely emotionally manipulative in the religion department - accusing me of hating him because he's not Christian, but anyone who treats me this way I would view with contempt. I'm actually way too nice. I sit there silent like Jesus on trial.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The problem is that he's physically dependent on me but extremely emotionally manipulative in the religion department - accusing me of hating him because he's not Christian, but anyone who treats me this way I would view with contempt. I'm actually way too nice. I sit there silent like Jesus on trial.
For someone dependent upon you he should be nicer to you. This is on him. He can decide if he wants his physical needs met OR if he wants to be mean to you. Simply not both. He's gotta pick. Give him a stark choice. Let him pick. Then hold him to it.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟340,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that he's physically dependent on me

That makes it tougher. Do you have anyone who can share the load of taking care of him? Siblings, other relatives, etc.?

Distance yourself as you need to. You can walk out of the room if he starts berating you. If it's safe for him to be in the house by himself, you can leave the house for a couple of hours.

Take care of yourself, Lady Bug. You are a beloved child of God, and you are deserving of love and respect.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟797,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
For someone dependent upon you he should be nicer to you. This is on him. He can decide if he wants his physical needs met OR if he wants to be mean to you. Simply not both. He's gotta pick. Give him a stark choice. Let him pick. Then hold him to it.
If I choose to make myself the priority he will twist it and "cry" that I'm choosing Christianity over him and am "leaving him alone to die." It's terrible. It's him who's choosing Islam over me.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟797,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That makes it tougher. Do you have anyone who can share the load of taking care of him? Siblings, other relatives, etc.?

Distance yourself as you need to. You can walk out of the room if he starts berating you. If it's safe for him to be in the house by himself, you can leave the house for a couple of hours.
My brother refuses to help. I don't have contact with any of my mother's relatives and I don't want any of my father's relatives to come closer to me, since my dad is already intolerant of not being Muslim. I feel like I shouldn't have been born sometimes, that's how much suffering this is for me.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟281,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

He said if I don't want to practice Islam, then "get out," then accuses ME of choosing Christianity over him. No, I choose Christianity over shiddy attitude. I'm actually willing to live with HIM and take care of HIM (and not even begrudgingly) but it's HIM who is choosing Islam over ME as an entire INDIVIDUAL. He's turning it around to make it look like I "hate" him and am choosing "church over him" (well, to a point, we do have to). No, it's him who makes things unlivable, and then blames the person he "abuses" for leaving him (hypothetically right now) all alone. I'm sorry but I really freaking hate how the whole thing is being made for me to look like I'm the bad person.
Classic gaslighting and emotional manipulation. This type of behavior is the sign of a very, very dysfunctional and malignant personality; it's in every psychiatric manual ever published. Ultimately, it's a method of control, a way the controller uses to twist people into emotional and mental slavery in order to force the victim into doing what the controller wants.

Personally, I would not stay in such a situation; I would pack and leave, and go somewhere that the controller could not find me, for the sake of my own emotional stability. But that's me. I can't tell you what you should do; you will have to listen to God and to your own heart for guidance. But I can tell you that you're being manipulated; what you're describing is textbook manipulative behavior on the part of your father. It's right straight out of the manuals. I would say the problem is with him, not you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If I choose to make myself the priority he will twist it and "cry" that I'm choosing Christianity over him and am "leaving him alone to die." It's terrible. It's him who's choosing Islam over me.
He is choosing to alienate his daughter. He does not NEED to alienate you. He has chosen to do so.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'm sorry to hear about the challenging situation you find yourself in. Remember that I'm just a 24 year old Catholic man, but I can offer you some guidance based on religious texts. Both the Bible and the Koran emphasize the importance of respecting and honoring one's parents, but the two also recognize that there are limits to this obligation.

Let's begin with the Bible:

1. Exodus 20:12 - "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you."

2. Ephesians 6:1-3 - "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 'Honor your father and mother,' which is the first commandment with a promise: 'so that it may go well with you and that you may live long on the earth.'"

However, there are also situations where leaving home can be justified:

3. Matthew 10:34-37 - "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn 'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.' Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."

Now, tell your dad this, as he is not following the peaceful teachings of the Koran. If he is a Muslim, he must be peaceful, just as Christians must be peaceful. If he continues being verbally abusive, then your dad is a hypocrite. Had to pull these Koran verses from online, cos I am not Muslim. Hopefully these are the right verses:

1. Surah Al-Baqarah (2:83) - "You shall serve none but God and do good to parents, kinsmen [sons and daughters], orphans and the needy; you shall speak kindly to people, and establish Prayer and give Zakah (Purifying Alms)."

2. Surah Al-Nisa (4:36) - "Worship God and associate nothing with Him, and to parents do good, and to relatives [sons and daughters], orphans, the needy, the near neighbor, the neighbor farther away, the companion at your side, the traveler, and those whom your right hands possess. Indeed, God does not like those who are self-deluding and boastful."

These verses emphasize the importance of both honoring parents and doing what is right. In your situation, it's crucial to prioritize your safety and emotional well-being while striving for peace and respectful communication with your father. If staying with him becomes detrimental to your faith or causes harm, it may be necessary to seek a new living situation where you can practice your Catholicism freely and peacefully.

It's essential not to let anyone manipulate or guilt-trip you into compromising your beliefs or wellbeing. Remember that ultimately, it is between you and God in matters of faith. Pray for guidance and wisdom to navigate this challenging situation with patience, compassion, and courage. May He grant you the strength and understanding needed to make the best decision for your spiritual growth.

I wish you peace, love, and blessings on this journey.

Upvote 0