• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

starting metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katryna

Jan 28, 2008
Illinois
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Renee,

I started metformin about six months ago; my endocrinologist started me on 500 mg. and slowly raised the dosage to 2000 mg. a day. I find if I drink too much Diet Coke (my favorite beverage), I get severe heartburn... and diarrhea is common, but it was common for me before the metformin and is still so.

From what I have read on the web, these are common responses; it's best to take metformin with food, and one doesn't see much benefit from the metformin until they are at the 1500 to 2000 mg. level.

I was diagnosed with PCOS way back in 1982, when all PCOS was was an infertility diagnosis; it wasn't until about 8 years ago when I got internet connection and did a little research out of pure curiosity that I found out PCOS should be treated for the patient's lifetime for health concerns. I had extreme difficulty finding a doctor in my area that had any knowledge of this; I tried family practitioners, gynecologists, and endocrinologists. Most of them just gave me the "duh" look and told me I was fat because I ate too much and didn't exercise enough, and metformin wasn't going to help me. My triglycerides are high and my blood pressure borderline high -- typical of PCOS women; and at 50, it's a wonder I'm not diabetic at my age/weight. I had to drive 85 miles across state lines to a young female endocrinologist to get help. Six months on the metformin now, and without any change in lifestyle, I have lost ten pounds and my blood pressure is down 8 points (probably due to the weight loss). I can't wait for spring, when I can get out and walk and be more active, and actively lose more weight!

Oddly, my family practitioner could NOT admit to being wrong about the metformin; said it must be causing severe diarrhea that causes me to lose weight (NOT) or I have made lifestyle changes (NOT again!) or --- am I extremely tired? sick? (NOOO!!) It sure makes me uneasy at the least and very angry at most to think I have to research my own medical treatment and actively seek my own help against the advice of several doctors! The consequences of not treating PCOS are staggering (as well as life threatening!).

Upvote 0

lozzie

Just me...
Apr 7, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟19,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi Renee!

Hows the metformin going?

I need to get back on it. I kinda stopped taking it because i accidently missed too many doses.My gyn was impressed with me, lol. But I've put on more wieght since then because it was helping to regulate my insulin levels. I might go and get my prescription fileed today. But I take diabex which is the extended release form of metformin, and means that I take 1500mg once a day. Well... once I work up to it I'll be taking that!

Upvote 0

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟36,026.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Renee!

Hows the metformin going?

I need to get back on it. I kinda stopped taking it because i accidently missed too many doses.My gyn was impressed with me, lol. But I've put on more wieght since then because it was helping to regulate my insulin levels. I might go and get my prescription fileed today. But I take diabex which is the extended release form of metformin, and means that I take 1500mg once a day. Well... once I work up to it I'll be taking that!
Seems to be doin good. I'm on 500mg a day. I accidentally took one extra one evening with out food. I learned my lesson.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.