Atlanta
✟15,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Husband believes strongly in being his adult daughters’ ‘covering’ until they get married. He believes an extension of that is keeping them living with us until they get married; or them living in a property we buy.

Husband does not believe in using ‘worldly’ terminology or concepts, so I was expecting to find usage of the term ‘cover/covering’ in the Bible in the context that he uses it, but I haven’t found such.

Any scripture that might reflect the concept using different terminology?

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Husband believes strongly in being his adult daughters’ ‘covering’ until they get married. He believes an extension of that is keeping them living with us until they get married; or them living in a property we buy.

Husband does not believe in using ‘worldly’ terminology or concepts, so I was expecting to find usage of the term ‘cover/covering’ in the Bible in the context that he uses it, but I haven’t found such.

1 Corinthians 11 BSB

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some still believe this but there is more context here and totally different times. The name alone should give this away "Corinthians".

There is a reason most do not do this today :) To the OP some might use this to keep control. Its one thing if a woman wants to keep her head covered praise God but for someone to force them.. well anyway

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some still believe this but there is more context here and totally different times. The name alone should give this away "Corinthians".

There is a reason most do not do this today :) To the OP some might use this to keep control. Its one thing if a woman wants to keep her head covered praise God but for someone to force them.. well anyway

no ... it I agree it shouldn't be a forced issue.

Upvote 0

Doug Brents

Aug 30, 2021
Atlanta, GA
✟24,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What I hear you saying is that your husband believes that, as long as your daughters remain unmarried, he is still responsible for them spiritually. This they fall under his spiritual “covering”, until they are married at which time they would fall under their husband’s “covering”.

Is my understanding correct?

If that is his belief, then I believe he is right as long as she is a part of his household. If she is no longer a part of his household, then she is her own “covering”, her own household, until she gets married.

That is my belief, but I do not know that scripture speaks to this situation. In the culture that existed during biblical times, a girl never left her fathers house until she was married. Today it is a common practice for a girl to leave her fathers household and provide for herself before she gets married. But the Bible does not speak to the right or wrong, good or evil, of this cultural practice.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟493,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The concept as I understand it is not really Biblical.

Indeed. The only thing in Scripture and Tradition that remotely relates to this is women wearing a scarf, bonnet, or in Anglicanism, particularly lovely hats such as those worn at the 2011 wedding of HRH Prince William of Wales, to Kate, Princess of Wales (it feels weird typing that rather than the Duke and Duchess of Sussex).

Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟200,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The concept as I understand it is not really Biblical.
The covering myth was taught by the cultist Bill Gothard of Basic Youth Concepts or something like that.

A Matter of Basic Principles: Bill Gothard the Christian Life
Veinot, Don; Veinot, Joy; Henzel, Ron

Gothard: The man and his ministry : an evaluation
by Wilfred Bockelman

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟200,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Everyone uses ‘worldly’ terminology every day.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Well, no. It's not biblical.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The covering myth was taught by the cultist Bill Gothard of Basic Youth Concepts or something like that.

A Matter of Basic Principles: Bill Gothard the Christian Life
Veinot, Don; Veinot, Joy; Henzel, Ron

Gothard: The man and his ministry : an evaluation
by Wilfred Bockelman

Looks like I'm going to have to do more homework about another kooky false teacher. The name rung a bell, but that may just be because it was a name mentioned in an audio book I listened to a little over a year ago, "Jesus and John Wayne" which was a rather illuminating exploration of the last ~100 years of "religious" reactionary politicking.

-CryptoLutheran

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Wayne Gabler

Jan 26, 2020
Calgary
✟22,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
This concept fits your OP:
1Co:7:12-14:
But to the rest speak I,
not the Lord:
If any brother hath a wife that believeth not,
and she be pleased to dwell with him,
let him not put her away.
And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not,
and if he be pleased to dwell with her,
let her not leave him.
For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife,
and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband:
else were your children unclean;
but now are they holy.

The ones about a wife being silent in Church only means the men talk in Church as they are the head of the house. The wife teaches the husband what he will say in Church during the other 6 days of the week.
Mary, the mother of Jesus, was a daughter of Aaron, like the mother of John the Baptist. They would both have been experts on what was found in the OT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums