Farmington
✟31,591.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I was listening to a sermon from a church in Arizona last night and heard the pastor say in passing, that Lot had 4 daughters and 2 of them stayed behind with their husbands, who were Lot's son in laws that didn't leave Sodom.
The information we have comes from Genesis 19:8, 12, 14, 15, & 31

"Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof."

"And the men said unto Lot, Hast thou here any besides? son in law, and thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever thou hast in the city, bring them out of this place:"

"And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the Lord will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.

And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city."

"And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:"

Now there is the possibility of 4 things here:

1) The son in laws were only betrothed to the 2 daughters, which was considered as married.

2) Lot lied to the men of Sodom in Genesis 19:8

3) The son in laws had in fact married Lots daughters but had yet to consummate.

4) There are unmentioned daughters.

I've always believed Lot had only 2 daughters, and here's why.
The Hebrew word "bᵊḵîrâ" is used for Firstborn and it's definition is, Firstborn, always of women. The firstborn daughter would have likely been the first one to be married.
I'd think if there were other daughters, they'd have been mentioned. Genesis 7:8 is clear about Noah's family, speaking of Noah, his sons, his wife, and his sons wives.

There is a Rabbinical tradition that says Lot had 4 daughters, but the Hebrew where it says "married" is lokehei, which is "were to wed" as in betrothal.

Furthermore, Josephus, in Antiquities of the Jews states,

Josephus 1:11:4
"But Lot, upon God’s informing him of the future destruction of the Sodomites, went away; taking with him his wife, and daughters; who were two, and still virgins: for those that were betrothed to them were above the thoughts of going; and deemed that Lot’s words were trifling"

Most likely the preacher I heard had gone with the Rabbinical tradition, because otherwise his sermon was great. It's just the first time I actually heard of Lot having 4 daughters, and I just recently made a post mentioning his 2 daughters that had lost their husbands.