TubaFour

Reformed
Oct 20, 2005
✟15,565.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Here's a question I've been struggling with. If the following seems incoherent it's because I am thinking out loud about this topic.

Many reformed and puritan theologians consider sanctification a synergistic process, while some Lutheran theologians will refer to it as monergistic. Which is it?

I want to think that sanctification is monergistic (because I see my impotence at accomplishing anything good -- and my deep sinfulness), but, then how do I reconcile the idea of a judgment day, unless it's a "pass" since I am in Christ. But, when I read 2 Corinthians 5:10 things get muddy because Paul seems to be talking about works done in this life as though that's the basis of our judgment.

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.

Then I read Ephesians 2:10: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

I must think that his preparation of good works which God prepared beforehand means that it is monergistic which then precludes a judgment for good or evil things done by us!!! No?

There's also the 1 Cor 3:10-15.

The way I am thinking about it, is that there are differing rewards for the christian, which rewards are going to be handed out (so to speak) at the judgment seat of Christ.

I guess the bottom line question I am dealing with is how could sanctification be monergistic if we will be rewarded in varying degrees? On the other hand, I can see that He who began a good work will be faithful to complete it. He began it and He will complete it. No?

Please help me sort this out.

TIA

aL

BalaamsAss51

Sep 16, 2005
North Carolina
✟15,864.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Tubafour.

The following is mainly from the "Christian Cyclopedia". (with my comments)

Conversion refers to how the salvation won for us by Christ is brought into the possesion of the individual sinner for his soul's eternal salvation. The word “conversion” is used in Scripture in a wider and a narrower sense.

In the wider sense it designates the entire process whereby man is transferred from his carnal state into a spiritual state of faith and grace and then enters, under the continued influence of the Holy Spirit, a state of faithful and spiritual life.

Conversion in the narrower sense is essentially the bestowal of faith (donatio fidei) in God's promise of salvation for Christ's sake. It takes place in the heart and consists in this, that a heart, broken and contrite because of sin, comes to faith in Christ and trusts in Christ for grace and forgiveness (Acts 11:21). It takes place when the Holy Spirit engenders faith in the hearts of penitents through the Word of God (Law and Gospel) and the Sacraments. (Is 55:10–11; Jn 1:45–50; 6:63; Acts 8:34–38; 16:13–34; Ro 1:16; 10:17)

Conversion is sometimes spoken of as being gradual; but in that case the term is used in a wide sense to include certain outward acts that commonly precede conversion and only prepare for conversion. Conversion proper is the matter of an instant, the moment when the Holy Spirit through means of grace engenders faith in a contrite heart.

Monergism is a theological term while is shorthand for the teaching that the grace of God is the only efficient cause in beginning and effecting conversion.

Synergism is a theological term which is shorthand for the teaching that man cooperates with God in conversion.

Since we cannot by our own reason or strength believe in God or come to Him, our faith is given to us by God, the salvation won by Christ is given to us by God, all through the means He has created for us. Therefore our salvation is of a purely monergistic nature. Therefore that anyone teaching that we can aid/cooperate/get in a state of readyness for/help out with our conversion is wrong.

Please remember that justification and santification are not the same thing, but more or less two sides of a coin. Our justification (God looking at us and seeing Jesus's righteousness) comes from God alone. Then our sanctification (spiritual growth) could be looked upon as being done by God's grace as a Christian cooperates in this work through the Holy Spirit's work when faith is increased daily, love strengthened, and the image of God renewed in us.

When we appear before that Judgement seat, our due will be eternal damnation. But praise God that when He looks at us He will only see His Son. Our sins will not be seen but the righteousness of Christ will cover us. Of course, that is for Christians. The non-christian will be seen as the sinner he or she is. That one will be damned.

Pax

Upvote 0

TubaFour

Reformed
Oct 20, 2005
✟15,565.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your thoughts and comments. I am aware of the distinction between justification and sanctification. I also understand the terms monergism and synergism. I am using these terms in their general meaning of course not as they may relate to justification. I am a monergist when it comes to justification.

I also understand that we will not be condemned of course, because of Christ, and on account of Christ's payment of the debt of our sin and His righteousness which God graciously imputes to us. That's all well.

My question is whether or not a person who lives a more godly life than another does so by virtue of his or her own efforts (mixed with God's grace) or are based upon God's grace alone. Also, would such a person receive a greater reward than another person who allowed himself to sin more frequently, or more eggregiously, etc...?

I hope this makes sense!

aL

Upvote 0

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
TubaFour said:
Here's a question I've been struggling with. If the following seems incoherent it's because I am thinking out loud about this topic.

Many reformed and puritan theologians consider sanctification a synergistic process, while some Lutheran theologians will refer to it as monergistic. Which is it?

I think it’s both in the sense that sanctification is twofold in its application.

(A) Monergistic in the sense that we are sanctified (Set apart) by God. Acts 20:32, 26:18, Romans 15:16, 1Cor 1:2, 6:11.

(B) Synergistic in the sense that we set ourselves apart by being Holy, Heb 12:14, 1Pet 1:15,16: Rev 22:11.

I think the two come together in 1 Cor 1:2 “To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy”

I want to think that sanctification is monergistic (because I see my impotence at accomplishing anything good -- and my deep sinfulness),

In my view it is monergistic in the sense that we are enabled by the power of God to

be sanctified and synergistic in the sense that because of that enabling we are capable of being sanctified

2Pet 1:3 “His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.”

but, then how do I reconcile the idea of a judgment day, unless it's a "pass" since I am in Christ. But, when I read 2 Corinthians 5:10 things get muddy because Paul seems to be talking about works done in this life as though that's the basis of our judgment.

Basis of our judgement yes but not of our salvation.

1 Cor 3:10-15 “ By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames”.

Then I read Ephesians 2:10: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

The works are destined for us to walk in them but we must do the walking

I must think that his preparation of good works which God prepared beforehand means that it is monergistic which then precludes a judgment for good or evil things done by us!!! No?

Again, monergistic in the sense that he has prepared them but synergistic in the sense that we must walk in them.

The way I am thinking about it, is that there are differing rewards for the christian, which rewards are going to be handed out (so to speak) at the judgment seat of Christ.

Yes it does seem there is a hieararchy in heaven. Angels and archangels and all that. Greater and lesser rewards but these have no bearing on final salvation which is guaranteed for the child of God.

I guess the bottom line question I am dealing with is how could sanctification be monergistic if we will be rewarded in varying degrees? On the other hand, I can see that He who began a good work will be faithful to complete it. He began it and He will complete it. No?

I think the good work is the work of salvation which will be complete in its realization at the day of Christ.Although it was completed in application at the cross it will not be realized until “the day”

Please help me sort this out.

Like you said in your opening statement that you were thinking out loud’ I replied in the same manner. Your questions have been my questions too as I have struggled and still do with the same issue. I hope we can both come to a deeper understanding .

God bless

Upvote 0

TubaFour

Reformed
Oct 20, 2005
✟15,565.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Oworm,

A lutheran friend of mine insists that sanctification is monergistic. We haven't discussed this in great depth, but I tend to agree with your analysis.

Berkhoff's systematic theology also makes the point that sanctification is monergistic in the sense that it is the work of God, but it is synergistic in the sense that man must (will) desire to work to achieve greater sanctification. I think I can buy that.

Blessings,

aL

Upvote 0
S

Seaioth

It may seem syngergistic but it is monergistic... believe me I've burned myself out thinking it was syngergistic... not a pretty testimony... nor one I am going to share...

That is not to say

1) Sit back and enjoy the fireworks
2) Get paranoid doing good deeds to be zapped by God to become holy vessels for His glory

Psalm 119 =)

If it is self-sanctification that is confidence in the flesh and is sin...

Let us not be Marthas, nor a distorted Mary...

Sanctification is through God. We are to have spiritual disciplines and go to the Word daily, else this be the soley a work of man... which is vanity.

John 17:17

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sanctification? Sanctification is not synergistic in the sense that both sides are equally assisting. But it is not monergistic in the sense that the Spirit is the only one acting.

"synergistic" etymologically means "two-powered". If you mean that to be the question, then sanctification is indeed "one-powered": "monergistic".

I'd say Sanctification is Spirit-empowered, and believer-yielded. So if we look at participation or involvement, then sanctification has two parties non-passively involved. Rom 8:13-14 (and really all of Rom 8, even the bit at the end of Rom 7) point out that these things are being done by the Spirit, but they are put into action through the mind of the believer -- him submitting to the power of the Spirit in his life.

So sanctification is different from justification, in that the believer is willing and thinking differently. But the power the believer is putting into action is the Spirit's -- thus its work continues to be monergistic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Monergism: The view that the Holy Spirit is the only agent who effects regeneration of Christians. It is on contrast with synergism, the view that there is a cooperation between the divine and the human in the regeneration process. (Westminster Dictionary of Theological Terms)
Monergism is the position that "the grace of God is the only efficient cause in beginning and effecting conversion. "The opposite of synergism, this position is consistently upheld by the Augustinian tradition within Christianity. Representative is the attitude of Martin Luther. Luther believed that salvation was by grace alone through faith, arriving at this position from his study of Rom. 1:16 - 17. The believing faith that receives this grace is itself the gift of God. In his explanation of the third article of the Creed, Luther commented: "I believe that by my own reason or strength I cannot believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to him. But the Holy Spirit has called me through the Gospel, enlightened me with his gifts, and sanctified and preserved me in true faith."

Synergism comes from the Greek word "synergos" meaning working together. It refers to the interaction between two or more "things" when the combined effect is greater than if you added the "things" on their own (a type of "when is one plus one is greater than two" effect).

Upvote 0

TubaFour

Reformed
Oct 20, 2005
✟15,565.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
DeaconDean said:
Monergism: The view that the Holy Spirit is the only agent who effects regeneration of Christians. It is on contrast with synergism, the view that there is a cooperation between the divine and the human in the regeneration process. (Westminster Dictionary of Theological Terms)

Monergism is the position that "the grace of God is the only efficient cause in beginning and effecting conversion. "The opposite of synergism, this position is consistently upheld by the Augustinian tradition within Christianity. Representative is the attitude of Martin Luther. Luther believed that salvation was by grace alone through faith, arriving at this position from his study of Rom. 1:16 - 17. The believing faith that receives this grace is itself the gift of God. In his explanation of the third article of the Creed, Luther commented: "I believe that by my own reason or strength I cannot believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to him. But the Holy Spirit has called me through the Gospel, enlightened me with his gifts, and sanctified and preserved me in true faith."

Synergism comes from the Greek word "synergos" meaning working together. It refers to the interaction between two or more "things" when the combined effect is greater than if you added the "things" on their own (a type of "when is one plus one is greater than two" effect).

So, would you believe that sanctification is monergistic?

I am starting to think that sanctification is monergistic; i.e. effected by God alone. However, that doesn't mean that we're passive either does it? What I mean is that as in regeneration we believe, nobody believes for us, in sanctification we work, but the work has already been appointed/prepared for us.

Eph 2:10: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Gal 3: 3Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by[a] the flesh? 4Did you suffer[b] so many things in vain--if indeed it was in vain? 5Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith--

aL

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.