Los Angeles Area
✟848,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
“As many are, we are horrified by the ongoing genocide in Gaza and are even more horrified to see so many Americans ignore and rationalize ethnic cleansing. That is why we are pleased to announce we are banning all zionists forever from our establishments,” the Weathered Waves bar posted on Instagram.

Its owner, former [no party; winning 7% of the vote] mayoral candidate Michael Valentine, responded to backlash by stressing that “we are banning zionists, not Jews.”

In comments to The Salt Lake Tribune, he said: “It is not antisemitic to say we are anti-genocide. That’s what we’re saying… I literally say in the post I’m not banning Jews. This is not about that.”

--

While unwise and unhelpful, this is probably within the owner's rights, as long as he's sincere that it's about banning those who espouse the political position of Zionism, rather than banning Jews.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟848,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
So if you think Israel should exist, youre not allowed?
It's not really clear how he's defining Zionism. And I get the sense he'd do a poor job of doing so if asked.

(Not that Zionism is easy to define, since it does seem to mean different things to different people. But this guy doesn't strike me as having a good grasp on the picture.)

• Agree
Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Going to California with an aching in my heart
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟264,585.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I literally say in the post I’m not banning Jews. This is not about that.”
Not all Zionists are Jews. But there can't be many Jews, or people who at least identify as Jewish who do not support 'the development and protection of a Jewish nation in what is now Israel.' (dictionary definition).

Leaving aside the obvious observation that Valentine is an idiot, does he want everyone who enters his establishment to sign a waver saying they do not actually support 'the development and protection of a Jewish nation in what is now Israel.'

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟440,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's not really clear how he's defining Zionism. And I get the sense he'd do a poor job of doing so if asked.
I think the basic idea of Zionism was, after centuries of brutal persecutions, to establish a Jewish country where they wouldnt be subject to such perennial abuse.

Taken at face value, I'm for that. But there's 2 problems:

1. Non Jewish people were living in the land the Zionists (and others) chose. Those people would either have to go, or stay in a state defined by their "type" remaining a permanent minority.

2. It seems to have taken on a "manifest destiny" character where Israelis in power seem to want all of the ancient lands where their scriptural ancestors dwelt, where it seems a lot of non Jews currently live.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,212,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Leaving aside the obvious observation that Valentine is an idiot, does he want…
He wants what he’s getting, free exposure.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟888,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But there can't be many Jews, or people who at least identify as Jewish who do not support 'the development and protection of a Jewish nation in what is now Israel.' (dictionary definition).
No, there are many religious Jews, both inside Israel and elsewhere, who vehemently oppose the existence of Israel.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟888,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think the basic idea of Zionism was, after centuries of brutal persecutions, to establish a Jewish country where they wouldnt be subject to such perennial abuse.

Taken at face value, I'm for that. But there's 2 problems:

1. Non Jewish people were living in the land they (and others) chose.
Jewish people were living there too.
Those people would either have to go, or stay in a state defined by their "type" remaining a permanent minority.
No, it's not an either/or like that. Twenty percent of the population of Israel is Arab/Muslim, and in terms of quality of life, they do much better than their nearby Arab neighbors. Arabs could have just chosen to live in peace, but they chose war.
2. It seems to have taken on a "manifest destiny" character where Israelis in power seem to want all of the ancient lands where their scriptural ancestors dwelt, where it seems a lot of non Jews currently live.
It's a small minority of religious Jews who want all of the ancient lands, and they are not in power.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟264,585.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
He wants what he’s getting, free exposure.
That did cross my mind. They say any publicity is good publicity. But...having checked out their website it appears to be a reasonably upmarket place. So I'm not sure he'd gain any custom by his actions. But he'd possibly lose some.

I did leave a Google review. But said I couldn't actually comment on the place as I'm not allowed in being a Zionist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟440,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Jewish people were living there too.
Sure. But thats not a problem, which is why it didnt make it into my list of problems. Non Jews otoh who constitutionally need to remain in minority status - thats a problem by typical western civics standards where people shouldnt be sorted by race or religion in relation to the state.
No, it's not an either/or like that. Twenty percent of the population of Israel is Arab/Muslim, and in terms of quality of life, they do much better than their nearby Arab neighbors. Arabs could have just chosen to live in peace, but they chose war.
It is an either or like that. Whats the third or fourth alternative to the two I mentioned? Stay in a state thats defined as "not for you". or leave.
It's a small minority of religious Jews who want all of the ancient lands, and they are not in power.
They seem to have ascended to power of late. "Manifest destiny" seems to be the part you just dont say 'out loud'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟264,585.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, there are many religious Jews, both inside Israel and elsewhere, who vehemently oppose the existence of Israel.
Whut? Well, there is this:

'Jews who criticize or oppose Zionism are usually from fringe Orthodox sects and maintain that Israel can only be regained miraculously. Jewish anti-Zionists usually firmly believe in the Jewish right to the Land of Israel, but only at the future time of redemption.' Anti-Zionism Among Jews

Can't see those guys queuing up outside a Salt Lake City bar to sample the owners latest cherry flavoured cider.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,212,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Can't see those guys queuing up outside a Salt Lake City bar to sample the owners latest cherry flavoured cider.
With a total of 6,000ish Jews in the entire state of Utah it’s unlikely any one of any flavor frequented the place to begin with.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟888,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Like how common a position is that? Any data?
No I don't know any exact numbers. You can look it up if interested, but you can see them having a beef with their fellow Jews in D.C. a few months ago.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟264,585.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
With a total of 6,000ish Jews in the entire state of Utah it’s unlikely any one of any flavor frequented the place to begin with.
These guys might get a free beer:

images.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟888,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sure. But thats not a problem, which is why it didnt make it into my list of problems. Non Jews otoh who constitutionally need to remain in minority status - thats a problem by typical western civics standards where people shouldnt be sorted by race or religion in relation to the state.

It is an either or like that. Whats the third or fourth alternative to the two I mentioned? Stay in a state thats defined as "not for you". or leave.
I don't know what you're talking about. Non-Jews in Israel have all the rights Jews have. They serve the in the Israeli parliament and on their Supreme Court.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟888,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They seem to have ascended to power of late. "Manifest destiny" seems to be the part you just dont say 'out loud'.
Sorry, this part of your quote got cut out. Are you saying they want to rule Gaza? Who in their right mind would want to rule Gaza? Israel pulled out many years ago. And they got rewarded with a massive underground terror base from which to attack them.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟264,585.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Quite the trip for a drink.
Just had a weird moment...

Wife waiting to go to the gym. Hang on I say, nearly ready. Give me a minute. Why, she says. What are you actually doing?

Um...I'm checking to see how many othodox synagogues there are in central Salt Lake City...

A sigh and a slow shake of the head.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟440,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, this part of your quote got cut out. Are you saying they want to rule Gaza? Who in their right mind would want to rule Gaza? Israel pulled out many years ago. And they got rewarded with a massive underground terror base from which to attack them.
Im thinking more of west bank areas where the "patriarchs" walked. Im not aware of any particular ideological interest in Gaza.

Upvote 0