Riley Gaines threatens ‘legal action’ after being attacked by trans-rights activists during SF State speech

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟344,285.00
Faith
Pentecostal
People are free to label things however they want, but "assault" has a specific legal definition under California law. If she wants to pursue legal avenues regarding assault, then she must prove that she was legally assaulted.
True, but as we have seen many times including the BLM riots when there is a mob of people and someone from the mob assaults you it's pretty are to say who did it. Someone in the mob did. But who? If you are trying to run away it's pretty are to know. And police are more focused on just getting in-between her and the mob and getting her safe into a room that it's pretty impossible to know who the person was that assaulted her either.

So I believe she was assaulted. But by who? I don't think that question will ever be answered.

And I hope Gaines does sue and wins. For the police to stand outside and do nothing while a disorderly mob holds a girl hostage in a room while she fears for her safety for an hour? And no one is arrested? This is ridiculous and out of control. This country has to stop giving in to this type of behavior.

The inmates are running the asylum.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟218,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When this lady got surrounded at a restaurant was being told to "put up the first and chant Black Lives Matter", the group doing that was a group of obnoxious white activists.
I remember that - she didn't and nothing more happened.

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟218,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Swimmer Riley Gaines on Saturday threatened to take “legal action” after saying she was assaulted by trans-rights protesters during a speech about protecting women’s sports at San Francisco State University.

“The campus police did nothing. The dean of students was there and did nothing. There will be no repercussions unless I have something to do with it,” Gaines told “Fox & Friends Weekend” host Rachel Campos-Duffy.

“I will be pursuing legal action. These people need to face repercussions.”

The former NCAA swimmer and 12-time All-American champ said a mob of demonstrators attacked her while she spoke about including trans athletes in women’s sports during Thursday’s Turning Points USA event at SF State.

Dramatic video Gaines shared on Twitter shows her being ushered out of a classroom and into a hallway by security as protesters chase after her.

One of the activists get in front of her and shouts, “Trans rights are human rights” and “Yeah, you f–king transphobic b----, — I f–king see you!”
So were there repercussions for the mob? She claims that she was hit twice on the shoulder.

Of course this is unacceptable.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,222,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So were there repercussions for the mob? She claims that she was hit twice on the shoulder.

Of course this is unacceptable.
I would think there should be something... However, that's probably dependent on being able to get the names of the people involved.

And the region it occurs in likely plays a role in how heavily or leniently charges are in cases where controversial right-wing speakers are "confronted". (and the same tends to be true going in the other direction)

For instance, when a right-wing speaker was squirted with lavender oil from a squirt gun in Missouri, the person who did it got 3 charges (assault, destruction of property, and public disturbance)

However, they had full blown riots at Berkely over Milo speaking there (riot as in, massive destruction of property, lighting cars on fire)
1681234709414.png

And a man using bear mace a young woman for wearing a MAGA hat
1681234779311.png

The legal consequences of that were minimal in comparison (with the girl who got pepper sprayed in the video having her lawsuit against the perp and UC Berkely) assigned to Berkely Alumni Judge (Claudia Wilken - who's also received awards from her alma mater) who dismissed the case.

So you can kinda see the disparity (that seems way out of whack in terms of the offense committed) in justice there with regards to whether left-wing protestors get the book thrown at them for something minor, or get the kid gloves treatment.

Left-wing protestor squirts essential oil at Michael Knowles in a red state, gets arrested and catches 3 charges for it.

Left-wing protestor helps light a car on fire and sprays a woman with pepper spray in a blue-friendly area, doesn't get arrested, and when sued privately, the case gets assigned to a "friendly" judge who has an existing relationship with one of the entities being sued, who tosses the case.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,222,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If she was attached, can ID the person. Then she should turn them in. I'm guessing it will be plee deal to a lesser charge.
Perhaps, but maybe not.

It all depends on the jurisdiction they're in.

Per my previous post, the spectrum is pretty wide...
Ranging from "getting 3 charges against you for spraying someone with a squirt gun" to "having a judge who went to your same college tossing out the case when you've sprayed someone with bear mace"

There's a lot of partisan preferential treatment and unfairness going in both directions, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As you have just demonstrated it's difficult to argue against the truth.
You offered no evidence to contradict.

All you did was offer a sound bite.
To what "truth" do you refer? All I saw from you was a gut feeling and some histrionic, straw man verbiage.
Well as we are seeing the transgenders are getting more aggressive and more violent.
All you need to do is cite a statistic demonstrating that to be a fact. After that, we can consider if "the truth".
All because we don't want to be forced to use pronouns that don't fit,
If only that was the case. What I see is people going out of their way to degrade and dehumanize people they think are icky.
we won't let them destroy children
Another opinion. Funny enough people are calling for the eradication of trans people because some parents brought their kids to a drag show, but 300 children dead from school shootings (you know, actually destroying children) elicits a shrug.
The mob was out of control, but surely you don't go by any standard of, "if it's not on video it didn't happen."
Some of us prefer to go with evidence rather than gut feelings. Why I'm saying is I saw no assault on that video. It's entirely possible an assault happened off camera, but you'd think an officer would have intervened.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟465,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read the article. Someone please explain, Is Riley Gains a trans/hybrid person? :scratch:
No. Riley Gaines is a female swimmer, one of the best in the country. She began speaking out against the unfairness of having a 6'4" biological male who swam on the men's team for three years suddenly competing with and beating most of the female swimmers in the 4th year after identifying as "Lia" Thomas.

She has been attacked ever since.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,222,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The fact that Ana Kasperian and Cenk from the Young Turks (a very left-leaning progressive outlet) covered this on their show yesterday, and said that the protestors that were going after Riley were in the wrong - and not helping their cause by behaving this way - is a pretty strong indicator that the trans activists were out of line on this one.

As someone who consumes media from across the political spectrum... Cenk and Ana will often defend the left at all costs (and are diligent in doing so with tracking down facts and citations to disprove right-wing talking points as the main objective)

If they're both conceding that the protestors were wrong on this (and I'm sure it's not from lack of looking for reasons to do otherwise), it would seem as if this one is pretty cut & dry for who was in the wrong in this exchange.

And they actually touched on an additional aspect that many of the right leaning outlets haven't even pick up on yet (and I'll give them kudos for playing it honest on this one and exposing an additional fact about it that could potentially make their own side look bad), which is that some of the protestors were floating the idea of making her pay a ransom to get out of the room they had her trapped in (and even provided the video of that exchange taking place where they floated the idea)

Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,421,371.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No. Riley Gaines is a female swimmer, one of the best in the country. She began speaking out against the unfairness of having a 6'4" biological male who swam on the men's team for three years suddenly competing with and beating most of the female swimmers in the 4th year after identifying as "Lia" Thomas.

She has been attacked ever since.
Yes, someone else had responded. What I do not understand is how people can support a biological male (by his genetics) competing against biological females. It makes no logical sense imho.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People are free to label things however they want, but "assault" has a specific legal definition under California law. If she wants to pursue legal avenues regarding assault, then she must prove that she was legally assaulted.
I think you might want to rephrase that. I don't know as the category "legally assaulted " exists. I expect you meant that she must show that what happened meets the legal definition of assault.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟344,285.00
Faith
Pentecostal
To what "truth" do you refer? All I saw from you was a gut feeling and some histrionic, straw man verbiage.

All you need to do is cite a statistic demonstrating that to be a fact. After that, we can consider if "the truth".

If only that was the case. What I see is people going out of their way to degrade and dehumanize people they think are icky.

Another opinion. Funny enough people are calling for the eradication of trans people because some parents brought their kids to a drag show, but 300 children dead from school shootings (you know, actually destroying children) elicits a shrug.

Some of us prefer to go with evidence rather than gut feelings. Why I'm saying is I saw no assault on that video. It's entirely possible an assault happened off camera, but you'd think an officer would have intervened.

How many people have to be killed for you to accept the truth. Would you consider the shooting to be a lie?

Is this a lie too?

WATCH: Transgender woman punches and knocks down larger 'transphobic' man

I could find more if you needed. There have been other shooting by transgender people. One for sure as revenge. This speaker was assaulted by transgenderism supporters.

How long are you going to perpetuate a lie? The eradication of transgender people? You are either ignorant or perpetuating something you know is a lie. Which is it?

You perpetuate another lie on school shootings. No one has shrugged it away. In fact a lot of ideas have been provided only to be rejected. I guess we know who is actually doing the shrugging.

When you stop perpetuating lies then we can be free to consider your views.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟465,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, someone else had responded. What I do not understand is how people can support a biological male (by his genetics) competing against biological females. It makes no logical sense imho.
It is not logical in any way. Some delusional people are in charge, supporting this nonsense.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,222,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is not logical in any way. Some delusional people are in charge, supporting this nonsense.
I don't think the people in charge are "delusional".

I think it's a case where the people in charge are trying to be accommodating, but haven't struck the right balance yet with regards to the extent certain ideological differences should be accommodated.

That's not necessarily unique to this topic, there are a plethora of ideologies, both religious and non-religious (for which there isn't public consensus) that we accommodate to a certain degree, but stop short of giving carte blanche.

I would say on this particular subject, some in positions of power are erroring more towards the latter, and that's causing some problems and backlash. Like many other things, the degree of backlash seems to have a regional component...as do many things where it's a policy that's being set on the state level instead of the local level.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟319,127.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well as we are seeing the transgenders are getting more aggressive and more violent. All because we don't want to be forced to use pronouns that don't fit, we won't let them destroy children or invade women's spaces.
We haven’t seen the video from before the point shown. We don’t know the context (which is important, I’m reliably informed). Not knowing what led up to the asserted violent assault we should not jump to conclusions.

How do we know that this swimmer didn’t spit at the protesters or launch into a viscous visceral verbal tirade threatening g the protesters families?

We may never know the full story but let’s hesitate before we count out chickens before they come home to roost, I expect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟667,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We haven’t seen the video from before the point shown. We don’t know the context (which is important, I’m reliably informed). Not knowing what led up to the asserted violent assault we should not jump to conclusions.

How do we know that this swimmer didn’t spit at the protesters or launch into a viscous visceral verbal tirade threatening g the protesters families?

We may never know the full story but let’s hesitate before we count out chickens before they come home to roost, I expect.
There were CCTV cameras in the school that Riley Gaines could use to prove that she was assaulted, but that would depend on the San Francisco school (which has only shown support for her attackers) cooperating and allowing her the camera footage, assuming it hasn't been conveniently erased.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟443,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Last time an angry mob chased someone down the street....he killed several of them, shot another, and that resulted in the perpetually smooth brained seeking his imprisonment.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is a lot of confusion regarding trans/hybrids. People get into trouble by using the wrong pronouns.
It seems like you're trying to be insulting, but the second word doesn't mean what you appear to think it means.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,421,371.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It seems like you're trying to be insulting, but the second word doesn't mean what you appear to think it means.
You have your opinion, and I respect that. Now what you think I think about the meaning of the word is your opinion.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.