United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
***Note this is posted in the LIBERAL CHRISTIAN faith forum***

Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II gave a full-blown, Old Testament style call to national repentance using the prophet Amos as the sermon today at the National Cathedral, which I thought might be of interest to some of the people here. It's about 40 minutes long (or more--I didn't make it all the way to the end), but quite powerful:

[Edit: In case the timestamp isn't working, the service starts at 15:56 minutes and the sermon at 49:39 minutes.]

He is apparently one of the leaders of the Poor People's Campaign, which appears to be a recent religious left social justice movement. I signed up to support them, and this was the message about the movement that they were asking to have spread:

Over the past several months, the Poor People's Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival has taken up Rev. Dr. Martin Luther's King's call for a "revolution of values" in this country. Led by Rev. Dr. William Barber, II, Rev. Dr. Liz Theoharis and state-based grassroots community members, clergy and people of conscience, the Campaign has brought thousands of people together to confront the realities of systemic racism, poverty, ecological devastation, militarism and a rampant war economy and a distorted moral narrative that perpetuates these injustices.

There are 140 million people who are poor or struggling in this country and we are organizing from the ground up in dozens of states to fight poverty, not the poor. This isn't about just helping out people going through hard times; it is about turning this country around so we can all have what we need to live and thrive.

Learn more about the Campaign at poorpeoplescampaign.org. Read its Moral Agenda here https://www.poorpeoplescampaign.org/demands/. Check out where they've been and where they're going. And join me in this historic effort to revive the heart and soul of this nation.

Last edited:

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
***Note this is posted in the LIBERAL CHRISTIAN faith forum***

Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II gave a full-blown, Old Testament style call to national repentance using the prophet Amos as the sermon today at the National Cathedral, which I thought might be of interest to some of the people here. It's about 40 minutes long (or more--I didn't make it all the way to the end), but quite powerful:

He is apparently one of the leaders of the Poor People's Campaign, which appears to be a recent religious left social justice movement. I signed up to support them, and this was the message about the movement that they were asking to have spread:

Over the past several months, the Poor People's Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival has taken up Rev. Dr. Martin Luther's King's call for a "revolution of values" in this country. Led by Rev. Dr. William Barber, II, Rev. Dr. Liz Theoharis and state-based grassroots community members, clergy and people of conscience, the Campaign has brought thousands of people together to confront the realities of systemic racism, poverty, ecological devastation, militarism and a rampant war economy and a distorted moral narrative that perpetuates these injustices.

There are 140 million people who are poor or struggling in this country and we are organizing from the ground up in dozens of states to fight poverty, not the poor. This isn't about just helping out people going through hard times; it is about turning this country around so we can all have what we need to live and thrive.

Learn more about the Campaign at poorpeoplescampaign.org. Read its Moral Agenda here https://www.poorpeoplescampaign.org/demands/. Check out where they've been and where they're going. And join me in this historic effort to revive the heart and soul of this nation.
I love Reverend Barber! I saw him speak once, he brought a crowd of thousands to tears. We were all on our feet clapping, cheering, crying.

Reactions: Silmarien
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It might help people to know that the sermon begins at 16 minutes in, after numerous instrumental organ pieces, appeals for donations, explanations that the cathedral remains closed due to public health concerns, etc.

Hmm, did you go straight to Youtube or something? The sermon itself starts at just under 50 minutes in... I tried to set it up so that it would start there automatically, though it seems to be about ten seconds off. I don't remember anything at 16 minutes in, though I'll need to go check. Not sure why it'd send you to the beginning at all, unless there's some weird browser shenanigans going on.

[edit] Or do you mean that the service itself starts at 16 minutes in, in case someone wants to watch the whole thing? I always start it at 11:15, since that's the official start time, so I didn't know there was anything going on beforehand at all. ^_^

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟434,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure how to answer this. Are we looking at the same video? :confused: It doesn't seem so. Anyway, I skipped the intro stuff and went directly to the reverend's greeting (the first thing that looked like the part of some sort of service; maybe it wasn't...sorry, I don't know anything about Episcopalianism), which was at 16 minutes in, where he greets everyone who is watching.

Either way, it seems that the timestamp you tried to set it by didn't work. I did not go directly to YouTube. This is using the embedded player that is generated in this thread. Strange.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not sure how to answer this. Are we looking at the same video? :confused: It doesn't seem so. Anyway, I skipped the intro stuff and went directly to the reverend's greeting (the first thing that looked like the part of some sort of service; maybe it wasn't...sorry, I don't know anything about Episcopalianism), which was at 16 minutes in, where he greets everyone who is watching.

Either way, it seems that the timestamp you tried to set it by didn't work. I did not go directly to YouTube. This is using the embedded player that is generated in this thread. Strange.

Oh, I see. Yeah, it's the dean who is speaking at about 16 minutes in, so we're probably watching the same video. There's usually a short talk at the beginning of the service at the National Cathedral, but the actual sermon starts at 49:39, so just jump ahead if you want to watch it. :) I'll leave a note in case the timestamp is giving other people trouble too.

• Informative
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0