Proverbs 12:23 > the prudent person conceals knowledge . . .

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟687,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think looking at the whole verse:
"A prudent man concealeth knowledge; But the heart of fools proclaimeth foolishness."
It is trying to say that we shouldn't always flaunt what we know, as opposed to always saying something, even when you don't know. (Like I'm doing now. :))

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, Jack :)

I think of how I have shared with very kind and humble people, and they would treat me with honor, even. And then I would discover they are a professor, or a doctor, very well-to-do, or someone else considered to be very important. But they would have the time of day to share with me, and even listen to what I had to say about God's word.

They would conceal how much they know and how important they are . . . in society.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟687,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, just recently I was talking with a new neighbor about electric cars. I know very little about them, but went on and on with what little I did know. He politely listened and agreed with many of my points. Turns out he not only owns an electric car (I don't) he works in the industry. He didn't flaunt his knowledge or try to show off. It really gave me a good impression of him. Such a nice change from the people who feel they must always show how much they know.

There is so much wisdom in the Bible, it constantly amazes me.

• Friendly
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟135,053.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi :)

In Proverbs 12:23 we have that "The prudent man conceals knowledge".

What does this mean, and how do we practice this?

Thanks, and God bless us :)

I view it as casting pearls before swine. This means often you're wasting your time with people who won't listen. So why bother?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi :)

In Proverbs 12:23 we have that "The prudent man conceals knowledge".

What does this mean, and how do we practice this?

Thanks, and God bless us :)

The word translated "prudent" here also means "sensible." A person with good sense does not feel led to ramble about what he knows, or thinks he knows. It is wise to keep quiet about one's knowledge, waiting for the right moment to offer good advice.

In that restraint, a person shows humility. In contrast, a fool is quick to speak, likely to spit out something inane rather than helpful. Such a person is vain and ignorant (Proverbs 12:16). He mistakes his foolish counsel as wisdom that he feels compelled to share with anyone within earshot (Proverbs 13:16).

Upvote 0