WI
✟126,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello folks. Sometimes the truth hurts. Hebrews 4:12, Ephesians 4:29, and three different passages from Proverbs tell us that receiving truth may sting, or even hurt for a while, but will better ourselves in the Christian journey.

This is a companion analysis, about lies: Ephesians 4:25 & Isaiah 8:11-15 - Avoiding Lies and Conspiracies

Date
May 5, 2024​
Verse
Hebrews 4:12 (ESV): "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. "

Ephesians 4:29 (ESV): "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."

Proverbs 20:30 (ESV): "Blows that wound cleanse away evil; strokes make clean the innermost parts."

Proverbs 27:5-6 (ESV): "Better is open rebuke than hidden love. Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy."

Proverbs 28:23 (ESV): "Whoever rebukes a man will afterward find more favor than he who flatters with his tongue."​
Explanation
These five passages from the Bible speak to the power and importance of both the spoken word of God and the truth found within it. The passages in Hebrews 4:12 and Proverbs 20:30 emphasize that the word of God is living and active, able to penetrate deep into our souls and reveal our thoughts and intentions. This penetrating truth can sometimes sting or hurt as it exposes areas of our lives that need healing or growth.
Ephesians 4:29 and Proverbs 27:5-6 highlight the importance of speaking the truth in love and the benefits it brings to those who hear it. The passages suggest that the words we speak should be uplifting, building up those around us, and bringing healing and grace. However, this does not mean that the truth will always be easy to hear or that it will never cause discomfort.
The medical analogy can help illustrate this concept. When a wound occurs, an antiseptic solution may be applied to clean the area and prevent infection. This process can be painful, but it is necessary for the wound to heal properly. Similarly, when we receive the truth from scripture or from a well-intentioned friend, it may sting or hurt initially, but it is necessary for spiritual growth and healing.

Growing pains in our bones serve as another analogy. As we grow, our bones undergo stress and discomfort as they adapt to new sizes and shapes. This process can be painful, but it is necessary for our physical development. In the same way, the truth can cause spiritual growing pains as we are challenged to expand our understanding of our faith journey.
Societal Relevance
To receive the truth without being offended as listeners, it is essential to approach it with an open mind and a humble heart. We can practice active listening, seeking to understand the intent behind the words rather than focusing on any perceived offense. Additionally, we can remember that the truth is given to us out of love and with the intention of bringing healing and growth. Strategies to cope with the truth as Christians may include:​
  1. Prayerfully seeking understanding: When we receive the truth, we can pray for wisdom and understanding, asking God to help us see the situation from His perspective.
  2. Practicing forgiveness: If we have been offended, we can choose to practice forgiveness, focusing on the intention behind the words rather than the hurt they may have caused.
  3. Seeking out wise counsel: We can seek out trusted friends or spiritual mentors for guidance and support as we navigate the truths we encounter.
  4. Practicing self-reflection: We can reflect on the areas of our lives where the truth may be challenging us and use it as an opportunity for growth and healing.
  5. Remembering the bigger picture: We can keep in mind the ultimate goal of our faith journey – to grow closer to God and become the best version of ourselves – and use this perspective to help us embrace the truths that may initially be difficult to receive.
For myself, it was, and still is sometimes difficult for me to receive constructive feedback, or the truth in general, as it sometimes hurt. In October 2023, I asked a Christian friend about what the cause of autism is, in a Biblical sense, and what I can do about it. He explained to me that autism is a byproduct of the fallen world caused by Satan, when the serpent tempted man to turn from God, as suffering was described in the Bible. This rebellion lead to diseases in humanity. This part of the truth stung, and it did for a few weeks, but I then reflected on the second part of his explanation where he told me that Jesus can help anyone overcome disability, whether that through improvements in this life, or in Heaven.

For those who can not overcome their disabilities, he referenced the Parable of The Widow’s Two Mites, where a woman who had a net worth of only a few mites, but her actions for giving a two coins was revered by Jesus over the rich man who gave out a portion of his wealth. This parable means that some people may not be blessed with money, no disabilities, or easy to make friendships, but God looks at our intentions. If a person with a disability gave it his all, God understands. My Christian friend told the truth which hurt, but in the following weeks and months, it has helped me to realize that my disability is no less in God’s eyes, even though it was caused by the fall of man, which neither is my own fault or my ancestor's fault, except Adam & Eve’s, and that Jesus will guide us on Earth, and equalize us all in the life to come.​