San Diego California.
✟1,062.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I insist that gay marriage represents the greatest form of legalized child abuse ever written into law, because social experiments in other countries that allow gay marriage have shown that adult children of gay parents suffer from high rates of depression, anxiety and divorce.
Because gay marriage is a child-endangerment issue and not a religious issue, we must gear our efforts towards saving the child from being raised in these families. When will the Proposition 8 people realize this? when will they realize gay marriage is a child-endangerment issue, and when will they begin to air commercials on TV and radio showing this?

Because Proposition 8 organizations are lacking in the creative endeavor with respect to the promotion of Proposition 8, then it will be the fault of the people running the Proposition efforts when the Proposition is defeated in November. It will not be the gay community's fault.

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, as to the thread title, what you say "must" occur is becoming increasingly unlikely. Current polls show the proposition going down to defeat 54-40%. Historically, California propositions start with the higest support they will garner as people think at first "this seems like a good idea" then goes down in response to opposition advertising and organizing as people think further. Very few start with low support as this one did and reverse that trend.

I insist that gay marriage represents the greatest form of legalized child abuse ever written into law, because social experiments in other countries that allow gay marriage have shown that adult children of gay parents suffer from high rates of depression, anxiety and divorce.

That sounds kind of like trying to ban NASCAR because Dale Earnhardt Sr. died in a wreck on the track. Plus, if you hadn't noticed, heterosexual marriages also produce adult children who have high rates of depression, anxiety, and divorce.

Because gay marriage is a child-endangerment issue and not a religious issue, we must gear our efforts towards saving the child from being raised in these families.

It sounds like a game-changer at first glance, but, more correctly it's an example of the "throw everything we can at them and see what sticks" strategy which seldom works. Kind of like the Palin choice, IMO.

When will the Proposition 8 people realize this? when will they realize gay marriage is a child-endangerment issue, and when will they begin to air commercials on TV and radio showing this?

You are certainly free to communicate with them about this.

Because Proposition 8 organizations are lacking in the creative endeavor with respect to the promotion of Proposition 8, then it will be the fault of the people running the Proposition efforts when the Proposition is defeated in November. It will not be the gay community's fault.

Well, yes and no. Selling a proposition involves selling yourself. The uninvolved voter generally weighs the groups supporting and opposing propositions in considering how they vote. LGBTs are generally perceived as more likeable and positive than those that favor this proposition and very little can change that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

I insist that gay marriage represents the greatest form of legalized child abuse ever written into law,
We really need an eye rolling smiley for statements like this

because social experiments in other countries that allow gay marriage have shown that adult children of gay parents suffer from high rates of depression, anxiety and divorce.
That is an amazing claim. Particularly since all the published evidence says the opposite. Care to back up your claims with evidence?

Because gay marriage is a child-endangerment issue and not a religious issue, we must gear our efforts towards saving the child from being raised in these families. When will the Proposition 8 people realize this? when will they realize gay marriage is a child-endangerment issue, and when will they begin to air commercials on TV and radio showing this?
Because doing so would break truth in advertising laws

Reactions: GryffinSong
Upvote 0

Bamboo_Chicken

Once a Steffi, forever a Bamboo Chicken
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Heterosexual marriages also produce adult children who have high rates of depression, anxiety, and divorce.
That is an amazing claim. Particularly since all the published evidence says the opposite. Care to back up your claims with evidence?
This is what I would have said too...:).

Upvote 0

Andreusz

Aug 10, 2008
South Africa
✟9,551.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

The first country to legalize gay marriage was the Netherlands, which did so in 2001. Therefore any adult children of gay parents must have been at least 13 years old when gay marriage was introduced. By the age of 13, the character is fairly definitely formed, so if it is true that 'adult children of gay parents suffer from high rates of depression, anxiety and divorce', it must have been the lack of gay marriage that made these children particularly susceptible to these things.

Upvote 0

Andreusz

Aug 10, 2008
South Africa
✟9,551.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
All my experience is that homosexuals have suffered abuse, either from a father or from a relationship with someone of the opposite sex.
But thats just my personal experience.

I have never been abused, either by my father or by a member of the opposite sex. The only abuse I ever suffered is that I was persecuted at school because I was perceived as being gay. (I certainly wasn't open about my sexuality as a teenager.)

My best friend was sexually abused by one of his teachers in his early teens, and he is completely heterosexual.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
All my experience is that homosexuals have suffered abuse, either from a father or from a relationship with someone of the opposite sex.

Unless you're talking about yourself that's not much of an "experience". LGBTs do not frequently tell such things to strangers just at random, except maybe for some provocative persons who would lie just as soon as tell the truth.

Maybe that would explain how it is some lesbians always eat take out food because they can't cook because their daddies didn't drive the U-Haul and hook up the oven.

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Never been abused, never had a relationship with the opposite sex.

Still homosexual.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have never been abused, either by my father or by a member of the opposite sex. The only abuse I ever suffered is that I was persecuted at school because I was perceived as being gay. (I certainly wasn't open about my sexuality as a teenager.)

My best friend was sexually abused by one of his teachers in his early teens, and he is completely heterosexual.

I could've said the same thing, except the friend's abuser was a youth pastor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Brightmorningstar has a point of sorts; don't be too quick to put him down. An abnormally high percentage of the gay people I knew in face-to-face "real life" (as opposed to Internet contacts) came from abusive family situations -- on a guess, around 40-45%. I suspect that's an artifact of the group I was working with -- troubled teens and young adults -- plus a rather odd community (rapidly growing Army town) -- rather than an unbiased sample. It does not hold up with the much larger group of gay people who feel comfortable being out on the Internet than of those willing to be out to me in a rather homophobic community. But I can accept BMS's statement as a valid conclusion from his own experience, with the same caveat that I bring to my own.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Brightmorningstar has a point of sorts; don't be too quick to put him down. An abnormally high percentage of the gay people I knew in face-to-face "real life" (as opposed to Internet contacts) came from abusive family situations -- on a guess, around 40-45%. I suspect that's an artifact of the group I was working with -- troubled teens and young adults -- plus a rather odd community (rapidly growing Army town) -- rather than an unbiased sample. It does not hold up with the much larger group of gay people who feel comfortable being out on the Internet than of those willing to be out to me in a rather homophobic community. But I can accept BMS's statement as a valid conclusion from his own experience, with the same caveat that I bring to my own.

I disagree. I regarded the post as an attempt to stigmatize LGBTs. It appeared to make the assumption that people are all nominally heterosexual and somehow something in the childhood process (abuse in his opinion) "caused" folks to turn LGBT. Perhaps he has the cause and effect reversed. Lesbian-identified girls and gay-identified boys are often subjected to abuse because of their sexual orientation. Kevin Sessums' memoir of his childhood, Mississippi Sissy and similar works provide ample evidence.

I think though Polycarp you are right, the sample is invalid because it included publicly out LGBTs only, not deeply closeted individuals like many conservative politicians and clergy for instance.

In rural America, willingly publicly Out LGBTs include primarily an underclass and a tiny elite and exclude many of the striving middle class and upper middle class who are deep undercover....the elementary principal who lives with the librarian as a "roommate" and both sing in the choir at First Baptist Church and people say they're "maiden ladies" for instance...yeah, right;)

Upvote 0

Holy Roller

Aug 29, 2008
San Diego California.
✟1,062.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Never been abused, never had a relationship with the opposite sex.

Still homosexual.
You know and I know that gay dudes and dudettes were born that way, and that most people--whether religious or not--know that.
Still, there's that tiny minority that's giving us Jews and Christians a bad rap with this misinformation. The misinformation that gay dudes choose this lifestyle.

Upvote 0