People say Charismatic Catholics are Jesus-Freaks?

Timothi

May 9, 2010
Fuessen, Bavaria
✟18,156.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hi

have you also encountered that some traditional Catholic say about the Charismatic Catholics that they're Jesus-Freaks or Begots? Or even that they're a cult?
I've often heard that, and it makes me kinda sad. What is wrong with loving Jesus and having joy worshopping Him?

Tim

waterlemona

Dec 26, 2008
✟18,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi

have you also encountered that some traditional Catholic say about the Charismatic Catholics that they're Jesus-Freaks or Begots? Or even that they're a cult?
I've often heard that, and it makes me kinda sad. What is wrong with loving Jesus and having joy worshopping Him?

Tim

I've never heard that. :( I'm not Charismatic but I have some friends who are.
My priest always says that we should all strive to be Jesus freaks :) I consider it a compliment.

Upvote 0

Basha21

Jul 10, 2014
Virginia
✟281.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
I've never heard that. :( I'm not Charismatic but I have some friends who are.
My priest always says that we should all strive to be Jesus freaks :) I consider it a compliment.

I like your priest, he has the right idea! If we love the Lord, we should all be Jesus Freaks! Fly your Freak Flag!

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi

Tim

Charismatic Catholics are not freaks, a little excitable but the RCC has no problem with them, just a few reservations.

The future Pope Benedict, then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, speaking about ecclesial movements in general:

we must not allow the establishment of a blasé enlightenment that immediately brands the zeal of those seized by the Holy Spirit and their naïve faith in God’s Word with the anathema of fundamentalism, allowing only a faith for which the ifs, ands, and buts become more important than the substance of what is believed. [1] (The Charismatic Renewal and the Catholic Church)​

Rome actually likes them, Holy Spirit Renewal has become popular in Florence Italy, the birthplace of the Renaissance.

An army of ecclesiastical figures have been to annual assemblies of the Charismatic Renewal at Rimini, from cardinals and bishops on down to a yearly cadre of five to seven hundred priests and nuns, especially since the Italian Bishops’ Conference gave its seal of approval to the Statutes of the Renewal in the Holy Spirit.​

Holy Spirit Renewal isn't anything new, it's what Christians are supposed to do, the Charismatics are just the latest thing.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0
D

Digout

Hi

Tim

Emotional outbursts with loud voices do not represent Jesus whom we should accept as our model!

Upvote 0

ChesterKhan

No, Emotions are not a good reason!
Jul 28, 2014
Omaha, NE, USA
✟7,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi

Tim

I have a friend who thinks some Protestant Charismatics or Pentecostals "invaded" the Catholic Church and are not really "Catholic". :p He does not like Charismatic Catholics much at all.

The CC Movement is only as good as its participants, in some ways. If Charismatics act like they're superior to other Catholics, even though we're all "one body", it's only natural some Catholics are going to be alienated by them.

That said, I have no problems with the Charismatic Renewal. I have no great interest in it, myself, as I am more of a rationalist. But if St. Pope John Paul II approved of it, I can't imagine it is too bad. :)

Upvote 0
D

Digout

I have a friend who thinks some Protestant Charismatics or Pentecostals "invaded" the Catholic Church and are not really "Catholic". :p He does not like Charismatic Catholics much at all.

The CC Movement is only as good as its participants, in some ways. If Charismatics act like they're superior to other Catholics, even though we're all "one body", it's only natural some Catholics are going to be alienated by them.

)

It is misguided relapse of notorious Corinthian church problem!

Upvote 0

Basha21

Jul 10, 2014
Virginia
✟281.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Hi

Tim

I remember many years ago when I got filled with the Holy Spirit and became a charismatic, people used to say that all the time. And I decided then--Hey, I'm PROUD to be known as a Jesus Freak!

The world talks about their "freak flag waving", well, Baby, my JESUS FREAK FLAG IS WAVING and I'm happy about it!

It is sad that they believe that way. But satan has blinded their eyes and they are living in a lot less than God has for them. Hopefully they will see the difference in our "freaky" lifestyle and see the love that has been shed abroad in our hearts through Christ Jesus and come along for the ride!

All we have to do is read the Book of Acts to see in in evidence all over the church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

olderguy

Dedicated Follower of Lord Jesus
Apr 4, 2014
USA
✟7,937.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wow, times sure have changed. Okay, I'm going to date myself by saying this, because when I became a Christian I was a charismatic Christian which also made me a Jesus freak. That name doesn't bother me 1 bit. I consider it a compliment.

Today I'm a Catholic non denominational Christian.I always considered Catholics to be Christians. I understand why some people don't, but I disagree. Especially with our world the way it is, anyone who calls on the name of Jesus should all be 1 faith family, regardless of other differences. Even in the decades right after Jesus left Earth, there were differences of opinion. I only found this out recently. Jesus told us to love each other as He loved us. That's what we should be doing. Not quibbling over minor differences.

Reactions: Guru03
Upvote 0

ChesterKhan

Jul 28, 2014
Omaha, NE, USA
✟7,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow, times sure have changed. Okay, I'm going to date myself by saying this, because when I became a Christian I was a charismatic Christian which also made me a Jesus freak. That name doesn't bother me 1 bit. I consider it a compliment.

Today I'm a Catholic non denominational Christian.I always considered Catholics to be Christians. I understand why some people don't, but I disagree. Especially with our world the way it is, anyone who calls on the name of Jesus should all be 1 faith family, regardless of other differences. Even in the decades right after Jesus left Earth, there were differences of opinion. I only found this out recently. Jesus told us to love each other as He loved us. That's what we should be doing. Not quibbling over minor differences.

I would not say the differences are minor. There are differences that are insurmountable, unless either the 33,000 forms of Protestantism or the Catholic Church cease to exist entirely.

That being said, the Catholic Church and Catholics faithful to her love our separated brethren. And thought there are many chasms between us, there's more than a few area we share in common. And we ought to rejoice in that. And I'd say Charismatics are one area we can and ought to celebrate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

olderguy

Apr 4, 2014
USA
✟7,937.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey ChesterKhan,

I'm been fighting this idea of differences for about 25 years. There are some insurmountable differences I know of, but they aren't really theological in nature. They were more like personal differences caused by people living in the mountains, or in the outskirts of the main areas of America.

But in terms of theological differences, my main problem with Protestantism is the idea that once a person is "saved" all the person's past, present, and future sins are automatically forgiven. Therefore, many of them see no reason to even try to control their behavior. For me, at my stage of life this is sickening. Since Catholics believe sins matter, this is what is drawing me back to Catholicism. Although there are other problems in the CC. If I can fit into the CC anymore, I probably fit best within the charismatic movement. My dearly departed mother was very much into Catholicism, and she was also a good example of a Godly woman. This is way I could never ever agree with Protestants who thought Catholicism was all wrong.

However, in my life I have observed many times that a person's belief system is secondary to how they live their life. That's why I said minor differences. Although you're right that sometimes the differences are not so minor. But each person has to be looked at individually. There are pious Protestants who are closer to God than some Catholics, and visa versa. Right now, meaning in 2014, the most important thing is how we live our lives. Our world is on the verge of falling apart. I believe America has prospered for so long only because God was on our side. I'm not so sure He's still on our side because we've been throwing God away for decades. I want to see America prosper again. I believe the only way this will happen is by each of us returning to God. That means obeying God. Doing our best to stop our sins. It's the only way.

Upvote 0

ChesterKhan

Jul 28, 2014
Omaha, NE, USA
✟7,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
:wave:

Hey ChesterKhan,

I'm been fighting this idea of differences for about 25 years. There are some insurmountable differences I know of, but they aren't really theological in nature. They were more like personal differences caused by people living in the mountains, or in the outskirts of the main areas of America.

I can think of two off the bat: the Eucharist, and the authority of Tradition. I could never be a Protestant, because the Church, even while the Apostles were alive, has always taught the Catholic teaching about those two things, and not the Protestant conception.

This is way I could never ever agree with Protestants who thought Catholicism was all wrong.

Your personal experience is cool. :)

However, in my life I have observed many times that a person's belief system is secondary to how they live their life. That's why I said minor differences.

And to a large degree, especially between Protestants, I think you're quite right.

Catholicism - and Orthodoxy - are a bit different, however, because some doctrines are also part of how we live. Moral teaching is an excellent example. And the sacraments, especially reconciliation and the Eucharist, are also.

But I see what you mean, and you have a point.

Although you're right that sometimes the differences are not so minor. But each person has to be looked at individually. There are pious Protestants who are closer to God than some Catholics, and visa versa.

That's also true. :thumbsup:

Right now, meaning in 2014, the most important thing is how we live our lives. Our world is on the verge of falling apart.

It's kind of always been falling apart. :p

I believe America has prospered for so long only because God was on our side. I'm not so sure He's still on our side because we've been throwing God away for decades. I want to see America prosper again. I believe the only way this will happen is by each of us returning to God. That means obeying God. Doing our best to stop our sins. It's the only way.

But, yes, I see what you mean. And you're right. God blesses those who bless Him.

You know who is blessing Our Lord? Asia. Africa. Poorer peoples. "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the Earth..." Seems rather pointed, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

olderguy

Apr 4, 2014
USA
✟7,937.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey ChesterKhan,

I agree with some of your points, but not all of them.

You said "It's kind of always been falling apart". Yes and no. My parents told me the 1930's were terrible because money was scarce. It's true a candy bar was a few cents, and 5 cents got you into a movie. But many people worked all weeks for 25 cents, IF they could even get a job. But America wasn't falling apart. And then WW 2 got us out of the financial depression. But in the 50's people were intoxicated thinking we were great. We only defeated Hitler because Russia attacked from the East while we hit him from the West. But in the Pacific we were losing badly. We won because we developed the A Bomb before Japan did. But most folks didn't know that. The 1950's and 60's were very moral times compared to today. It was my idiot generation who wanted to loosen the morals. In our defense, we were young and dumb. Vietnam seemed a pointless war, and many of us were killed or worse. This helped make us want to loosen morals. But it sure did backfire. I can't think of 1 couple I knew who didn't get divorced and remarried. I hope Pope Francis can find a way to let them back into the church. The terrible problem I see is that many, many protestants don't even discourage divorce and remarriage. Nor do they call living together without marriage a sin. They have totally misinterpreted the apostle Paul's teachings. This is what I mean by falling apart. It's the beginning of what I mean.

I also agree the Protestants and Catholics is Asia and Africa are more pious than us. Heck, every nation is more Godly than we are. As a whole.

I disagree that the church of the first century, maybe even the second century, even had a Eucharist. They tried to practice eating together. They called it breaking bread. In either 1 or 2 Corinthians Paul gets angry at them because some were starving and ate without waiting for the rest of the church. Other people used the wine to get drunk. There's an online course from Yale U given by a Dale Martin on the History of Christianity. I didn't pay for it so I didn't get collage credits. I was only interested in expanding my knowledge. I think the Prof is a believer, but he's also a professor. So he had to give the lectures as a professor. He didn't speak against Christianity made he made some good points. I recommend it, but only to people who have a faith that can't be shaken. When I was 32 I thought I did, but looking back I didn't yet. Now I do. One point he made was how messed up the early communion services were. A very good point he made concerned how many different forms of belief there were back then. We forget that had no mail service, no printing press, no easy forms of transportation. Even using ships took forever because most carried more cargo than passengers. So if the place you were going to would take 1 or 2 weeks, the ship stopped so often to unload cargo and get more cargo the trip might take a year. Especially if a harsh winter hit. There's a professor named Bart Ehrman who was a believer, learned ancient Greek, studied the NT and lost his faith. I pity kids who take a class with him. However, there's another professor named James White who did the same things but his faith is stronger than ever. White's main point is with the 5500 or so, NT manuscripts we have, the agreements in the manuscripts outweigh the differences tremendously. When I was 32 I intended to hand copy 1 chapter from Mark, to see how well I could do it. I made so many errors in 1 page I quit. But most of them were spelling errors. Ancient Greek had no upper or lower case letters. There was so spaces between words or sentences. The ancient scribes did an almost impossible job and they did it quite well. So by comparing all the manuscripts we have a very good idea of what the original ones said. But wen I was 32, this bothered me a long time. The Internet is a great thing if you use it correctly.

Well, I'm rambling. Sorry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
and my personal feeling is that Jesus/God/The Holy Spirit have given you His Calling to convert people/souls to Jesus (of whom are living lives together not married) - spreading His Holy Word in the ways that Jesus Christ our Saviour has chosen for you personally as His Child OlderGuy.

God's Holy callings for myself are different - yours are more difficult - shall include you in my prayers to Jesus in His Divine Mercy and our Heavenly Mother Mary's Holy Rosary,

keep faithful and endure until the end OG - don't worry about the religious aspects - Jesus' Holy Callings are priority - Jesus guides us in everything while we are completely trusting in Him.

I am loving reading your posts!

"Right now, meaning in 2014, the most important thing is how we live our lives".

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The reason for a variety of Catholic Holy Masses Blessed by Jesus/God/The Holy Spirit.

...of which Catholics are able to 'choose'.

All praise and Glory to God our Heavenly Father is most beautiful and Parishioners from their hearts during Charismatic Masses Glorify Jesus Christ our Saviour/God/The Holy Spirit.

I was told by Jesus Christ our Saviour to attend a Charismatic Mass this year in a different Parish (in Jesus/God's Holy Will) as I regularly Consecrate my Heart mind soul and body to Jesus' Sacred Heart and our Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God's Immaculate Heart.

Jesus spoke to my Heart guiding me to one of His Holy Churches in a different part of town.

I attended and was overjoyed to feel the Love, warmth, community "hearted" spirit among fellow Parishioners "Praising and Glorifying" Jesus/God/The Holy Spirit.

One of Jesus Christ our Saviour's Holy messages during this Charismatic Mass at the time was to "receive Jesus' Holy Blood" - His Divine Mercy Blood - of which Blessed me further with His Loving Holy Graces, Blessings and Gifts - that I had not been receiving at the other Holy Masses in all honesty (a germ phobia drinking out of the Holy Chalice) for quite a while.

Given the smaller Church, the packed Church yet small, all eyes appeared to be on everyone in this smaller Church receiving Jesus' Blessed Holy Sacrament of Love - His Holy Eucharist/Host/Wine - Jesus' Flesh and Blood.

I put my head down and was about to walk away from the Altar, when the 'eyes' of the Acolyte - a Lady - met mine. It was Jesus looking at me through this woman's eyes not in judgement - simply - 'expectancy in a loving yet firm way' - there was no escaping, because I had to get past this Acolyte near the narrow passage at the altar to return to the pew.

I sipped on Jesus' pre-Blessed by Him, "Holy Blood" and chuckled in Love and wonder to Jesus - thanking Jesus with all my heart - that He had guided me to this little Church during the Charismatic Holy Mass for "His" reason - not "my" will nor reason.

There are many reasons why Jesus leads His Children to His Charismatic Holy Masses.

Olderguy - many young people enjoy the Charismatic Masses and given your Holy Callings from Jesus/God/The Holy Spirit - it may be more than Healing and speaking in tongues.

I am posting this little youtube video in the event you may be interested - given your comment on marriages and divorces. I have discovered through Jesus and our Blessed Virgin Mary that satan would not have been able to destroy many marriages IF people had prayed The Holy Rosary (the greatest weapon against satan) daily during their lives together as Families (in the home and in Church) back in the 50's, 60's, 70's to date including weekly attendance of Holy Masses receiving Jesus' Blessed Holy Sacraments His Holy Eucharist from hearts in gratitude to Jesus! Because, within each of Jesus' Holy Eucharist pre-Blessed by Jesus while He is manifested in His Holy Tabernacle, Jesus fills that soul/person with His Blessings, Gifts and Graces in His Holy ?Eucharist.

www.youtube.com/user/FamilyRosaryVideo

www.americancatholic.org/Messenger/Jun1997/feature2_sidebar.asp

(Hollywood Actress Jane Wyatt and Father Peyton Holy Ministry work through Jesus and The Blessed Virgin Mary).

www.fatherpeyton.org

"A family that prays together, stays together".

Love and kindest wishes your Sister in Jesus Christ our Saviour

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iansek

Mar 18, 2015
✟7,685.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I personally dont believe in tongue speaking as it is practised by charismatics and pentecostals today. Having said that in my locality i have attended a charismatic mass and it was awesome. I was moved to tears and in total Godly sorrow over my sins. I thank God the catholic charismatics make a big deal about Jesus. Anyone who calls them Jesus freaks has obviously never met Jesus.

Upvote 0