SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not at the moment. Not until the grid is snatched away from us.
At the moment we are in the "best of both worlds" crowd seeking to become self-sufficient while still enjoying the ease of modern living. We are working to become vegetable/fruit independent. We are getting there. Meat is going to be tougher. Animals have drawbacks in an urban environment. But those barriers may disappear if a depression-era falls upon us. But I see chickens and rabbits in our future. We do not have enough land for anything larger.
We would love to go solar, but we are not convinced it would be sufficient to meet our current electrical needs. Central Air would be a thing of the past. We would attempt to maintain a very energy efficient freezer. Ice from said freezer would supply an old-timey ice box to replace the refrigerator.
Heat will have to be supplies with wood. At this time, I see no other possible source.
We already have a couple solar chargers for batteries and USB devices in the event technology is still available.
I would like to hear from people who generate enough electricity via solar to fully supply their needs. I truly want to believe!

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,608.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would like to hear from people who generate enough electricity via solar to fully supply their needs. I truly want to believe!
Hard to believe it is only roughly 70 years since much of the rural areas had no electricity other than what they manufactured with windchargers mounted on buildings to charge batteries. Harder to believe so much common sense technology has been lost in those 70 years also from when folks had no problem living off grid so to speak as it was considered normal everyday life.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hard to believe it is only roughly 70 years since much of the rural areas had no electricity other than what they manufactured with windchargers mounted on buildings to charge batteries. Harder to believe so much common sense technology has been lost in those 70 years also from when folks had no problem living off grid so to speak as it was considered normal everyday life.
Absolutely
In one of my prepping books I point out to nay-sayers that my Great Great grandparents who were mountain guides in the Adirondack mountains (1840s - 1900) prepped every day. It was not a hobby or a doomsday plan, it was a way of living. You did it or you starved to death in the coming winter. If you suggested that "preppers" and "prepping" was being fearful or paranoid, they would have laughed at you and wondered why you were still alive. People had ways to not only survive, but to thrive and live comfortably. Sad that many of these old ways have been lost simply by neglect and disuse. But they are coming back, and with the help of the Lord, if "stuff" hits the fan and we are thrust back into an 1850s environment, we will pull out those old ways restore life as it should be.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,608.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But they are coming back, and with the help of the Lord, if "stuff" hits the fan and we are thrust back into an 1850s environment, we will pull out those old ways restore life as it should be.

I agree we need those who have the forgotten knowledge. Those who think they can still go*gle it in a disaster situation are dreamers and on top of that don't realize we need be prepared a year ahead for any back to the land change.

I have an off grid backup acreage but I have come to the conclusion that in spite of the payoff of the extra work into being self sufficient, we are no longer living in the days of only one lifetime ago when this was considered normal. Today anyone so prepared would be an immediate target for looting and probably death if the world had come to that point where the majority were starving within three months let alone three days of any disaster. Common theft in rural areas is bad enough today without adding frenzy to the mix. Life ain't what it was 70 years ago. What I am saying is the work put into all this prepping can be wiped out in an instant by one rogue element. So what I have built may give peace of mind, but reality tends to follow us wherever we go.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe most people who prepare are thinking more as a way of surviving extreme situations rather than withdrawing from community and the world full time.
Good point. Our goals are first to survive until order and life back to normal. And second, if it does not return to normal, to attain self-sufficiency.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,608.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It doesn’t take a year unless you’re purchasing a little at a time and spreading it out.
Sorry. I was talking being self sufficient.. grow and maintaining your own food rather than being dependant on dwindling or as we are seeing, drastically overpriced commercial food supplies. The idea is to be less reliant on the 'system' which of course is increasingly becoming seen as traitorous.

Upvote 0

Evegpt

On my way to Heaven, one day at a time
Mar 15, 2022
Gulf coast
✟11,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
I agree we need those who have the forgotten knowledge. Those who think they can still go*gle it in a disaster situation are dreamers and on top of that don't realize we need be prepared a year ahead for any back to the land change.

I have an off grid backup acreage but I have come to the conclusion that in spite of the payoff of the extra work into being self sufficient, we are no longer living in the days of only one lifetime ago when this was considered normal. Today anyone so prepared would be an immediate target for looting and probably death if the world had come to that point where the majority were starving within three months let alone three days of any disaster. Common theft in rural areas is bad enough today without adding frenzy to the mix. Life ain't what it was 70 years ago. What I am saying is the work put into all this prepping can be wiped out in an instant by one rogue element. So what I have built may give peace of mind, but reality tends to follow us wherever we go.
Yes, I think learning every skill you can, learn about wild food to eat, have manual tools, we filled our freezers then realized we should have been laying in dried food and learning where water is available. We know where there are a couple of springs just in case. I’m going to lay in those disposable packs of honey. You could travel with those. My husband died so I’m left alone to figure all this out now.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,608.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It has been estimated 80% of urban population will die within a month of something as simple as a power failure, the human body failing after a month of no food and four days of no water. With longevity of a situation, then all one would have to do was explain how you could still be living when so many would have died, then protect yourself from marauders who see you may have supplies. Sadly no matter what anyone does, this will be the ultimate reality. Aggression has been what keeps the world moving forward. Not much wonder God plans to eliminate the self serving ways of mankind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Evegpt

On my way to Heaven, one day at a time
Mar 15, 2022
Gulf coast
✟11,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
It has been estimated 80% of urban population will die within a month of something as simple as a power failure, the human body failing after a month of no food and four days of no water. With longevity of a situation, then all one would have to do was explain how you could still be living when so many would have died, then protect yourself from marauders who see you may have supplies. Sadly no matter what anyone does, this will be the ultimate reality. Aggression has been what keeps the world moving forward. Not much wonder God plans to eliminate the self serving ways of mankind.
You didn’t live here After Katrina. You’d be amazed at how well people can cope when they have too. We personally didn’t have electricity for a month due to downed wires all around us. We were lucky to know where a spring was and we’re very conservative with gas on car. I had stored food away so I’m not so sure we would all ultimately die. There might be a remnant that make it through. Of course it’s a different scenario. You would have to keep a low profile.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,608.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It’s the digital economy and furtherance of automation.
Won't be a problem when the power goes out if people still have access to analogue thinking. But for most they will find themselves destitute, both physically and financially.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟311,608.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes, being old and beyond prunable, I had considered selling my main property but a voice in the back of my mind from the roller coaster late 70's reminded me that throughout history and after every crash, those who fared reasonably well were those who had property. It is more valuable than digits.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You speak a sad truth. I think with covid and Russia a lot of people are taking prepping more seriously. But then there is a "1999" mentality where people just choose to die. Bad move. Starving is not a fun way to die. It is absolute agony. Worse is watching your children die. So horrible.
There is a reason you hear true stories about cannibalism. That is what starving does to people. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, being old and beyond prunable, I had considered selling my main property but a voice in the back of my mind from the roller coaster late 70's reminded me that throughout history and after every crash, those who fared reasonably well were those who had property. It is more valuable than digits.
People ask me what to invest in. Very simple. Pay off your debts, especially your land and home. If you now have an expensive home, sell it and buy a smaller place preferably with land.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Won't be a problem when the power goes out if people still have access to analogue thinking. But for most they will find themselves destitute, both physically and financially.
:coldsweat::fearful::fearscream:

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟808,804.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Know some plan to rely on rabbits and chickens so wondering how to determine if they're really healthy to purchase. Currently in several states rabbits have a highly-contagious virus and on another thread they posted about a bird flu problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,784,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey,

Does anyone here live totally off-grid? (Solar power, a monthly electric bill of 0 dollars) If so I would like to hear about it.
My husband and I own a place in a different country which is off grid. We use solar power and a butane back up which is used for the refrigerator all the time.
The house is smaller so we get away with only needing 16 solar batteries, and we can go 5 days that are overcast, or very gray, without needing the butane back up. The only utility bill we have is for wireless internet y-mac (think that is what it is) . We can get TV that way too. The signal has to come from a tower that we have line of sight of to the antennae on our house. Most countries (third world that is) rely on that technology.
We also collect rain water to a cistern and filter that and use it. The water from the toilet goes to a septic tank, and then we use a grey water system for water from the sinks. For food trash, we compost, though I don't like composting chicken bones. Animals do get into the compost once in a while.

Last edited:
Upvote 0