• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Normal to feel nothing?

alive2Christ

Apr 20, 2012
✟23,899.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
At the end of Oct. Or beginning of Nov 22,I repented and believed in Jesus death and resurrection for my sins. I was aware that my desires had changed towards my sins and I really felt that I had faith. It faded but I thought Jesus doesn’t change so he’ll be back/is still with me. A few months later, I felt that I believed stronger that Jesus died for me. The faith in the cross was stronger still than when I first believed. The love I felt lasted about 2 or 3 weeks and was wonderful!
The thing that is unsettling me now is, I don’t feel anything of any kind (Other than feeling unsettled). It’s not that I don’t believe in God . I just can’t seem to feel either way about anything, like when a loved one dies and you can’t understand why you’re not grieving and just feel emotionally numb. I feel that I should be feeling more love to Jesus. one of the first things I came across in the bible after I repented and believed, was 1 Corinthians : 1:9 God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. The words God is faithful brought joy and comfort in an instant! I was thinking of that and of Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength;
I am wondering if The Lord is telling me to diligently read the bible and not wait for comfort to come upon me before I do. I am a terrible procrastinator. I often joke that I was going to procrastinate today, but I’ll wait ‘till tomorrow or another day. I hate being like that.
I am wondering if I’m being told to pursue Christ however unsettled I feel and pray more, and that that is what’s meant by “waiting on The Lord”.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟569,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You want to feel something?

A couple things.
1. The next time you are temped, refer to 1 Corin 10:13. He is faithful to provide an escape from your temptation.

1 Corinthians 10:13 ISV
13. No temptation has overtaken you that is unusual for human beings. But God is faithful, and he will not allow you to be tempted beyond your strength. Instead, along with the temptation he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to endure it.

That is a direct intervention by God. Count on it.

2. The next time it is appropriate to do so, talk about Jesus and the gospel in a public place to people who may not be believers.

There will be people who do not like it because they are not believers and in their fallen state they may resist as their father would. If perchance they may react negatively with insults or mocking, then congratulations .. you have been persecuted. React with LOVE! This has an effect on your spirit. God will strengthen you and comfort you in your suffering and walking in LOVE..

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟424,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes pursue Him. There is much more joy to come. You should be in a church where you are fed and given understanding. At least you should get one spiritual meal a week . Plus you will benefit by your own study. The excitement is catchy in church!

Upvote 0

alive2Christ

Apr 20, 2012
✟23,899.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yes pursue Him. There is much more joy to come. You should be in a church where you are fed and given understanding. At least you should get one spiritual meal a week . Plus you will benefit by your own study. The excitement is catchy in church!
I’m a member of the free Church of Scotland. We sing mostly Psalms and one hymn accompanied by a piano. The atmosphere is very friendly and traditional. The fellowship is great and feels like family. Years ago, I used to really have to force myself to go to church, but now it’s a joy. Last Sunday I didn’t get to church because I was unwell and it felt like I was away for ages, although I watched the service online. I can’t imagine not going to church now. It’s a vital part of my life now.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
It is faith in Jesus that gives a person Eternal Life, may be your object of faith is incorrect.

That is faith in Jesus, is who He says He is The promised Messiah, The only begotten Son of God, the resurrection and the life. If you believe this then you have received God's free gift of Eternal Life and have crossed over from death to life. You have become a born again child of God and this is not based on feelings but on God's promise that all who believe in Jesus receive Eternal Life.

Your object of faith should be the person Jesus and not things Jesus did or accomplished or things you may do like repentance. The things Jesus did should point you to the person Jesus so you may have faith in Jesus

Last edited:
Upvote 0

alive2Christ

Apr 20, 2012
✟23,899.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
One thing I remembered reading, is that John Bunyan went through a time when he said he would have given all he had just to feel something. He later said he realised that God was teaching him not to rely on how he felt. I think these things take time to learn. It’s a bit like separation anxiety When a child is left in its cot and can’t see its father’s face and has to learn that its father is still here. I remember my father saying “I’m still here” from behind the door when I was little. If not to me, to my younger siblings.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hallelujah! Another person added to the Kingdom!

Reading the Bible is a good practice to do. It is not necessary to read the Bible every day to be saved, but it is good to do. I would say read the Bible if you can every day. If you miss a day, it is not the end of the world. Reading the Word of God is one of the best ways to draw near to God. The Bible says, "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." But keep in mind that we are not perfect in drawing near to God. And it is normal to have periods where you do not "feel" God there. But He is still there! Confessing your sins to God every day is also a good practice just like reading your Bible. There is also prayer, which is like the other two. But if you miss a day, it's okay! Just try and do it the next day. God will always accept you if you come to Him! We are not expected to be perfect. In fact, we cannot be perfect! What God cares about is that you try and He knows you are going to mess up. If you mess up, confess your sin to God and He will accept you with open arms even if you don't feel anything.

Feeling isn't everything. Sometimes there is knowledge we have that stays with us even if we don't feel anything. Rely on what you know rather than what you feel because feelings come and go.

As long as you still believe in the life, death, and resurrection of Christ--that Christ died on the cross for your sins, you're good! There is a lot of theology you can concern yourself with. While theology is good to study because it is part of loving God with you mind (Part of the Greatest Commandment) it is not necessary to know all the ins and outs of theology to be saved.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟459,863.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Go to a good church where they seek actively the power of God and the Holy spirit, VERY IMPORTANT.
God manifests a lot better when there are groups of his people.
Like someone said, is like when little flames get together they make a big flame. And Jesus promised to stay with us when we reunite.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟326,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This just tells me it's time to get off the milk of your faith and move on to the meat. Feed more heartily.

Loving Jesus isn't a feeling, in this case love is an action word. So get moving ! Read 1 Corinthians 13 which is about agape love, it's all actions nothing at all about feeling . Study, take a bible course, offer your services at church and elsewhere in His name. Start someplace there, He didn't save you to feel fluffy love but to use you. When you read the bible you understand the words and you know they are of God, this is to be cherished and the fruit of it shared. And the more you read and study it the better you come to understand what it's saying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟569,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Faith pleases God.
Faith means to believe with little or no evidence a thing is true.
Sometimes people go months and longer feeling nothing. Yet they continue to believe and look expectantly.
That is the lesson of Heb 11.
Faith is evidence of things not seen.
It is impossible to please God apart from faith. We have to both believe He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
Many listed in Heb 11 believed for promises they never received. Yet they believed right up to their deaths.
They pleased God.

Upvote 0