super mom

Jan 17, 2005
utah
✟22,762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i have a twoalmost three year old that was recently diagnosed with adhd and odd and the possiblity of autism

now due to some recent behaviors my youngest now 18 months may have autism as well

i am pregnant and due in feb 08

all three kids were concieved while on birth control

i am at a loss as to what to do i am praying the the new baby has none of these.

does anyone else have multiple special needs children?
can anyone help me with advice and support?

lavenderbees

Nov 17, 2007
✟7,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what "odd" is.

ADHD - lots of children have that. One of mine has it but I just ignore it. They grow out of it eventually.

I would not worry about the autism too much at this stage. Wait until they are given a definite diagnosis.

If you find that your child won't talk and you cannot communicate with him/her, that is the time to worry. If the child is communicating/talking, I would not worry. One of mine has mild autism (Aspergers) but he manages OK - he can talk and is perfectly continent.

It is when I compare my child with ADHD and my child with Aspergers with my other child who is severely autistic - i.e. did not talk or understand until age 8 - still in nappies age 9 - that I realise that the other two are OK.

I hope that yours will be OK too.

Upvote 0

Dreamomto4

Nov 17, 2007
Kitchen
✟15,176.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
is communication the main issue? If so, there is a lot of value in teaching sign. Uses a different part of the brain. Many children with other needs find using sign to be easier than trying to remember words. Much less frustration for them, which frees up emotions and keeps the behaviours at a more manageable level.

just a thought.

Upvote 0

super mom

Jan 17, 2005
utah
✟22,762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
is communication the main issue? If so, there is a lot of value in teaching sign. Uses a different part of the brain. Many children with other needs find using sign to be easier than trying to remember words. Much less frustration for them, which frees up emotions and keeps the behaviours at a more manageable level.

just a thought.

my 18 month old has picked up on signing but my two yra old has problems with it

Upvote 0

homeschoolmama

Mar 15, 2008
✟15,774.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey, I have 2 with special needs. Just offering hugs. I'd advise not getting your next child vaccinated since they say it could cause autism and other problems.

Melancholia, ADHD is not something you outgrow. Allergies, maybe, but not ADHD. It's considering a neurological condition and some believe it's on the autism spectrum. Not putting you down - not everyone knows this about ADHD. If a child was hyper when they were young and as they grew, they stopped being so hyper, it wasn't really ADHD. Sadly, a lot of kids are being mislabeled as this only so the teachers could get the parents to put them on meds unnecessarily.

Upvote 0

ms2009

Sep 19, 2012
✟15,115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Clearly, this is an old thread, but I just joined the forum yesterday.

Both my step-daughters are special needs; the oldest has Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD and Oppositional Defiant Disorder. The youngest has autism and an intellectual disability. They also live with us full-time and generally only see their mother two weekends a month.

It has been a serious struggle in our household, but I can say that in the last two years, after they both received professional evaluations which led to a host of resources for us, things are improving. Both take medication for their deficits, and both are in targeted case management due to their risk of psychiatric hospitalization.

Testing can never be done too soon and the earlier the interventions, the better. As someone else said, ADHD is not something they outgrow. It is a true neurobiological condition that has to be treated as such. Kids with ADHD disorders can be taught how to compensate for their deficits and oftentimes, medication is needed. Diet modification can help, too, in some instances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Roxa

Daughter of the King
Oct 29, 2003
BC
Visit site
✟10,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have 2 special needs children. The oldest we are working on getting diagnosed, and out second child was diagnosed just after birth with Polymicrogyria and Arthrogryposis, as well as physical disabilities.
When we became pregnant with our third baby we were worried that there would be special needs there as well, but so far we do not see any problems. He is almost 18mths and so far he has reached every milestone.

Upvote 0

Tri21Mom

Aug 4, 2015
✟15,134.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I know this is an old thread, but (like 'ms2009' back in 2012 :wave:) I too have just joined CF and wanted to see if were are any updates. I suppose if there were, you all would have posted, but if there is anything anyone would like to talk about, please reply and we can discuss.....LIFE, I guess. It can be tremendously difficult at times, can't it?

We have two sons with Down syndrome: one biological (13yo), one adopted (7yo). The seven year-old also likely has Autism, though we are waiting for a follow-up appointment with a developmental pediatrician to obtain an official diagnosis. Right now he's just diagnosed as PDD-NOS. He's completely non-verbal, though he has an Augcom device, but doesn't care much for it beyond using it for stimming with :O/

I have a request, but I don't know if this is the correct thread to post it on, so I'm going to read through this board and, if not, I'll make a new thread. I just wanted to introduce myself and find out how you all were faring, since we're in the same boat.

God Bless,
MJ

Upvote 0