I've decided enough is enough.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟927,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It’s usually a good idea to try to lose weight before surgery. If nothing else, it helps you get into a new mindset.

Yeah I'll probably mention to my surgeon that I'm going to try to lose at least the weight that I gained from being put on my antipsychotic. He's mentioned to me that exercising is very important to not only losing weight in the first place but to the procedure itself also.

From what I understand, you’ll have cravings. You just do not eat as much food. Although that can change over time. I know a lot of people are referred to weight loss therapists to help them through their journey.

Yeah I think a dietician comes with the surgery although I don't know if we have to pay for one out of pocket. If we do my mom can help with that expense or our deacons and treasurers can help with it as well. I've got a very good support system so financial costs I'm not worried about unless it's like 1k a month like the weight loss injections. My mom doesn't have THAT kind of money nor would a person who is a doctor and makes like 200k a year.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I've pretty much exhausted all other options at this point.
Except for the option to quit eating. I cut down to one meal a day. I would only eat for one hour and did not eat for the other 23. Because the doctors want you eating something. They are not big on fasting although fasting by far is the easiest way to lose weight. I went from 400 down to 230. Then the doctor put me on exercise machines and that makes it very hard to lose weight.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟927,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Except for the option to quit eating. I cut down to one meal a day. I would only eat for one hour and did not eat for the other 23. Because the doctors want you eating something. They are not big on fasting although fasting by far is the easiest way to lose weight. I went from 400 down to 230. Then the doctor put me on exercise machines and that makes it very hard to lose weight.

Not really when I starved myself for 3-4 months all I lost was about 20 pounds and I gained it ALL back in a week or two after I started eating small meals again. Trust me, when I said I've tried everything, I've tried it all including not eating a single morsel at all and just drinking water.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,737,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not really when I starved myself for 3-4 months all I lost was about 20 pounds and I gained it ALL back in a week or two after I started eating small meals again. Trust me, when I said I've tried everything, I've tried it all including not eating a single morsel at all and just drinking water.
Not eating correctly can play havoc with your metabolism. Any doctor will tell you that. Only do as your doctor advises.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I guess I am a yoyo dieter, if you add it all up I have lost over 500 pounds of weight.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟927,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So I had another consultation. I decided on the gastric sleeve surgery and I'm going to be getting blood work in July. I figured the Gastric sleeve surgery would be the safest surgery for me to go through and it's less restrictive than the gastric bypass which basically would make me miserable. I start physical therapy and I start seeing a nutritionist in July and my surgery will be scheduled for some time in November. I'll continue to update this thread as things go along thank you for all of your support and comments <3

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,737,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I had another consultation. I decided on the gastric sleeve surgery and I'm going to be getting blood work in July. I figured the Gastric sleeve surgery would be the safest surgery for me to go through and it's less restrictive than the gastric bypass which basically would make me miserable. I start physical therapy and I start seeing a nutritionist in July and my surgery will be scheduled for some time in November. I'll continue to update this thread as things go along thank you for all of your support and comments <3
Glad you are on the road to recovery! :) :praying:

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟927,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Glad you are on the road to recovery! :) :praying:

Yup! I had actually lost 2 pounds from last month! I technically did it when i wasn't in the program so any weight loss is/was welcome!

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟927,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Congratulations!

Thank you! Only 248 pounds to go. Lol! Oh! I did want to mention but forgot, that I asked if I lost like 60 pounds total on the program or more before my surgery of I could change my mind on the surgery and continue in the program and the head nurse said "absolutely" so I'm giving losing weight on my own with a physical therapist and a nutritionist guiding every step of the way another go. If I drop 60 or more pounds by my surgery date I'm probably going to give the rest of the weight a try since the gastric sleeve is an irreversible surgery. If I fail we can schedule a surgery again. I'm apparently in the program for life to ensure that I maintain a healthy weight for the rest of my life so I'm really, really happy about that. Ice been obese since I was 10 years old so I barely remember what it's like to not be obese you know?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟927,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I pray that God will be with you through the surgery and help you to lose weight and keep it off.

Thank you very much for the prayers. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟207,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
There's nothing wrong with enjoying food but it shouldn't be your God. The realities of what you've done and what it requires for correction should jar you. The impact of your actions on others should stop you in your tracks. You aren't the only one affected. Look at your wife. Doesn't she deserve a spouse who's healthy and supportive? You're putting more on her plate every morsel you eat. She's the one who has to pick up the slack when you can't.

You haven't reached the point of contrition. When you have you aren't thinking of take out. You're facing the music. You look in the mirror unclothed and see what you've done. You watch others do the things you can't because your body prevents it and see the gravity of your mistake.

You should love yourself more than that plate. When you grasp what you've done to your temple and it truly disgusts you and you demand change. Not want it. When you accept nothing less than its correction the cravings will cease and the portions will be appropriate.

Gluttony is self-destructive and the remedy is self-control. You can't be supported by someone who enabled you. They didn't have the courage to tell you to stop or put their foot down and force the issue. I had a friend in a similar situation who married a girl who was obese. He was smaller and more active but when he moved to be with her the weight piled on. They ate out a lot and both balllooned.
Honestly, weight gain is a side effect of antipsychotic medication that is used to treat schizophrenia, which @Neostarwcc is taking. I would not be writing such things for this case. The cravings may also be a side effect of the medication as well.

I pray that this surgery goes well, that the psychiatrist who is treating the schizophrenia is made aware of this situation, and that everything proceeds in a healthy manner.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟927,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, weight gain is a side effect of antipsychotic medication that is used to treat schizophrenia, which @Neostarwcc is taking. I would not be writing such things for this case. The cravings may also be a side effect of the medication as well.

I pray that this surgery goes well, that the psychiatrist who is treating the schizophrenia is made aware of this situation, and that everything proceeds in a healthy manner.

Right and the whole bariatric team including my surgeon is working at trying to figure out ways to make my surgery a success despite the weight gain from my antipsychotics. The surgeon mentioned that he has had schizophrenic patients before (he's been doing bariatrics for over 30 years) and he mentioned how challenging it was to try to counteract the side effects of antipsychotics and bariatrics because he's had patients gain over 100 pounds from anti psychotics before. I think ive gained maybe 100 points on anti psyhotics since i started taking them back in 2011. And thats from trying dozens of medicines to find the right ones to handle my psychiatric symptoms. My manic symptoms still exist but my psychiatrist is working on that.

Another thing theyre working on is one of my medications (latuda) I have to take with 350 calories for it to absorb properly into my system. Because the calories need to absorb the gastric sleeve operation is really my only option. So they're trying to figure out especially in the early stages of my surgery when I can only have 800 calories of liquids or so how to incorporate my Latuda into that as well because its so helpful that i cant switch to another medication. I'm really, really happy with the whole bariatric team because between all of us we're trying to make this surgery as safe and effective as possible. Especially when I have 200-250 pounds to lose trying to battle medication that causes moderate weight gain as a side effect with a medicine that needs 30% of my daily calories to work. My team will figure it out, I'm confident about that. But it will be a challenge.

My psychiatrist and GP are aware i'm getting weight loss surgery as well though. In fact it was my GPs proddings for the past 2 years that talked me into the surgery in the first place because we've exhausted nearly everything else between the two of us without success. He really said that this was my only option left.

Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0